UK theme parks from another point of view!

Dormiens-Dave

Re: SkyRide Closure

Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:03 pm

No its not for the gondolas its for the cable

djtruefitt

Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:03 pm

No I belive that photo is when they changed the cable or did something to it last year.

They take the gondolas off in the towers street station where there is a big storage room for them all, I imagine its just a case of flipping a swich or something to add or remove them.

.Will

Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:14 pm

Yeah it is the cable change. Notice the cable drum in the bottom of the photo with the log ledged against it. They are used for transporting heavy duty cables.

warren90
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:18 pm

i don't mean to be funny or what. but the parks closes around 530-6 and goes dark around 1030 ish (on a bad day) so if i am thinking right, they could do it when ever 1 leaves the park. no H&S bcause there will be no 1 round to get hurt
[/b]"Where the Magic Comes Alive"[b]

Magrathea
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:21 pm

"warren90" wrote:
i don't mean to be funny or what. but the parks closes around 530-6 and goes dark around 1030 ish (on a bad day) so if i am thinking right, they could do it when ever 1 leaves the park. no H&S bcause there will be no 1 round to get hurt

I would IMAGINE that this is the kind of job which needs to be done of a series of days, and can't be left hanging between days in a way which would be safe for the public.

Also, it would hardly be practical to build the large wooden platforming just for the period between when the last guest leaves the park (way after forecast closing time) to when it goes dark.

LukeJ
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:28 pm

It goes dark at 9.37 tonight ( and its only just past midsummers day ) so it would probably be too dark to work past about 9.30.

I imagine this sort of work can take quite a few days (possibily even weeks?) so its not possible.

The wooden structure itself can take a few days to construct.

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:42 pm

Can't they just do it and close off small areas of the park at a time? :?

I can't believe its closed all season, just like that. :roll:

Dormiens-Dave

Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:54 pm

It takes weeks to take the cable off and put a new one on and they have to do the whole cable in one go because its one huge cable.

They need to build the wooden structures to protect the surrounding buildings and to support the cable as it goes on and off which would cut off access to the whole left hand side of the park for weeks.

Its not a 12 hour job

Doopy Dan
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:01 pm

This sort of job would get completed in stages, they cant just stop halfway through a stage because they would have to un do all the work they have done for that stage. For example, health and saftey, regardless of the park opened or closed would not allow a crane to be sitting there fully upright holding up a cable all night because they were not able to get it onto one of the pylons in time before dark. I cant see them being able to complete a stage from park close untill dusk either, as its quite a slow and complex process belive it or not. This is probably a big factor in their decision.

siralgenon
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:05 pm

I have a few questions because this is still puzzling me:

1- Apart from last year with the Dark Forest construction and the fire's, has the Sky Ride ever been closed all season for the cable to be re-fitted before?

and

2- I don't know who on here works at the resort and who doesn't, but can't someone ask maintinence why the Sky Ride is closed? unless it has already been confirmed that the cable needs re-fitting?

thanks! :D

Dormiens-Dave

Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:21 pm

Sir algenon if a "rumour" makes it on to TT news then its almost certainly true but people wont confirm officially

and its not an issue of not been able to work through the night its that the setup to so the job (as seen on the picture a couple of pages back) would blocky off half of the park

manual_operator
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:30 pm

In all fairness it does make sense that it needs a new cable and whilst I do agree with those who think Merlin could have been pro-active and replaced it close season, it is far more likely that the cable was approaching the end probably at the end of season maintenance but with it obviously being a custom job (I doubt cables are manufactured in set lengths) it may not have been possible to get made for a few months.

As for size of the cable, does anyone know roughly how long it is? Heard someone mention 40mm diameter, which seams closer to Rita's cable with Skyride being a hell of a lot bigger! Probably talking 1 tonne per 100m or so, so it certainly isn't a small job!

WillPS
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:16 am

"damos1" wrote:
It will probably not get done until closed season, Although dark?!? this no longer exists in building terms.

If companies were allowed they could work day in day out now, the powerfullness of artificial lights etc.

But I think many have to down tools due to noise restrictions okay you probably would not here them installing the cable, but the generators you would...

P.s. bring back the road train is what I say! It's still in storage...

No way! I know it was still around in the 90s (it was stored behind the Haunted House) - are you sure it still exists?!

Altonator
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:43 pm

The cable used on Skyride can be seen in the cabinet on the wall at Towers Street Station :) when it's open :) Anyone seen it before?
Think it's still there?
Whatever the weather outside it\'s always tropical at Cariba Creek

siralgenon
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:55 am

"Altonator" wrote:
The cable used on Skyride can be seen in the cabinet on the wall at Towers Street Station :) when it's open :) Anyone seen it before?
Think it's still there?

Yer, i think there's one in the Cloud Cuckoo Land station aswell :D

---- Post Info Added ----

"Altonator" wrote:
Think it's still there?

Yer, i think there's one in the Cloud Cuckoo Land station aswell :D

crofty2009
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:10 pm

i visited the park recently and the usual closed signs have had an extra notice added stating that visitors should check the electronic signs around the park for when the skyride is working.

do they expect whatever the fault is, to be fixed in the middle of a day out in the park? it's either very fishy or it's not the cable and there's something wrong with the motors.

slightly off topic i know
when american adventure shut down their rapids ride it was because the timbers broke on the lift slope, and the replacements could only be obtained from the USA and took 6 months to arrive.

it could be a similar situation with the skyride if the part has to come from Europe and it's not standard or larger than most

just my insight to this long discussion which has not considered many other options that could close the skyride for an extended period.

i do agree though, bring back the road train while the skyride is down, even if the original has left the park they are readily available from manufacturers and second hand across the UK and Europe

.Will

Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:37 am

Parts like this will have to be made they are not the kind of thing that will be readily available so that is something that is going to take a large chunk of time then they have to take it of and replace it with a new section.

It is going to take a long long while.

:)

addy2503
TT Member
TT Member

SkyRide Closure

Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:43 pm

the old gondolas in storage.

Image[/quote]

I saw on of the old gondolas by the duel toilets the other day.
If you you look through the fence near the monorail track you can see it.

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:00 pm

Gondola number 40 you mean :wink:

Don't worry I'm not that sad :P I took a picture of it last time I was there. Would post it but it seems a bit pointless. Always worth keeping an eye on what they put there. You never know what will turn up.

Alex Tyler
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author
Location: Air, Forbidden Valley, Alton Towers, Alton, Staffordshire, ST10 4DB

Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:24 pm

I've been told that it's finally getting fixed so I'm thinking it's not the cable.

Can somebody confirm this?