UK theme parks from another point of view!

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Oblivion - Now sponsored by Fanta

Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:01 pm

Actually I think Magic Mountain works quite well with Fanta. The colours match rather than clashing and it means the ride actually got new trains (assuming it was the sponsorship which paid for them).

However after seeing how Fanta advertised on Magic Mountain I can't imagine how someone thought it would work with Oblivion.

captain
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:10 pm

From RCDB:
"RCDB" wrote:
The Magic Mountain's original Arrow train chassis were replaced with new chassis from Vekoma in 2008 and for the 2009 season, the bodies were replaced.
So I think the trains came before the sponsorship, although I could be wrong. Maybe it came in 2009 so the new bodies could be fitted with Fanta logos straight away. Whilst the orange vaguely works, I really don't think the trains do, as you have a full rainbow of cars including brown riding a pale green track. Definite clashes.
"Nightfall" wrote:
However after seeing how Fanta advertised on Magic Mountain I can't imagine how someone thought it would work with Oblivion.
Absolutely. Gardaland, barring Raptor, has a pretty lighthearted feel and Magic Mountain barely has a theme other than the tree trunks, so it hasn't really affected the character and feel of the area. Unlike X-Sector, which is one of the most foreboding areas I've been in.

djtruefitt

Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:39 pm

After todays visit there really are Fanta adverts every where on the ride! From what I remember there are various different adverts:
- around the enterance to the queue
- above the enterance to the first area with TVs
- above the enterance to the second area with the TVs (under the station)
- on the air gates in the station
- around the bottom of the hole
- all around the rehydration bar
- on the outside of the hole facing towards KFC
- on the roof of the rehydration bar (used to be Coke Zero)
- and finally one giant advert across the whole of the wall inside one of the rooms with the tvs in (where the vending machines are).

Its aload of tummy bubbling fun!

Nerdsticks
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:43 am

It's a load of tummy bubbling s***! :evil:
But that's only icing on the s*** cake, next day they will go all out, you'll see that on the queue-line video it will randomly come out with "Before you meet oblivion, make sure you get a refreshing Fanta! It's tummy bubbling fun!". Next, they will rename the ride, it will be "FANTA, sponsored by Oblivion!". Hell, why not have a cute mascot of one of those guys from the advert and hand out free cans of Fanta! EVEN BETTER IDEA! Lets just repaint the whole track bright orange and then replace the mist with Fanta!

In fact, NEW FOR SCAREFEST 2011; THE DOWNFALL OF OBLIVION!
Dare you take on the horrors of what Fanta has done to this once beautiful roller coaster? Let the crazed Fanta mascot guide you through the wrecks of the queue line and brave the horrors that lurk inside! Not for the faint hearted! Get ready for some tummy bubbling fear!

THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS! :firebounce:
Scarefest lunatic!

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:47 am

"djtruefitt" wrote:
- and finally one giant advert across the whole of the wall inside one of the rooms with the tvs in (where the vending machines are).

This is new..the tack just keeps multiplying. :(

This is perhaps particularly devastating for the rides theme, as it's actually in one of the areas where the Lord of Darkness appears despite the fact vending machines have always been present; at least these serve a functional purpose.

:cry:

Coke
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:57 am

"djtruefitt" wrote:

This is the entrance to the last tunnel

This is the inside on the left hand wall (sorry for poor quality). It stretches all the way through the tunnel and up to the roof.

Also in the old Fastrack area there are lots of lockers packed up ready to be installed Image

Are you thirsty?

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:03 am

"djtruefitt" wrote:
- on the roof of the rehydration bar (used to be Coke Zero)
Wondered when this would be appearing. What does it look like? If it's just a Fanta logo that's fine but I really hope there's none of this Tummy Bubbling Fun nonsense.

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:13 pm

Forget sponsorship, this a retheme! :roll:

WillPS
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:28 pm

Also in the old Fastrack area there are lots of lockers packed up ready to be installed

Totally nitpicking, but that was never Fastrack - Oblivion never had 'proper' free Fastrack, but it did have VQ (Virtual Queue) in 2000.

NickT04
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:41 pm

That massive wall post is already being peeled off anyway from what I saw yesterday - they'll use all the sponsorship money replace that vinyl sticker wall paper! That can't be cheap!

After seeing it first hand, the problem for me is the really cheesy taglines and the VERY tacky "characters".

As someone who helps out with a football team I know if your looking for sponsorship you sell every little bit you can (back of shirt, shorts etc) so if we had to have this I can't help but feel this would of been better with a few Fanta logos (on entrance, without characters) and maybe two small logos either side of a shuttle and a web address in the middle (means adverts on the cars but better than those sodding characters.)

