UK theme parks from another point of view!

roary01
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Quick Questions 2012

Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:58 pm

ryanlovesaltontowers wrote:
Hi, after visiting the park today, I noticed these:

I cannot think what they are used for, this was was located behind 'The Bookworm'
It appears to be some kind of mast, I was wondering if any of you people knew what it could possibly be used for.
Thanks, Ryan.

To me it just looks like a street light, but it cold also be some cctv...

djtruefitt

Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:10 pm

Dave pointed it out to me yesterday when we were on Squirell Nutty :P Apparently there is one near Duel as well. It looks like some kind of Wi-fi or reciever box, I dont think its CCTV. There was rumours earlier in the year that the park was getting free wi-fi, so this could but that.

BananaRoll
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:56 pm

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I've searched on the Merlin Annual Pass website and can't find an answer... Can you use a Merlin Annual Pass for entry on the gate into Scare Fest? Or do you have to pay an additional fee and book in advance, like at Thorpe?

ryanlovesaltontowers
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:07 pm

djtruefitt wrote:
Dave pointed it out to me yesterday when we were on Squirell Nutty :P Apparently there is one near Duel as well. It looks like some kind of Wi-fi or reciever box, I dont think its CCTV. There was rumours earlier in the year that the park was getting free wi-fi, so this could but that.

thanks for the post, and i also noticed one in the monorail station, on your way into the park, above the car park ticket machines.

cinabar
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:38 pm

DynamiteDaly wrote:
mrbrightside wrote:
DynamiteDaly wrote:
Are there restrictions on the "SUN12"code for hotel discounts? I can't get it towork on the AT website.
The code is only valid for a certain number of rooms per day. If the quota has been reached, then there will be no more rooms available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanx!

I managed to use one of the last days of it for a break in July... Having said that I understand TIMES12 now works.

thefatone
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:43 pm

djtruefitt wrote:

It's in preparation for wifi, as you quite rightly said. Whether it'll be available, and freely, for guests anytime soon we'll only have to wait and find out..

Delta79
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:38 pm

free wifi, thats not like merlin  :D

NatOwls82
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:37 am

Morning all !
Just a quick question about the DVD filming on Air that ive heard about...Does it record individuals on the full ride or is the DVD just made of a series of afew very short video clips like what used to be on the "Your Day" DVD's ?
Thanks in advance!

Oh .. one more question ... how much is the DVD?

Thanks again
Looking forward to another visit on 10th July

BowMan
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:18 pm

It records the train in slow motion in 5 places. The tunnel, the on ride photo section, rising up from the mid-ride tunnel, the turn after the tunnel and the final turn. It costs £10 for the DVD and an on ride photo.  :D
Image Thanks to Lewis97

NatOwls82
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:21 pm

BowMan wrote:
It records the train in slow motion in 5 places. The tunnel, the on ride photo section, rising up from the mid-ride tunnel, the turn after the tunnel and the final turn. It costs £10 for the DVD and an on ride photo.  :D

Thanks BowMan!

Another question (I love this forum) .. How many people can fit it a Congo River Rapids boat?
Looking forward to another visit on 10th July

BowMan
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:30 pm

I think it's eight. (It's a bit of a squeeze though)  :D
Image Thanks to Lewis97

mrbrightside
TT Member
TT Member

Quick Questions 2012

Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:35 pm

Yep, it is eight... Though its a very tight fit! They don't usually cram 8 in every boat though unless it's exceptionally busy.

ImageImage

Keira
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:07 pm

What changes exactly have been made to Sub-Terra since it opened? I'm confused!

Coaster_Dude
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:33 pm

Keira wrote:
What changes exactly have been made to Sub-Terra since it opened? I'm confused!

There have been three significant versions of the ride.

The first version, how the ride opened at the start of the season, had no video before the first lifts, and the main ride sequence was a lot more confusing as to what was actually happening.

Version 2 added the video before the lifts, re-sequenced the main ride so the egg hatched first, then you dropped and the effects fired. They also added in all the lights cutting out in the exit lift so you were in pitch black as the sounds played.

Version 3 added the scare maze at the end, a noisier exit lift with compressed ait blasts as well. It also added smoke and air blasts in the corridoor between the ride chamber and the exit elevators. Speakers behind your head on the ride were also added, as well as air on the back of your neck (although I've never felt this working?).

cinabar
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:26 pm

How long does the Ice Age show last? Trying to plan my trip, can't tell if this is going to be worth it or not? Might be a bit kiddy? But, I might give it a try if it doesn't eat up too much of the day.

mrbrightside
TT Member
TT Member

Quick Questions 2012

Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:30 pm

It lasts around 20 minutes and is well worth doing once if you haven't yet experienced it as its fun, well themed and just generally pretty good.

ImageImage

cinabar
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:42 pm

Okay - 20 mins isn't too bad. I will give it a try then - thank you :-)

djtruefitt

Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:50 pm

BananaRoll wrote:
Sorry if this is a silly question, but I've searched on the Merlin Annual Pass website and can't find an answer... Can you use a Merlin Annual Pass for entry on the gate into Scare Fest? Or do you have to pay an additional fee and book in advance, like at Thorpe?

As far as im aware there are no dates you cant use a Merlin pass at Alton Towers (except for concerts, but there are none happening this year) and unlike Thorpe you dont have to pay extra to use it during halloween.

Stelios7
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:12 pm

I'm sure they do as they were being given out once I think... do they sell TH13TEEN hoodies in Towers Trading?
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.

BowMan
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:17 pm

I think that they sell at least some of them. I'd go to the 13 shop just to be safe.
Image Thanks to Lewis97