UK theme parks from another point of view!

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

AP Discount - Not Happy!

Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:20 pm

Just tried to book a hotel package with 2 rooms and have been told that my annual pass discount only applies to 1 room? Since when? In the past I have booked up to 4 rooms and this discount always applied to the package.

So MORE penny pinching from Merlin... they are sinking to the lowest of lows now.

Cancelled the hotel booking for now until I can figure out a way to get the 2nd room discounted.

Rob L
TT Member
TT Member

Re: AP Discount - Not Happy!

Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:26 pm

To get annual pass discount on both rooms you are required to have a passholder in each of the rooms, I found this out last year when trying to book two rooms and only I had a pass. I don't know how long it has been like this though. I do agree that if it is you the passholder booking the rooms then you should really get the discount; though at the same time I can see it from Towers perspective.

:)

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:30 pm

I dont know at what point they have changed it then, because I've been using my annual pass like this for years and its never been a problem.

I've been so angry at Merlin lately that I wasn't going to renew my AP this year, but then one day I just went "what the hell" and bought it. Wish I hadn't now because there's fewer and fewer perks, it's getting to the stage now where there's little point in having one. The online price is exactly the same as over the phone with 1 room discounted.

kingcriplet
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:33 pm

The AP discount is a joke when booking rooms now. I saved a massive £4 compared with booking the room on line last year :roll:

Can't even get it for NYE any more.

AstroDan

Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:47 pm

It is true that hotel discounts feel worthless now.

I don't bother with new year there anymore as the event remains the same year after year, and you no longer get discount either.

:(

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:57 pm

Well this is interesting.... I've just called them back and spoke to a different advisor. She's told me that 1 annual pass holder is allowed to book a maximum of 4 rooms. So I've now had both my rooms discounted by 20% and paid in full.

Very strange....

AstroDan

Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:57 pm

I wouldn't mention it on here!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

James
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:02 pm

"PeteB" wrote:
Very strange....

Haha, happens all the time, Pete. You speak to one staff member and they say one thing, then you speak to another staff member and they say the complete opposite. Typical Alton Towers staff.

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:07 pm

^^ Agreed!

Might as well delete this topic guys, dont think we wanna draw too much attention to it and things worked out in the end ;)

Spike
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Curled up in Nemmies claws. Sound asleep and purring like a kitten.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:23 pm

In the intrest of being fair on this matter I have to side with Alton, sorry. Say for instance a group of 20 people were going and booking 5 rooms and only one person had an annual pass and they booked everything, Alton would lose out.

That said, the rooms at both hotels are rediculously over-priced for what they are and in order for many people to stay, getting as much discount as possible is vital in some cases. Also if the T&Cs state up to 4 rooms then they haven't a leg to stand on.
MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*

DiogoJ42

Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:30 pm

When ever I've book a room (admitedly I've never booked more than one), I've just said "we've all got passes" on the phone. But I've never been asked to show them when checking in, or offer any proof.

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:31 pm

"Spike" wrote:
In the intrest of being fair on this matter I have to side with Alton, sorry. Say for instance a group of 20 people were going and booking 5 rooms and only one person had an annual pass and they booked everything, Alton would lose out.

That said, the rooms at both hotels are rediculously over-priced for what they are and in order for many people to stay, getting as much discount as possible is vital in some cases. Also if the T&Cs state up to 4 rooms then they haven't a leg to stand on.

Yarp.. I admit going crazy with like 5 or 6 rooms is asking a bit too much, but I dont think its unreasonable to ask for a little discount when you've got

1) an already loyal customer (AP holder) trying to make:
2) a substantial booking i.e. more than the ordinary person

If they aren't gonna do bulk discounts then it's only fair to give AP holders discount on up to 4 rooms. Think thats enough to ask for.

mezza
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:56 am

Yeah, I dunno - allowing you to book extra rooms sounds like a very generous bonus offer to me: I think it's reasonable to expect that only the passholder should benefit from annual pass savings - not people staying in other rooms.

It's great if AT are allowing discounts for other rooms, but I wouldn't demand it or be too upset if they withdrew that benefit. They certainly don't promote it anywhere.
EXIT THROUGH THE SHIPPING CONTAINER

Jammydodger
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:02 am

Its best just to try again. Last time we booked, my friend worked for John Lewis so we were trying to get that discount, but the woman on the phone insisted that they hadn't renewed their reward scheme.

We phoned up again 10 minutes later and the guy booked us in straight away, discount and all.

Its pretty laughable because I can bet there are a lot of people out there who just carry on without the discount because they don't want the hastle, and end up paying more than they have to.

NickT04
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:17 pm

I was going to book in person on my next visit... hoping my discount would provide a large saving. From what I've read though the online price isn't that far off a 20% off price? Would I be wise to take an online quote with me?

Chris W
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:28 pm

From what I've always been told there is a 10% online discount :)

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:52 am

"Chris" wrote:
From what I've always been told there is a 10% online discount :)

Correct! I've been doing my own estimates for a while and the online price is always bang on 10% below the phone price.... and then you can either take an extra 10% off the online one, or call up and take your 20% AP off.

It always works to the penny so it's pretty good that they dont just make stuff up on the spot in that respect.

kingcriplet
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:30 pm

Just rang up to enquire about Spa breaks in December - No AP discount on offer for these either. A bit rubbish really :|

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:43 pm

"kingcriplet" wrote:
Just rang up to enquire about Spa breaks in December - No AP discount on offer for these either. A bit rubbish really :|

There should always be AP discount on any hotel booking, I've had discount for spa breaks so you should be able to get it.

Dean

Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:26 pm

"MAP Website" wrote:
Alton Towers Short Break Offers Terms & Conditions

Hotel

Alton Towers Resort Hotel discount is available on Standard Bed and Breakfast rooms only and is not valid for packages, in event periods or for themed rooms. The discount excludes Christmas and New Year and is against the full rate (not web rate). Discount applies for Annual Pass Holders only and cannot be used to book multiple rooms. This discount cannot be transferred to an existing booking or used in conjunction with any other promotional offer. Subject to availability.

Been on the MAP webite since last December, if I remember correctly...