But anyway, it's still terrible, and makes me glad I only spent £2.28 on park yesterday :D

Blaze

Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:09 pm

This is starting to take the P now. :x

That huge wall poster is just too far. [-X

siralgenon
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:41 pm

This is the entrance to the last tunnel

Has anyone noticed the "more fanta...less serious" at the bottom. Great for one of the most serious rides in the world! :roll: #-o

joshc807
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:59 pm

"NickT04" wrote:
That massive wall post is already being peeled off anyway from what I saw yesterday - they'll use all the sponsorship money replace that vinyl sticker wall paper! That can't be cheap!

Peeling off you say? Next time I go on Oblivion, I might walk past the wall and accidently scrape it off :wink:

SEALIFE
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:30 pm

Don't you guys see! Its part of the retheme/development for X Sector! Its going to be FANTA LAND! YAY! :P

SIMR
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:17 pm

Anyone seen the new advert yet? :lol:

http://vimeo.com/23087473

Satch

Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:34 pm

Absolutely awful. Terrible. Such an eyesore and an incongrous mess. Makes me sick to the bone. Crabbe, what were you thinking?

MinteButtons

Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:49 pm

I think the thing that riles me the most is the phrase "Tummy Bubbling Fun". :evil:

If they do this to Oblivion, it makes me think, they've ruined this atmosphere of one ride and it won't be long until Nemesis follows. That would be the final straw.

Liam
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 01, 2011 12:03 am

The post-2005 management team were always going to be bad for this park and this is another example of that. They are POOR theme park managers; there's no way of getting around this.

Years ago I used to regularly post long intricate posts on here about how this park should be run.
I'm not even going to bother today. It's clear that the people in charge here are either corporate "yes-men" who've moved from elsewhere within the division, or have come into the theme park industry with no other experience.

The key to running a successful theme park is to remember that you're not selling a product but an experience. That takes creativity, and it cannot be run in the way other large businesses can be run. It's a pretty unique industry actually.

The mistake of the modern management here, and of Merlin, is that they treat these parks too much like a normal business, and it was always clear this was going to happen right from around 2004. To be fair to them, they improved the traditional business side of this enterprise over the next few years, and many on here thought that was brilliant. It mainly involved the refocusing on families, on targeting their brand (which was poorly revamped), and making the enterprise generally more efficient. Again, to be fair, certain aspects of this needed to be done to make the park viable, but they went over the top, and it seems like it's the only thing they know how to do - straight out of marketing or business school or whatever.
The tragic publicity stunts, in-your-face branding and general cheap corporate style in everything from food menus to the renaming of the water park, are emblematic of this.

The magical experience has been forgotten. Even the relative successful theme of Mutiny Bay, whilst a timid return to good theming, was ultra generic, was void of imagination and there was no attempt to create awe, or even a remotely captivating story that is free with the right team.
Secret Weapon 6 still hasn't been built yet in my view, 13 just isn't worthy of the title, and you could see that just from the plans when they were submitted. Again there was an attempt to bring in a slightly more creative theme compared to Rita etc. but it is implemented weakly, is totally unoriginal (it's a poor version of Hex) and contrasts awfully with the racing ride built only a fraction earlier.

This fanta thing just takes the biscuit though. Oblivion is a classic in the theme park world.
It built an experience, a story and its own atmosphere, that didn't rely on just the ride itself. Did they extremely well with a limited theming budget in 1998 (the landscaping and tech taking most of it) but it worked well because it had been designed. And designed properly, which used subtle techniques such as the aluminium surrounding the entrance arch, and the set concrete logos. The impressive contrast between JET BLACK paint, sharp orange paint, and smooth cream concrete was a key one. The area felt more tired for its age than other areas of the park because this paint had faded. The experience was roughly intact though. And I guess a significant bit remains (a legacy from 1998), however, a HUGE part has been taken away with all these CHEAP signs that are not executed well physically, nor the content designed well in terms of the emotions they evoke. A cartoon is the worst possible thing you could have brought to a ride such as this.

The FANTA deal is not a problem at all, it's the way it has been applied that is totally unprofessional.

Whoever signed off this one is a person who is not competent in their job.
And that's not a hyperbolous statement to make at all when you look at the evidence.

WillPS
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 01, 2011 12:14 am

I completely agree, when I saw how little thought was put in to Rita in 2005 I sort of lost hope.

Whilst I find it hard to convince myself that Fanta's current branding is a good match for Oblivion (especially given Fanta's current advertising scheme), they could certainly have done much better.

Pennywise
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 01, 2011 10:09 am

I saw the Fanta advertising for the first time yesterday... and I still consider the backlash on here to be an overreaction on certain TTF members' part. Nothing has been added that I would say ruins the ride, and the Fanta sponsorship certainly doesn't dominate the area as I had been led to believe. Sure it's not nice to look at, but at the end of the day if it's bringing money in that the park could (and I'm not saying that they will) put into new attractions, then I'm all for it.

:)

*runs from angry mob*