UK theme parks from another point of view!

ponder
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Celebrities at AT

Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:53 pm

Not at Alton, but I crossed paths with Geri Halliwell as I was leaving Nemesis Inferno. She got on through the exit line, but I don't think they gave her the train to herself, just the front row.

Loop - Roller coaster and Theme Park inspired T-shirts
http://looptees.com / https://www.facebook.com/looptps

nicolah
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:57 pm

i am so sorry about my post it is wrong my daugher was born in 2001 dont know why 2009 came up :(
nicola hunter

Blaze

Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:06 pm

If that *insert expletive here* from N-Dubz made death threats to someone for saying they don't like them, I'd hate to have to tell them to queue like the rest of us. If I was the one making them queue, I'd make sure to appologize to the rest of the queue for making them share space with those *expletives*.

Blaze

Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:18 pm

Probably, but most guests aren't in the public eye and seen by some (laughably) as role models.

lagolfer09
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:57 pm

We sat by Jonathan Ross in the Alton Towers Hotel for breakfast on the opening day last year :D ..It was in the Secret Garden Restaurant

Jill88
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:14 pm

I saw Alan Carr filming for the Friday Night Project at Oblivion's hole. Must've been about 3 years ago maybe.

Adam
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:29 pm

Saw quite a few in the waterpark and around the resort last year around the press launch of Th13teen. Most noticeably I met Bill Bailey while I was working in the Waterpark. :)
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."

hex4ever
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:21 pm

The thing is these people don't always walk on the rides because of their name, it could be a security thing, especialy if you are Jonathan Ross, someone who isn't universaly loved.

Th13teen wasn't over hyped, just over anticipated

Happiness
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:48 am

The dubai royal family was the best one! haha
they walked up the exit to thirteen and the ride op. spotted that their security guys had guns, so they told the ride hosts...

the ride op said ..."go ask them to leave their guns here or they cannot ride"

the security guys said they didn't have any guns, so the ride host went back n told the ride op.

the ride op said over the tannoy "leave your AK 47's (or something - the ride op. knew the name of the gun) or get off the ride"

so the security men got off the ride took their jackets off, displaying all of their badges and guns, n left the ride via the queue line.

true story... (may be missing a few details but you get the jist if it)

gosling
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:06 pm

"damos1" wrote:
^Being honest they should not really be on the park with weapons of any kind in the first place.

If any of us did that we would be out the park so fast...

Is there maybe an exception for official security persons? I have no idea about those kinds of laws etc... But surely there is something in there about Royal security being allowed to carry weapons, where ever they are in the world?

The reason any of us would get thrown out is because we aren't bodyguards/security guards (unless any of you are) so it would make no sense for us to have a gun at Alton Towers.

Anyway, back OT, I have never seen a celebrity there, although I have been informed a number of times that famous people have been on the park the same time as me (footballers, models, other irrelevant people). Generally I think "Oh, well where are they? We'll go the opposite end of the park and hopfully won't end up anywhere near the same rides." Mainly because where ever the celebrity is, a lot of park guests will sort of flock that way. And also because I paid to get into a theme park, not a Heat magazine hotspot.
~ Good try but not this time ~

barryzola

Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:57 pm

Kerry Katona was on park today with a filming crew. Probably for some TV show of hers. Saw her crew going on the Skyride (unless it was some other celeb who looked exactly like her).

AshleeK
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:03 pm

"barryzola" wrote:
Kerry Katona was on park today with a filming crew. Probably for some TV show of hers. Saw her crew going on the Skyride (unless it was some other celeb who looked exactly like her).

Thank God I didn't go today. I just hope none of these 'celebs' are there on thursday.

On Alton Tower's Facebook group they posted some brand-spanking new pictures of the 'fabulous' Katie Price. There seemed to be quite a lot of anger aimed at her being on Oblivion with only her tag-alongs, although one of her fans was quick to defend her with a bullet-proof argument:

**** leave her alone? shes a celeb who could get hurt queing for a ride? as she has many haters? plus she amazing. so fu.

James
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:12 pm

"AshleeK""][quote=""barryzola" wrote:

Thank God I didn't go today. I just hope none of these 'celebs' are there on thursday.

On Alton Tower's Facebook group they posted some brand-spanking new pictures of the 'fabulous' Katie Price. There seemed to be quite a lot of anger aimed at her being on Oblivion with only her tag-alongs, although one of her fans was quick to defend her with a bullet-proof argument:

reproduce leave her alone? shes a celeb who could get hurt queing for a ride? as she has many haters? plus she amazing. so fu.
[/quote]

That well thought out, excellently written argument by one of her fans just shows how clever they are! [/sarcasm]

I hate the one picture of Katie on an empty Oblivion shuttle, what makes her so special that she needs a whole shuttle to herself and her friends? Celebs really frustrate me sometimes, staff at places like Alton should tell them to shove it, they're no more special than we are.

As for Kerry Katona on park filming, it's probably for her ITV2 show I'm guessing.

CJH
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:15 pm

"Happiness" wrote:
The dubai royal family was the best one! haha
they walked up the exit to thirteen and the ride op. spotted that their security guys had guns, so they told the ride hosts...

the ride op said ..."go ask them to leave their guns here or they cannot ride"

the security guys said they didn't have any guns, so the ride host went back n told the ride op.

the ride op said over the tannoy "leave your AK 47's (or something - the ride op. knew the name of the gun) or get off the ride"

so the security men got off the ride took their jackets off, displaying all of their badges and guns, n left the ride via the queue line.

true story... (may be missing a few details but you get the jist if it)

Last season I was working on 13 both days that the Dubai royal family was on park. Not at all did this happen! I was on the platform both times over the two days and that just didn't happen.
So maybe missing a few details? More like ALL of the facts. A ride-op would not say that over the PA, one for security reasons and possibly scaring the guests and 2 he/she would call a host to the cabin to sort the issue out, or over the internal Ai-phones.
Chris 21 Manchester

AltonThorpe
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:07 pm

I saw Austin Healey (Ex-England Rugby Star) at Alton Towers a few years ago. Many of you might not know who he is but he now works for ESPN rugby and BBC Six Nations Coverage. He was a nice enough guy, I suppose no one knew who he was so he was left alone! :D
England 38-21 New Zealand - 1st December 2012

Twickenham Stadium

djtruefitt

Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:23 pm

I totally forgot about this thread but last weekend on the Saturday of the opening meet none other than Coronation Streets Kevin Webster (aka Michael something or other?) was there with his son. I saw him at the monorail at the start of the day and near Rita later in the morning. I did feel a bit sorry for him as people kept going up to him all the time for photos and stuff.