UK theme parks from another point of view!

dbeatz13
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Celebrities at AT

Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:16 pm

Which celebrities have you seen at Alton Towers? Have you sat near them on a ride (maybe even managed to get them in your ride photo?)

I saw Tony from Hollyoaks (if you can count him as a celeb) eating at the X-Sector KFC - poor guy was getting hounded by young girls :P

AshleeK
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Celebrities at AT

Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:50 pm

I remember a thread on here a while back with a lot of pictures of 'celebs' on the rides and stuff. Personally, unless it was somebody A-list, I'd abselutely hate to see a celebrity at Alton Towers, because the park seems to give them preferential treatment because they are famous. For example, they get whole rides to themselves, even if they don't have an entourage (I've seen a picture of Sophie Ellis Bexter and some random dude on Oblivion by themselves, and Jonathan Ross got to go on Th13teen with just his wife), and what's more they don't seem to have to queue. Now, if I was waiting in a massive queue for Rita, and Katie Price got to swan past and have the whole ride to herself without waiting, I'd be rather annoyed to say the least. It's not like any of these celebrities are of the caliber of Kevin Spacey or Alanis Morissette or even Brian Blessed - they are nothing more than B-list at best and from what I've seen, get treated much better than the rest of the public. It's not on. I deserve to be treated the same, nay, better, than Dappy for ****'s sake!

James
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:17 pm

Here's the old topic: Celebrities at Alton Towers Resort

...and pictures of celebs at the resort posted on AT's Facebook page: Alton Towers Resort Celebrity Sightings

I used to be the type of person that goes "Oh my god, it's Dani Harmer from Tracey Beaker!11!". Now I tend to not care really, they are just normal people with normal lives, I think some of them that visit places like Alton get to much of what they want, they act like children "oh I'm famous, give me free frastrack, give me a free helicopter pad, give me free food, drink etc." They expect to be treated like gods just because there names are well known. Obviously not all celebrities are like this, some of them are the kindest people you could ever come across.

Oh and if Katie Price came up to me and I was working for Alton management I'd tell her to get to the back of the f'ing queue and wait like everyone else. :P

nicolah
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:37 pm

i saw Kevin Webster from coronation street a few years back with his kids on the tractors and the bouncing bugs.
nicola hunter

Anonymous

Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:56 pm

People I've met whilst working at towers.

N-Dubz - Completely annoying, they kept asking me for front row re-rides. Dealing with them wasn't easy!

Jonathon Ross - Completely easy to get along with and understands he can't get everything he wants

Wayne Rooney - Simple anoy ride on the back row and he was gone.

BBC Film Crew (Think it was the CBBC thing?) - Loved these guys, had a laugh and I got them on the front row.

Katie Price - What to say, um? Didn't speak to her directly at the exit but she was in my row I had to check.
Alex Reid - Same as above.

Dubai Royal Family - About a trains worth of a family came up to the exit, all the younger kids below 1.4m but they waived it off and let them ride! Shocking.

Nick Varney (Merlin/Geek celeb :P) - Came up to the exit, had a ride... carried on!

Some other celebs too, wasn't sure who some of them actually were though!

NF2
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:17 pm

So then Brett, does AT have a specific policy for dealing with zelebrities? Do they usually have publicists that get them exit passes, or do you ever witness people coming up the exit and demanding a free ride?

Also how did the Saudi Royal Family completely bypass the height limits? Surely rules are rules, especially in the interest of safety.

Anonymous

Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:23 pm

"NF2" wrote:
So then Brett, does AT have a specific policy for dealing with zelebrities? Do they usually have publicists that get them exit passes, or do you ever witness people coming up the exit and demanding a free ride?

They always have a member of staff with them, someone the rides teams know. Some even have a convoy of staff with them, depends.

"NF2" wrote:

Also how did the Saudi Royal Family completely bypass the height limits? Surely rules are rules, especially in the interest of safety.

