UK theme parks from another point of view!

Mathmosman
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Towers TV advertising

Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:44 pm

Just read this interesting article. Seems a bit peculiar as they kind of jarr with the current Towers branding, but...

"A trio of CheethamBell JWT commercials are featuring in Alton Towers’ latest television campaign, which hits the screens next week.

CBJWT held the Alton Towers account for 12 years before it moved to TBWALondon and then DLKW Lowe in 2007.  At the time it was thought to be worth £5m.

This latest campaign is a Greatest Hits collection of some of the best adverts over the last few years and will feature the CBJWT-produced promotions for the Nemesis, Oblivion and Air rides."

Rob L
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Towers TV advertising

Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:05 am

Now this is interesting, any chance you could let us know where you found the article? If this does happen then I look forward to seeing how it has been compiled, it could potentially be great!

:)

torps2351
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:19 am

[url=http://www.thedrum.co.uk/news/2011/07/05/23204-cheethambell-work-features-in-alton-towers-greatest-hits-ad/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.thedrum.co.uk/news/2011/07/0 ... t-hits-ad/[/url]

AstroDan

Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:15 am

Losing out on the thrill market then, I am guessing!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

WillPS
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:25 am

This is set to be a proper nostalgia fest, it's already reminded me of the feeling I got seeing the Air advert for the first time!

Magrathea
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:44 am

This is a really interesting idea, as I suggested a couple of weeks ago that the park should try playing on the public's nostalgia in their advertisements. Part of me can't help feeling that this is just going to look like a compendium of dated adverts, but anything which gets Nemesis back on the TV is a good thing :).

siralgenon
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:15 am

So, let me get this right, they are putting the old Nemesis, Air & Oblivion adverts back on TV together next week? :? :)

haydn!
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:58 pm

It's a great move, but would have been so much better a few years ago when they tried the whole "Making Memories" approach to advertising.

djtruefitt

Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:23 pm

This was mentioned the other day on the media topic. I think that it sounds quite good, I wonder how it will all work, will they just play the orignal adverts out or will it be some kind of combination of them all. I cant wait to see them anyway! I would say the Nemesis, Oblivion and Air adverts were some of the best (plus Hex!).

James
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:47 pm

"siralgenon" wrote:
So, let me get this right, they are putting the old Nemesis, Air & Oblivion adverts back on TV together next week? :? :)

Yes. :)

It'll be interesting to see how these are presented. Such as the voice overs may need to be changed since it's now "Alton Towers Resort" and not "Alton Towers". I'm also curious as to whether they will all be shown individually or whether there will be an all-in-one advert with all three shown in one go. I hope they are kept as original as possible though, they were some of the greatest Alton adverts. All we need is the Hex advert now *hint hint*

Stelios7
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:09 pm

This is excellent news for The Park!

Those personally are My 3 Favorite adverts, and Hex of course!

Great to know that all of the :uk: will be wanting to go back because those rides are still there or something!
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.

oldgitBEN

Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:11 pm

from what the article says it will be one advert using all three, i do hope they get a slight bit of modernisation though:

Nemesis is looking a little, well dated, particularly the CGI at :05 when the restraints are pushed down, 0:16 the um, wall, mouth thing.

Oblivion still looks as fresh as a daisy though, Airs looks good too - however dare they re-start the whole "well the tunnel doesnt light up like that" debate tho (or shall we save that for closed season?)

I do hope they keep the ITHOTMK though, as the music in all 3 is wonderful.

I would like to see a whole Thrill advert with the big 3 plus rita and 13, these have adverts too, tho the less said about Ritas awful adverts the best said.

It could be a series of adverts:
Thrill seakers : as above and expected
Families: spinball, rapids, mutiny bay, RMT, duel
Youngsters: the farm, charlie, cloud cuckoo, berry bish bash
Resort: hotels, waterpark, scarefest, xmas, concerts

Johno
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:29 pm

If anything this will be an advert to just remind people that Alton exists with Thrill rides.

WillPS
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:27 pm

My reading of this wasn't that they're going to air the adverts as they were (Milky Way style), but as a sort of 'best of' montage.

Spike
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Curled up in Nemmies claws. Sound asleep and purring like a kitten.

Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:58 am

If there's one thing Alton can do better than any other park I've seen is advertise their coasters well.

Nemesis was brilliant for it's time.
Oblivion was stunning
Rita (Not the one on the mountain, that was awful) was brilliant
Air was well done
Th13teen was well advertised as well

I love this idea of bringing them back, but as Ben said with a few modern tweaks I hope. There's a trend at the moment of bringing back old classics, wether it be games, adverts, films and so on. Works well and serves to remind people of their first times or periods in their lives. Great idea :clap:
MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*

oldgitBEN

Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:49 am

Oh no, both Rita adverts were truly awful.

Im assuming This is the better one? Its not a shade on either the nemesis, air or oblivion adverts. Even the new 13 adverts are of a much higher standard.

crofty2009
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:08 pm

sounds like an interesting idea, i do hope they do it with a little style though, there are too many cheep productions trying to catch the nostalgia vibe.

nice thaught though that this might be the start of a targeted ad series focusing on the key demographics: family, thrill ect...

spinwhizzer
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:55 pm

There is now an box on their homepage saying 'all time greats - which one will take the crown? You decide", looks like there getting back into the old rides/thrills again.

joshc807
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:01 pm

Am I the only one who likes the Rita advert :lol: I love how it talks about all the rides and how serious he is, personally I love it :lol:

crofty2009
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:01 pm

your probably one of the few, perhaps sad but true