UK theme parks from another point of view!

JB1985
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Which AT year was the best in your opinion?

Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:31 pm

Hi
Just looking through the archives, and I just wondered, which AT season has the best memories for you? And why?

For me it has to be 1997. I vividly remember a scorching family day out, where for the 1st time my brother and I could go on Nemesis together. It was amazing!! It gave me the coaster bug and founded my love for AT.

I also remember the excitement of having just rode Nemesis going across to what is today X Sector and seeing Oblivion being built....pure amazing.

On a side note, its great to see the excitement factor coming back with Th13teen and N:WLB....something that was sorely missed for most of the naughties.

Don't_Look_Down
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Which AT year was the best in your opinion?

Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:46 pm

Looking at it from a different POV, 1996 was the best season for me. I'll never forget the excitement as I queued for two hours to ride Nemesis. 1996 was also the year that I rode Corky for the first time. Having previously felt intimidated by this yellow Vekoma effort, It was suddenly a very laid back experience after doing Nemmy :P
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!

JB1985
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:00 pm

lol know that feeling.....i really do miss it though, not so much riding it just knowing its not there makes me feel old!

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:05 pm

Ritadz
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:22 pm

2008. I went twice, April and on a Lovely September day, also the visit I first went on Oblivion. It was my 3rd visit, and also the first and so far only visit I've ridden all the main coasters on more than once. I also think it's the first time I went on front row Rita, although that could have been in March 2010.

Mutiny Bay was all spic and span and it was Corkie's last year. Also the year I first went to Thorpe Park. (In August)

hex4ever
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:27 am

It's gotta be these last two seasons, last season because I became an enthusiast, and this season because I finaly had the bottle to ride nemesis and oblivion.

Th13teen wasn't over hyped, just over anticipated

pluk
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:21 am

Obviously nostalgia talking rather than when the actual best offering was it the park, but 1996. The only time Thunderlooper and Nemesis were together. Perfect.
Total Unique Ridecount

joshtbh
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:25 pm

"pluk" wrote:
Obviously nostalgia talking rather than when the actual best offering was it the park, but 1996. The only time Thunderlooper and Nemesis were together. Perfect.

totally agree with that.

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:23 am

I could pick out quite a few special years but for me personally I'd definately have to say......... 2003!

If I remember correctly, I'd just came into adult hood and even past my driving test so I drove for the first time to AT. It was the first time it felt like I was no longer seeing the park through kids eyes, this time as an adult but yet it still felt very magical.

Hadn't rode Air and Hex which were still almost brand new but now the large "newness" crowds had died down. Splash Landings hotel and Cariba Creek had only been open a matter of weeks at the time I visited so it was fantastic to be part of that whole new experience.

The whole place was full of late Tussauds magic, entertainment at the hotels and across the park was fantastic. Then the season ended with an amazing halloween event of which I still think that years Terror of The Towers is unbeaten, and of course the most incredible fireworks show - one of the last before major cutbacks started happening.

The only downer that year was that my beloved Haunted House had been ruined with guns and LED's! Although I admit I was excited to see what this new "refurbished" ride was all about.

.Will

Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:31 am

... 2011.

Fantastic year!

:P

Stelios7
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:50 am

Are we talking about the year in the best time we have had for AT, or what year was the best via additions.
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.

JB1985
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:38 am

can be either really, just the best year in your opinion, whether that be a year you have visited, year for additions, up to you.

Blaze

Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:53 pm

For me, 2010. Rethemed area, two rethemed rides, and one pretty good new one. The atmosphere and general feel Of the place were the best they'd been for a long time. Scarefest was the best Halloween event for a long time. All the 30th anniversary stuff was nice, felt like they made the effort all year round.

Air Guy 138
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:41 pm

This year - 2011. I haven't been an AT enthusiast for long, but this season really has been a good one for both me and the Resort. Others will disagree with me, but, although there has been no new 'major attraction', the Resort has had a great atmosphere when I went (despite breakdowns etc..).
[b]Alton Towers Top 31. Air 2. Oblivion 3. Nemesis

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:56 pm

Air Guy, you can´t be serious.

Stelios7
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:44 pm

My best experience was in 2009, Mutiny Bay was still fresh and new and seemed alive. I clocked up my first 60'000 score on Duel, which I have recently beaten. I rode Blivvy and Air for the first time and rode the Mine Train 5/6 in a row, I can't remember that well. It was a scorching hot day too!
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.

Lord Antaz
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:47 pm

2010 was a magical year where I discovered this magical place.

DLD
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:15 pm

2001, the year i first rode Oblivion, still gets me every time.

themealgang
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:47 pm

It was the year I first went on a coaster with an inversion: that was the Corkscrew. 2005 was a sad time for Alton Towers with the departure of The Black Hole, but from a personal level, 2005 will always remain in my mind as a significant year...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Pennywise
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:53 pm

Moan all the like, but (with the exception of this year) the quality of rides and attractions at the resort have undoubtedly improved with every year. Perhaps the magic was more present in, say, 1998, but would I sacrifice Air, TH13TEEN, Hex etc for the park of that year? No. Though I didn't actually visit during said year (well, I did, but have no recollection of my visit), this alone makes it an inferior year for me.

The lack of new additions and inferior Scarefest this year, however, mean that this year was not an improvement. Better park, better memories.

:)