UK theme parks from another point of view!

AstroDan

Re: 2011: The Honest Truth

Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:06 pm

Alton Towers have done these sorts of things before. The customer councils of 2007 and 2010, for example.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Don't_Look_Down
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:58 pm

Alton Towers are now offering free ERT if you go on the 16th and 17th of June and check in with Facebook places.

Isn't ERT free anyway? :?
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!

John
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:47 pm

Only for AP holders, hotel guests and people with tickets bought online. Tomorrow and Friday everyone can get ERT, providing someone in their group has a good enough phone

MinteButtons

Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:18 pm

"John" wrote:
Only for AP holders, hotel guests and people with tickets bought online. Tomorrow and Friday everyone can get ERT, providing someone in their group has a good enough phone

Then what's the point of ERT if everyone can have it? :?

Pennywise
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:29 pm

"MinteButtons" wrote:
Then what's the point of ERT if everyone can have it? :?

Not everyone, read the post. ;)

Besides, the majority of guests don't turn up until 10am or after anyway, there are rarely ridiculous numbers of people involved in the 10am stampede anymore... ERT will still be quiet, I'm sure.

And "the point" of ERT has always been to have an extra hour riding some of the park's more popular attractions, for me, rather than having to be one of the only people on-park.

:)

Don't_Look_Down
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:56 pm

"John" wrote:

But aren't tickets bought online cheaper than on-the-gate prices? Hmm...

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:11 pm

"Don't_Look_Down""][quote=""John" wrote:

But aren't tickets bought online cheaper than on-the-gate prices? Hmm...[/quote] Yes they are. But the park want to encourage people to book in advance so they can use the data to help calculate how busy that day will be. It's the same reason why Pre-ordering a game or book is encouraged so the shop know roughly how many to order.

Letting everyone have ERT seems a bit silly to me. It’s hardly early ride time if everyone’s getting it but if they’re forecasting a really busy day it would make sense.

Don't_Look_Down
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:22 pm

^ Ah, I see.

Popularity contest I guess.
Last edited by Don't_Look_Down on Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!

Magrathea
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:24 pm

"Nightfall""][quote=""Don't_Look_Down""][quote=""John" wrote:

But aren't tickets bought online cheaper than on-the-gate prices? Hmm...[/quote] Yes they are. But the park want to encourage people to book in advance so they can use the data to help calculate how busy that day will be. It's the same reason why Pre-ordering a game or book is encouraged so the shop know roughly how many to order.

Letting everyone have ERT seems a bit silly to me. It’s hardly early ride time if everyone’s getting it but if they’re forecasting a really busy day it would make sense.[/quote]

Considering that the majority of guests will have the ability to check in on their phones, this is essentially a 9'o'clock opening for certain rides, and in the same way as "Today's Offer" increases guest satisfaction as they get more park hours than they should but feel they've deserved it because they've had to do something for it, meaning even if ERT is heaving there'll be a sense of exclusivity. That and it also helps Alton climb the check-in ranks, something we all know they're determined to do :P.

---- Post Info Added ----

"Nightfall""][quote=""Don't_Look_Down""][quote=""John" wrote:

Letting everyone have ERT seems a bit silly to me. It’s hardly early ride time if everyone’s getting it but if they’re forecasting a really busy day it would make sense.[/quote]

Considering that the majority of guests will have the ability to check in on their phones, this is essentially a 9'o'clock opening for certain rides, and in the same way as "Today's Offer" increases guest satisfaction as they get more park hours than they should but feel they've deserved it because they've had to do something for it, meaning even if ERT is heaving there'll be a sense of exclusivity. That and it also helps Alton climb the check-in ranks, something we all know they're determined to do :P.

WillPS
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:16 pm

"Magrathea" wrote:

Today's Offer increasing guest satisfaction?! Please!

Guests aren't stupid. They're not going to jump for joy at their ~2% saving on a product supposedly valued at £40.80.

In fact, for the few who turn up without vouchers (which I would imagine correlates with those who haven't planned at all pretty much) are likely to be pretty shocked that they're expected to pay £40 to get in, and that wont even include the cost of car parking!