I brought this up with one of the Directors who was present at the time and they simply said "don't worry"

Although, under B&M's safety guidelines... I could of e-stopped that ride with justification and over ride everybody there.

Vik
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:02 pm

I'm not sure about other so called Celebs', but I recall Th13teen opening day and Jonathon Ross getting some rides in before eevryone else. There were a couple of comments on his Twitter with comments such as :

I see fame hasn't gone to your head then, getting rides on 13 before everyone else

To which he replied :

Alton Towers offered the opportunity to to us to ride before everyone else, which we took up, the vast majority of the time I will queue just like everyone else.

Jonathon Ross is a regular visitor to Alton Towers, and is a Merlin AP holder, have seen him in queues on quite a few occasions. :D
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

monsterdan5

Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:26 pm

Slighty of Topic but we saw Heather from corrie at chessington,

she got stuck on Safari Skyway as she couldn't fit through the exit doors she was almost in tears as her kids were with her and everyone was watching :|

Gloomy Dude
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:34 pm

Duplicate topic, but worth reviving :)

I saw all the usual suspects at Th13teen's opening weekend (Jonathan Ross, Bill Bailey and a total rack of nobodies). Much to my shame, I also followed the Jack O'Connell (Cook from Skins) into a loo at ATH to confronted him about the frankly ridiculous end to the series that had been aired only the previous night... I blame the ale. He was very nice it must be said, despite my being rather obnoxious :oops:

Also, on a previous visit I passed Roy Walker of Catchphrase fame in ATH. He was presenting some corporate event.
[size=90]For some things there is no rational explanation. There is no way out. There is no happy ending to this story. Welcome to the unknown. Welcome to eternal darkness.

Welcome to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - The Ride

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:42 pm

I have seen the woman from Fleetwood Mac.

.Will

Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:04 pm

Erm the woman from Fleetwood Mac, which one there are two you know Stevie Nicks and Christine McVie ... To be honest I am a little bit offended by your lack of knowledge!

:P

Blaze

Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:17 pm

Only saw Wossy from the Thirteen queue when he was getting his ERT, and a few switchbacks behind me in the monorail queue that day was Bill Bailey no less.

Think that's all I've seen at Alton, although I am convinced I brushed shoulders with Chris Martin at Blackpool, but I'm not sure if it really was, and if it was, if the rest of the band were with him, it happened in a bit of a flash, to be honest. :lol:

Kaycee

Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:49 pm

I've seen Sophie Ellis-Bextor queue up and ride Oblivion with her husband inconspicuously with no fanfare whatsoever. No security, no preferential treatment - she certainly wasn't riding a shuttle on her own on her visit last season. :)

NickT04
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:59 pm

Imagine a two hour queue chatting to Wossy, that would be amazing! I've seen Jennifer Ellison twice on seperate years, but other than that I tend not to recognise people as I'm not really into this celebrity culture. I'd obviously recognise comedians that have been on tv and people like Ross etc. But put a filmstar in front of me and I'll have no idea!

CJH
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:08 pm

Stacy Soloman
Nikki Graham
Ravvi from Hollyoaks
P!nk (she came on rita whilst I was working)
Katie price
Harvey
Peter Andre
Alex Reid
Prince of Dubai (royal family of Dubai)
Wayne and Coleen Rooney
Joe Hart (fit as hell)
Plus others that I can't remember at the moment. :)
Chris 21 Manchester

Kendalgal
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:34 pm

Vernon from Corrie. NOBODY recognised him until i asked for his autograph and pic lol...then he was hounded. Poor man.
Mum to Hollie (9) & Madison (5)

thefatone
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:06 pm

Jason Grimshaw from corrie! Probably the only person I've been excited to see whilst at a park.

pillsburyb
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:29 pm

"nicolah" wrote:
i saw Kevin Webster from coronation street a few years back with his kids on the tractors and the bouncing bugs.

I seen kevin webster and his kids on hex, I think it was in 2001 or 2002

nicolah
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:02 pm

yeah it was proberly 2002 as my yougest was born in 2009 and she was there .
nicola hunter