UK theme parks from another point of view!

Ritadz
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Half term opening brought forward and Facebook free entry!

Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:24 pm

Hang on a sec, Merlin? Free?

:shock:

James
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:02 pm

"Ritadz" wrote:

It's not a Merlin offer though, it's an Alton Towers offer, made by the marketing team...

Johno
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:03 pm

I have a feeling that this places thing is a voucher that only appears on your phone when you 'check in' at Alton Towers.

Think it's part of Facebook's new marketing advertising thing?

Alex Tyler
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Air, Forbidden Valley, Alton Towers, Alton, Staffordshire, ST10 4DB

Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:06 pm

"Crofty" wrote:
I Think it's very odd for Alton to be offering free hotel stays for the Friday night. Maybe they are expecting people not to take the offer up as they would not have gone prepared for an overnight stay. :)

The free night can be any time, it won't be the 18th.

James
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:12 pm

"alex tyler""][quote=""Crofty" wrote:
I Think it's very odd for Alton to be offering free hotel stays for the Friday night. Maybe they are expecting people not to take the offer up as they would not have gone prepared for an overnight stay. :)

The free night can be any time, it won't be the 18th.[/quote]

The free night is on the 18th. Taken from the offer FAQ.
"Alton Towers" wrote:
What is the Deal on 18th February at Alton Towers Resort?
On Friday 18th February, the Alton Towers Theme Park will open a day earlier than planned for the Half Term holiday, offering exclusive use for anyone who checks in on that day only. The first 100 to check in will also receive a free one night stay in one of the fantastically themed Resort Hotels on Friday 18 February.

:)

Joel

Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:21 pm

Yes, it unlocks a "coupon" on the screen when you check in.

The coupon has an expiry time set also,

An example:

Don't forget you (unless you're rather intelligent enough to hack the service and your phone, not impossible ;)) need to be stood in the close vicinity of the check in point (i.e. the entrance plaza!) to succesfully check in.

You can check in friends that aren't there however, so they can gain entry. But I'm guessing they ultimately need to be present when you redeem the coupon at the cashier/turnstyle, and we have no idea what the expiry time on them will be (they might be 'cruel' to stop people cheating and set it to like an hours expiry or something, as technically you should be there when you check in anyway!).

They can also limit the deal to one device check in in 24 hours or even one time only, which I'm guessing they'll do to stop people passing their phones around. Then again, they might not :P

Also the hotel thing - I can only think they'll either have another places check in for it (as you can limit Facebook Deals to the first 100 customers for example, but its still open to cheating, unless the expiry time is really low!), or, what might seem the more sensible route for them would be the first 100 people through the turnstyle to claim it at a certain point after the turnstyle. (i.e. first 100 people in a line after they are through the gate!).

I guess we'll find out soon enough though :P

fredward

Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:29 pm

Wouldn't they get more money if they had a Merlin/Alton pass only day like Thorpe has? Instead of giving tickets away for free... although I suppose Facebook is paying for them...

Maelstrom
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:45 pm

Facebook won't be paying anything to Alton towers. They will make money on food/drink, games and merchandise plus on ride photos. If people get in free they are more likly to spend more money in the park than they normally would.

John
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:52 pm

It'll be interesting to see how many people turn up. If it was this offer that caused their site to go offline that could be an indication of a huge turnout, and given that at least 2 major coasters will be shut and others are likely to be below full capacity they could have problems.

Emrys
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:07 am

Out of curiosity, does anyone know who runs the Facebook for Alton Towers? They were still online answering questions around 2 hours ago. That's pretty good customer service.

Fair play to AT though, brilliant deal that is bound to bring in customers that wouldn't normally entertain the idea of visting Alton Towers. If they are really clever, they should sell a more expensive version of Towers2, but less than online price if you return during off peak. I can however see there being turmoil at the gate based on many peoples questions on the Facebook page. I can't honestly see them being 100% strict with this, it's stupid to turn away people at the gate just because they havn't got the right application because those guests will spend money on park.

Jordan

Half term opening brought forward and Facebook free entry!

Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:58 am

"Emrys" wrote:
Out of curiosity, does anyone know who runs the Facebook for Alton Towers? They were still online answering questions around 2 hours ago. That's pretty good customer service.

The AT Facebook page is ran by Wayne Burton, who I think is the Online Marketing Co-ordinator now. :-)

adsu123
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:02 am

I personally think its a great offer however what was better was how the great british people really couldnt grasp the concept of a free ticket. Have you ever seen so many of the same questions and also still people were moaning that it was unfair if you didnt have a smartphone or had to pay for parking. I lol'd lots yesterday!

Adam
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:03 am

It is very funny to read the Facebook comments. To be honest, I don't know how Wayne can answer the same question for the 1000th time without getting angry!
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."

adsu123
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:14 am

".Adam" wrote:
It is very funny to read the Facebook comments. To be honest, I don't know how Wayne can answer the same question for the 1000th time without getting angry!

I actually commented that I felt sorry for him at one point. The best one i read was how one woman was claiming that she must have been one of the first 100 people to log in to the website but then the website crashed and she was demanding the free tickets there and then. I do wonder how these people actually get out of bed in the morning!

Emrys
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:20 pm

It's not even as if AT have worded the offer in such a way you could be stung by it. It's in plain English with very basic instructions. I do understand people's frustration at the Blackberry 8520 as I have one myself and cannot get Places as I don't have GPS, but that's hardly Alton Towers fault. My friends and I are (as they all have basic models) using one of their phones and paying to use touch.facebook.com. For the sake of what, 30p we get 4 free tickets - brilliant!

The complaints that are annoying me are the people saying AT are offending their loyal paying customers by giving free entry to people who don't visit all the time. That baffles me, surely any loyal customer would jump at the chance of a free trip to AT? The General public will moan at anything [-X

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Half term opening brought forward and Facebook free entry!

Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:31 pm

"James""][quote=""Ritadz" wrote:

It's not a Merlin offer though, it's an Alton Towers offer, made by the marketing team...[/quote]
It amuses me how, when negative comments/observations are made, people are quick to (usually incorrectly) portion blame to Merlin, but when talking about something good, such as this great offer, people are careful to credit AT themselves... :P

Doopy Dan
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:43 pm

This looks like a good offer, well done Facebook!...and Alton Towers.

More info here on the whole idea.

[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12328291" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12328291[/url]

Jordan

Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:24 pm

Good news for people with iPod Touches (or those on unreliable phone networks):

"Commenting on Lewis Watson-Jones' Facebook post, Alton Towers" wrote:
We will be setting up wi-fi at the park entrance on the day for those who need it!

Joel

Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:51 pm

Watch that access point get trashed and overloaded in about 10 minutes then :P LMAO!

Still, better than nothing I suspect, and nice gesture of them for those with iPod Touches

Adam James
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:51 pm

Perhaps this promotion is being used to test the maximum thoroughput of the main entrance and therefore whether a second entry point is required? I've been thinking about the reasoning behind the free entry day, although running it to coincide with testing could hit two birds with one stone.

Either way, I am considering visiting, although it will be packed! :P