Emrys
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:03 am

A heck of a lot of guests use the Two for One offer (of the non gate, on the day gate non gate price :? ). This will be an added bonus for them as they'll be able to save a packet and get ERT. It's a simple, but nice touch.

No money grabbing, no alternative motive, no having to sign up to this or that. Just a plain; check in and get in deal!

joshc807
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:49 pm

What I don't understand is why there wasn't a plan b?

Alton should always have a plan b whether it's a little flat ride, or just cleaning up the park a bit. When I found out there would be no new attractions I was expecting to walk into the park and be amazed at the cleaning up the park had done. But no. Instead I felt like the park had been open all winter and nothing had been done to the park. If maintenance and the management had a whole closed season with no new rides to sort out e.t.c, they should have thought, right lets sort out everything, lets fix the effects on Hex, lets clean up the park e.t.c. We have seen more work done around the park when there has been a new attraction. Now I'm not trying to criticize the park, but it seems as if the management have said to maintanence, have the winter off, just do the usual :x

James
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:34 pm

There was a plan B: Japanese Spider Crabs :P

To be fair we've had a new show (well, at least a different kids show) and a fair amount of events. While I'll agree with the majority I don't think Alton haven't really had a disastrous year, I just think someone, somewhere in either the Alton Towers or Merlin (or both) management teams has made all the wrong decisions with regards to budgets, attraction developments, park maintenance etc... Some of the managers at Alton Towers and at Merlin HQ are without a doubt very friendly, customer minded people who really do well for the company/business, although like any other company/business there are one or two "bad eggs" that aren't approaching the job as it should be approached; this has left Alton/Merlin with a hate bandwagon against them this season.

siralgenon
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:29 pm

They did have a plan B and that failed aswell lol :D

Evostance
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:21 pm

Nailed it on the head perfectly.

I've been going Alton at least once every year since I was around 13 - I am now 23 so i've seen it since the under developed Forbidden Valley with The Beast and Thunder Looper, right through to the construction of every ride since.

If my memory serves me right, I think there was at least one new ride a year, or something "big" every year. Thats what kept me going back - intense thrill rides, a clean park and surroundings, rides designed for the British climate, great theming etc

I've not become too fused about Alton recently and I thought it was due to my age, however this thread has pretty much summed it up. Its not because i'm too old, its because "the magic" has been lost - no wonder they removed 'Where the Magic Never Ends' from their logo.
Take a look at Disney, I LOVE the Disney theme parks, they don't add new rides every year. They keep people interested because of the amount of work that goes into the park. The gardens, the cleanliness and the theming.

I think Alton seriously need to look back at their past and see what they have become. Unfortunately it seems as if the times of Nemesis, Oblivion and Air have gone, and income the family pleasers such as Th13teen. Hopefully SW7 will bring back what's been lost and restore Alton Towers to its former position.

Alton need to identify who their market it - and its not families and their young kids. I should probably mention that P2P things are NOT a way to run a Theme Park. Alton has turned into an Amusement Park

DiogoJ42

Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:24 pm

There's nothing wrong with aiming for the family market. It's just a shame that UK parks seem to think families consist entirely of under 12s :roll: "family" should mean "everyone".

.Will

Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:30 pm

Including granny and grandad? I don't see much for the older generation to do at Alton Towers that is why I think some Garden development would be good.

Dormiens-Dave

Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:39 pm

I dont think the maintenance team failed at all... The only things that dont get fixed are ones that require investment from the powers that be (hex speakers... High end speakers can cost thousands of pounds)

Everything that can be done gets done by a group of very dedicated maintenance team as well as help from the ride teams.

This is my issue... It takes the effort of a few dedicated people to keep the magic slightly apparent when the top dogs make bad decision after bad decision

DiogoJ42

Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:47 am

Well, Kelpie's nan is in her 80s and enjoys "family" coasters ;)

I'd say that the gardens and towers are enough to keep most old folk happy. There are plenty of rides for the young nippers to enjoy. Alton just need to remember that not all adults are wussy parents with young kids!

.Will

Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:43 pm

My point was though Diogo is that I think they are missing on potentially a large ammount of money if they could attract more people to the gardens and make a seperate attraction out of them.