UK theme parks from another point of view!

Lord Antaz
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Alton Towers poll and Skyride

Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:48 pm

------------------------

Hello all. I'm new to these forums- but like many of you, have a great passion when physics is used for entertainment. The safety and the danger sensations matching seem to always work at Alton Towers and they have many great rides.
-----------------------
My question: This new 2013 ride. Will it be implemented using this vote system - ( Like if it was Nemesis, it would be a horror coaster, perhaps bigger ) ? Or will it be made entirely by the 'lucky adult' and John himself.
Thank You

Also. The cable replacement will take most of the season,- right?
Last edited by Lord Antaz on Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jonny.F
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Alton Towers 2013 ride-

Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:43 pm

Hi there and welcome to TTF :D

So far we know very little about the coaster and what the result of the voting will be, but there is a discussion about the coaster and the competition here where you can join in and ask questions.

:)

Blaze

Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:14 pm

Just before this gets locked/moved, I'll answer the question.

The poll is unlikely to affect it much, but they may see which ride wins and look at what worked well on it to inspire parts of the new ride.

As for the winner, they won't really have much of a say at all. They'll likely be nothing more than a sounding board for ideas to see what works and what doesn't.

And yes, John is working on this.

Lord Antaz
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:20 pm

Cheers. Just to let you know I've asked John Wardley.

If this in any way needs locking/moving please move it!

oldgitBEN

Re: Alton Towers poll and Skyride

Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:51 am

Just to clarify, John works on an adhock basis for the Merlin group, officially he is retired.

During the construction of 13, he always pointed out it was Candy Holland (his effective succesor within Merlin) doing the majority of the work, he was simply there to push her and the team towards the right direction when needed.
Sadly this didnt work with the marketing team, as was evident with his TTF xmas interview 2010 where he kindly but bluntly refused to comment on the situation. Which is expected considering when Merlin want to use him they pay him alot of money.

With regard to the 2013 ride, im pretty sure its almost (if not already) planned for alton. They dont leave things down to a last moment, they plan years and years in advance - see the 10 year plan topic.
So no, the vote wont count for anything. The vote is simply a marketing device for the park who realised with nothing new for 2011 and the past few years being more 'family based' that they needed to push their biggest rides to get the lacking attendance figures up.
The competition for the voting says one person *could* help influence the next big ride. Ha, they will be pushed towards the plans development and used for marketing.

E-mailing John? from his public address on his website?
Why hasn't every other fanboy done this in the past? Oh wait, no, they have. John is a pleasant man and replied to most, but simply an email saying "omg jon, i iz ur biggest fan innit, whatz tha next coaster 4 alton plz, k, fanks, bbq, gangsta, blood, innit" is probably going to get a generic "thanks for emailing, I cant answer that specific question*" from John.

---- Post Info Added ----

love a good edit

Lord Antaz
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:41 am

I'm not a 'fan boy' you know! I am actually going into the industry in time! John Wardley Is no tool! Don't say anything like that. If you really think I am an informal person who feels inferior to a person like John, you obviously don't understand why I've asked him. I think you need to revise that statement!

"oldgitBEN" wrote:
Just to clarify, John works on an adhock basis for the Merlin group, officially he is retired.

During the construction of 13, he always pointed out it was Candy Holland (his effective succesor within Merlin) doing the majority of the work, he was simply there to push her and the team towards the right direction when needed.
Sadly this didnt work with the marketing team, as was evident with his TTF xmas interview 2010 where he kindly but bluntly refused to comment on the situation. Which is expected considering when Merlin want to use him they pay him alot of money.

With regard to the 2013 ride, im pretty sure its almost (if not already) planned for alton. They dont leave things down to a last moment, they plan years and years in advance - see the 10 year plan topic.
So no, the vote wont count for anything. The vote is simply a marketing device for the park who realised with nothing new for 2011 and the past few years being more 'family based' that they needed to push their biggest rides to get the lacking attendance figures up.
The competition for the voting says one person *could* help influence the next big ride. Ha, they will be pushed towards the plans development and used for marketing.

E-mailing John? from his public address on his website?
Why hasn't every other fanboy done this in the past? Oh wait, no, they have. John is a pleasant man and replied to most, but simply an email saying "omg jon, i iz ur biggest fan innit, whatz tha next coaster 4 alton plz, k, fanks, bbq, gangsta, blood, innit" is probably going to get a generic "thanks for emailing, I cant answer that specific question*" from John.

I can't believe how disgusting a comment can be. This Forum seems to have some very ignorant people so I'm going to leave.

love a good edit

oldgitBEN

Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:04 pm

oh no!

New member who will work in theme parks in time (when hes not 12 anymore) with all his 'contacts' to theme park industry leaders. Quick stop the forums, everyone wait on his response. We will never have this opportunity again. :P

Blaze

Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:26 pm

Hasn't John took that email off yet? I know I'd have been fed up with people asking about everything Alton are doing a long, long time ago.

As Ben said, he is in semi-retirement and helps out with special Merlin projects. He's had inputs with Krake, Thirteen and Raptor in the last few years. He also occasionally works with B&M when they're doing projects with Merlin parks-he had an input on their wingrider, and was heavily involved in the flying coaster many years ago. If Merlin are planning something big, they ask him to help the design team, because he's been there and done it. He got the ball rolling with Thirteen and Candy Holland took it from there.

Asking him about 2013 is a bit pointless, he's hardly going to say anything now, or indeed ever, especially if this has some sort of Thirteen-style thing they need to keep secret at all costs. Hey, they don't call them Secret Weapons for nothing.

RustyRider
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:55 pm

I think that was a bit of a harsh response for someone who has just joined the forum Ben!

Just because he isn't as clued up as you on the industry, it doesnt give you an excuse to jump on his back and assume he's an illiterate chav, to the point where you've made him feel so unwelcome he's leaving the forum!
Not really the welcome he was after...

Downright disrespectful and a little arrogant if you ask me.
Ladies and Gentlemen, our first SuperHero TTFer :D - Magrathea.

Stelios7
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:04 pm

I would think the winner would e involved with the marketing more than the Actual design of the ride itself. I assume John will be involved somehow, though! :D

So it will be kept in the hands of 'God'!
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.

barmy_scotty
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:48 pm

Dont know if any one has noticed at the flume over the first lift hill is some scaffolding going up towards the skyride cables i have got a pic as im queing right now bust dont know how to post them
J01N U5.... Y0U W1LL 5M173.....

Y0U B370NG T0 TH3 5M1L3R

5M1L3!!!

ALWAY5

Blaze

Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:42 pm

We saw it a while ago. It is indeed for access to relay the cable.

:)

RustyRider
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:04 pm

Excellent! Does this mean it's in the process o being repaired before the seasons out? I'm going on the 20th september and I love the skyride, I can't imagine an at trip without it!
Ladies and Gentlemen, our first SuperHero TTFer :D - Magrathea.