UK theme parks from another point of view!

Lucieloo
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Memories of getting stuck on a ride at Alton Towers

Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:04 pm

Hi all,
This is not meant to be a subject to cause moans, but I was thinking back to my earliest memories of Alton Towers, and when I was 7 I got stuck on the Corkscrew lift when an oil valve blew. I had to climb down the track with my dad and its a memory that is good becuase from that day on I have felt so safe at AT.!
Just wondered if anyone else had experiences of the same..
First person ever to be proposed to on the Smiler! xxxxxx
And because of that I am now Mrs A....

Don't_Look_Down
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Memories of getting stuck on a ride at Alton Towers

Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:33 pm

I was stuck on Th13teen a few months back. The track changeover (just after the you come of the tunnel) jammed, and we were stuck outside the station for 15 minutes or so.
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!

owenjones92
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:35 pm

Ha...sounds eventfull !

i remember once when we got stuck inside the old haunted house (now duel) on the section where the spinning wheel illusion  is...the worst part about it was the fact the spinning wheel kept spinning too so i therefore felt very sick !

was funny though as my mum was actually sick as we got off !! about 20 minutes later
DONT...LOOK..DOWN

longy0151

Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:14 pm

My friend and I got stuck on the Flume as our bath tub locked into the station turning platform too early and it caused the other boats to be stuck behind it. This then meant our bath tub and the ones behind had to stop to stagger the timing of the boats so they did not crash! :roll:

jackgcse
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:12 pm

I waited 90 minutes to get on air (waited for the front), I finally got on the train and we were put into the 'assume position' then as sometimes does they had a problem and lowered the trains again and tested the seats that the computer did not like/read. After that we assumed the position again, once again it had to come down, this repeated 5 times before finally we moved, about 50cms, just far enough away so the front car was out of the lowering point. This time the ride was actually broken but unfortunately because we were out of the area that lowers the car; this meant the whole car had to be manual brought down, by releasing your foot restraints then the overhead restraints. Now after all this queuing of an hour and a half I did need the toilet however we were stuck in that position for around 45 minutes and I really needed the toilet, worse still my restraint was too tight for the staff to push it inwards then out to release me, so in fact it took me even longer. However it is air and I do expect it to break down fairly frequently!

Lucieloo
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:40 am

Yes, Air is a complicated one. Whatever is controlling it, a computer? it still makes me feel safe though that any problem they will not let the train go. Whenever I have been on it the controller is always calling out what sounds like seat numbers that the computer has flagged to be not quite right..
However having said that if Rita had a problem i'd be straight of it.. scares me big time that ride!!
First person ever to be proposed to on the Smiler! xxxxxx
And because of that I am now Mrs A....

Bote
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:55 pm

Bare in mind that when built Air was the most technologically advanced ride in the world. It's a very complex ride system. The fact it's a prototype doesn't really help either. All this coupled with B&M's strict safety standards means it has to a lot of precautions and measures in place to ensure safety. The safest way to prevent an accident is to not let the ride go if there is any doubt whatsoever :P

I've never been evacuated from a ride at Towers, though have been stuck on Duel for a while on a few occasions (As no doubt many people have :P )

NemmyJunkie
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:44 am

I havent been evacuated on a lift hill or anyting ..But i'v been stuck on Rita - The restraints wouldn't open so was stuck for a bit until a staff member had to manually get everyone out.

dominoes
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:24 pm

I got stuck on Oblivion. It went into the hole and it didn't come out the other side, while a whole load of bubbly fanta was poured over us...  :P

Queenmaya99
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:51 am

lol, late reply.
Anyway,I got stuck on rita, we all got strapped in, and then it was all normal, 3,2,1 go, but it didn't move. Then, 3,2,1, go, again, but it didn't move.
Then, they gave up, and started to get us out, but they couldn't, so we were waiting for like, 45 minutes :L

And also, only for 5 minutes, but we got stuck at the top of the skyride :o
______  ___                     
___   |/  /_____ _____  _______ _
__  /|_/ /_  __ `/_  / / /  __ `/
_  /  / / / /_/ /_  /_/ // /_/ /
/_/  /_/  \__,_/ _\__, / \__,_/ 
                 /____/

La Roq
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:54 am

Yep been stuck on the skyride myself too. Too make matters worse when things like that happen with my girlfriend lets just say she gets a little on the panicked side. Especially when any sort of height is involved.

lozzyhickers
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:32 am

I've been stuck on Skyride (i'm sure everyone has?!), Hex and Air. Air is by far the most painful and awkward ride to get stuck on...we were hanging there for about 20 mins. Ironically we were only about 5m away from reaching the station  :P

Poison Tom 96

Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:41 am

Air has refused to assume the position before and refused to release me

Skyride has stopped above the middle of the Valley and my mum is petrified of heights

Nemesis lift hill has stopped on me before for about 5-10 mins

i have been trapped on Ripsaw

on Oblivion the whole train got emptied in the station due to it playing up, and then we were put on another train

JaykeAT
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:49 am

had to be evacuated of the top of oblivion and the ss lift hill,all in one day!

shadowmaster
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:59 am

i remember summer 2010 my first ride on th13teen, i got stuck for 45-50 minutes on the second lift hill (before the crypt) it eventually moved but not a good first ride
Hello.

ATJoseph
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:03 am

Iv been stuck in the crypt halfway down the freefall drop. they turned the lights on slowy docked us into the floor and pushed us backwards

AWTSW90
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:42 am

Queenmaya99 wrote:
lol, late reply.
Anyway,I got stuck on rita, we all got strapped in, and then it was all normal, 3,2,1 go, but it didn't move. Then, 3,2,1, go, again, but it didn't move.
Then, they gave up, and started to get us out, but they couldn't, so we were waiting for like, 45 minutes :L

TECHNICALLY, and I'm just being pedantic, that's impossible.
RITA needs resetting after a failed launch so it wouldn't count down the second time :P unless of course, technical services had been there in between but that takes them around 20 minutes to reset and the train probably would have been down loaded as techies shouldn't really launch a train with guests on.
During a breakdown, the restraints are opened with a battery pack one car at a time so a failure should be very very unlikely.

Ripsaw Raver
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:53 am

Ok ive been stuck on ripsaw 10 mins-stuck on airs breakrun 15 mins-stuck on 13 breakrun-fatperson problems and ive been stuck on oblivions breakrun in the rain. luckly enough this was not all in the same day
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123

sku11dude123
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:51 pm

I remember once i got stuck on CATCF. I was stuck in the elevator for 5 minutes until it opened.

Then another time i was stuck on thirt33n in the part were you fall down.

Queenmaya99
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:05 pm

AWTSW90 wrote:
Queenmaya99 wrote:
lol, late reply.

TECHNICALLY, and I'm just being pedantic, that's impossible.
RITA needs resetting after a failed launch so it wouldn't count down the second time :P unless of course, technical services had been there in between but that takes them around 20 minutes to reset and the train probably would have been down loaded as techies shouldn't really launch a train with guests on.
During a breakdown, the restraints are opened with a battery pack one car at a time so a failure should be very very unlikely.

Yes,thinking about it, it must of been about 20 minutes, because I remember getting stressed and panicked, and they did put these things in the back of the train, after a while, because we couldn't start.
______  ___                     
___   |/  /_____ _____  _______ _
__  /|_/ /_  __ `/_  / / /  __ `/
_  /  / / / /_/ /_  /_/ // /_/ /
/_/  /_/  \__,_/ _\__, / \__,_/ 
                 /____/