UK theme parks from another point of view!

AstroDan

Re: 2011 / 2012 Closed Season - Resort Updates and Improvements

Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:11 pm

Some shots taken in the vicinity of the open area around Sharkbait Reef:

:)

Blaze

Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:17 pm

Yay for the crabs going and the rays returning! :D

The new Marauders' base looks quite nice.

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:26 am

Magrathea wrote:
So, just back from the epic Beach Party Weekend, and a few observations:

- The new water feature in Splash looks REALLY good; I know some people are going to complain that the umbrellas have been replaced with metal barrel/bath esque things but it looks really good, and it's well lit, and there's a lovely little "Splash" sign towards the bottom of it

- The CAR now has lovely flashy lights, talks via a motion sensor, and has a button you can press to make the engine go and the windscreen wipers move. Absolute magic.

- The staircase in Splash seems to be having a new carpet fitted which looks AWESOME, especially for an area of the hotel used far less than most of the main areas of footfall.

- The new tipping bucket is FAR better than the old one, and best of all, it actually looks like a BUCKET! There have also been all kinds of random repaints and little things around Cariba, and I'm sure the showers are new, or at least improved :).

- Dragon Bar's refurb is excellent and it feels really classy and nice, apart from the name on the sign obviously :P

- The column on the ship looks really fresh and nice :D

There's probably more I've forgotten and hopefully someone better than me will chuck a few photos up in the next few days, but I'm really rather happy with developments :).

Most updates sound amazing, especially the magic added to the car.

What I dont like the sound of is the water feature.  Ok it might look good, but why replace the umbrellas?  Thats how it was supposed to be!  Granted, the whole thing has rarely been seen properly working since the hotel first opened.  Do you know if the waterwheel stuck to the side of the toilet is going round?

Got issues with this carpet malarky as well.  I mean come on, its been fine all these years and the hotel floors are supposed to be like a beach - all stones and sand.  I haven't seen many carpets on beaches!

3 questions:
- Have they ditched the "Water Park" crap yet and gone back to Cariba Creek? I'd like to think the Cariba signs are still up.
- Have those awful christmas lights come down yet or are they still up?
- Where thes pics lol?  :lol:

Oh and one more... Has the Hawaii-Five-0 theme returned to the lifts going up yet?  :lol:
Last edited by PeteB on Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

mezza
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:54 am

Magrathea wrote:
- The staircase in Splash seems to be having a new carpet fitted which looks AWESOME, especially for an area of the hotel used far less than most of the main areas of footfall.

PeteB wrote:
Got issues with this carpet malarky as well.  I mean come on, its been fine all these years and the hotel floors are supposed to be like a beach - all stones and sand.  I haven't seen many carpets on beaches!

I haven't seen many staircases on beaches either?  Maybe they should replace the staircase with a giant sand dune that people can climb up?
EXIT THROUGH THE SHIPPING CONTAINER

TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:12 am

Cariba creek isn't coming back.  Management prefer Alton towers waterpark because it supposedly has a better identity, at least people outside will know where it is.  I prefer Cariba creek personally but management have said they are going to gradually replace all signage with at waterpark signage.

Dormiens-Dave

Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:35 am

In responce to petes concerns i think they replaced the umbarellas because it just looks better. The new feature looks more quirky and interesting with pipes twisted into the word "splash" and all sorts of odd objects being part of it.

The water wheel spins again and has some new decoration on it. And the fairly lights are still up and lift music was working.

Chris W
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:09 pm

There were some photos posted on the TT Facebook at the weekend:

They aren't great quality, but its the best there is at the moment!

Adam
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:14 pm

Hard to really see it from that picture, but it does look like a vast improvement to me.

It was looking very old and tired and was in need of an update. Thumbs up from me!
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."

Chris W
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:18 pm

To me, it really does seem like a vast improvement and fits a bit better with the plumbing theme.

The colour scheme also fits in with the repainted water tower out front and the new tipping bucket.

dsteel should be really happy with all the work he and his team have done, the hotels are looking a lot better than they have done for many years.

siralgenon
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:43 pm

The changes in Splash Landings are looking really good, especially the new additions to the car! And Pete I think it's the carpet on the stairs next to the elevators which has been replaced, not the main stair case next to the water feature?!  :)

I'm really happy to see the TH13TEEN tank has been removed in Sharkbait Reef as well! TH13TEEN themeing should have never been anywhere near Mutiny Bay so hopefully it will be re-themed to pirates as well! However, although the spider crabs have gone (wherever that may be? - I think there was only 3 alive by the end of the season anyway) why take down all of the extra themeing that was put up? Couldn't they have just left that there?

Magrathea
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:06 pm

The stairs that the carpets have been REPLACED on are the ones by the lift...like, not the mainstream stairs :)

Blaze

Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:50 pm

Wow, Splash is looking great. Sweet work yet again.

Voke
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:32 pm

I was having a chat with my friend today, who as mentioned before in other topics works in the Maintenance Department at Alton Towers, and he told me quite a few things that have been going on behind the scenes. So here are the main points he made regarding what's been happening at the Park over the closed season :-

-Roughly 15 cracks/defects have been found in the Nemesis track, therefore these have had to be repaired/cleaned up ready for the main season.

-10 major cracks have been spotted on the track in the underground section of Oblivion. The repairs are taking place now.

- A certain part of Sonic Spinball track has had to be completely replaced due to it being fairly worn. I'm currently unaware of which section this is.

- They aren't planning on replacing Rita AT ALL in the next 5 years. At least.

- The Th13teen and Air Carriages have both been sent off for maintenance and adjustments, due to a few defects.

- He also mentioned that they've made a few errors in the construction of Sub-Terra regarding depth and height. I'm not to sure what he means by this, so if possible, I'll ask for a few more details on this.

I can assure you that there's no reason at all for the source of this information to be lying, and in the past, he's been pretty reliable due to his position at the Towers. I just thought I'd pass on some information which I believe is relevant to this Thread. Some pretty interesting stuff has been happening over the past few months, but apparently, according to him, the state of some of the Coasters have been dreadful. But hopefully, they'll get their act together for the 2012 Season! :)

Magrathea
TT Member
TT Member

2011 / 2012 Closed Season - Resort Updates and Improvements

Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:36 pm

Did he give you permission to release this information publicly? I wouldn't want anyone getting into trouble on account of this...

Stelios7
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:51 pm

siralgenon wrote:
mrbrightside wrote:
Someone said its only half done at the moment? It could be a possibility that they painted the bottom half as a 'test' to see what it looked like? Alternatively this block colour could be just phase one in the re-paint. What's to say they won't go back and do more?

It's hard to judge until I see a comparison but I'd rather see the thing looking bright and new then tired and faded anyway...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's a before and after shot...

Whereas before the column was painted with blue, green and gold scales it now is painted block red with the odd gold star. (It didn't need painting in the first place  :roll:)

The older one looks miles better there.

Voke wrote:
I was having a chat with my friend today, who as mentioned before in other topics works in the Maintenance Department at Alton Towers, and he told me quite a few things that have been going on behind the scenes. So here are the main points he made regarding what's been happening at the Park over the closed season :-

-Roughly 15 cracks/defects have been found in the Nemesis track, therefore these have had to be repaired/cleaned up ready for the main season.

-10 major cracks have been spotted on the track in the underground section of Oblivion. The repairs are taking place now.

- A certain part of Sonic Spinball track has had to be completely replaced due to it being fairly worn. I'm currently unaware of which section this is.

- They aren't planning on replacing Rita AT ALL in the next 5 years. At least.

- The Th13teen and Air Carriages have both been sent off for maintenance and adjustments, due to a few defects.

- He also mentioned that they've made a few errors in the construction of Sub-Terra regarding depth and height. I'm not to sure what he means by this, so if possible, I'll ask for a few more details on this.

I can assure you that there's no reason at all for the source of this information to be lying, and in the past, he's been pretty reliable due to his position at the Towers. I just thought I'd pass on some information which I believe is relevant to this Thread. Some pretty interesting stuff has been happening over the past few months, but apparently, according to him, the state of some of the Coasters have been dreadful. But hopefully, they'll get their act together for the 2012 Season! :)

Wow, very open, per Magrathea. But it sounds a bit worrying about Nemesis' cracks. I'm sure they'd be more next season in places where they aren't, so it would be a constant job.

Not really suprised at Spinball. Blivvy of course would get it with 68mph hurtling onto it all day every day.

Why would they replace Rita? It is still popular, but the only reason could be the space.

Seems pretty reliable and true to me.
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.

Blaze

Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:55 pm

Looking at the pillar image, I actually think it's much improved.

Seems pretty reliable, Nemesis does have a lot of work done every year.

Not sure about N:ST, but it seems on track so it's hardly a big problem if true.

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:27 pm

I like the sound of these new effects on the car, but has this umbrella water feature ben fixed and returned yet?

Last edited by CoasterCrazyChris on Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Poison Tom 96

Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:33 pm

Think about the fact Nemesis trains increase in weight as they hurtle round. no wonder it has cracks

still it shouldn't be an issue

Sazzle

Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:35 pm

The umbrella feature has been replaced with a pipe themed waterfall which is working beautifully :-). Had a good nose at it last weekend, but didn't take any photos - sorry!

Both hotels had noticeable improvements, which was comforting to see.

Magrathea
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:36 pm

CoasterCrazyChris wrote:
I like the sound of these new effects on the car, but has this umbrella water feature ben fixed and returned yet?

As said above, the water feature is back but the umbrellas have been replaced with like...metal tubs, which looks really good and actually works! :)

EDIT: Damnit Saz... :P