UK theme parks from another point of view!

TheDarkStar
TT Member
TT Member

Re: So... about SW8

Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:26 am

:? The flume? Gone?

Alex.D
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:04 am

Yes the flume will have to go soon. 1989 I think it opened.It is getting old. I quite like it still. If they could just replace it with a new version. more exciting layout. But I think alton will get some kind of worlds first rollercoaster as SW's are rollercoasters. I hope some kind of B&M or intamin. But more likely to be B&M as Merlin don't seem to like intamin. :?
THE SWARM, oblivion,air,colossus.all epic.:D
^Made by Lewis97

DrReeve
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SW8 - B&M for the Air car park?

Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:58 am

SuperWill wrote:
DrReeve wrote:
SuperWill wrote:
I can see SW8 being a wing coaster! Maybe a sequel to The Swarm? This would be awesome! And if there was a Swarm sequel at AT then it could team up with Nemesis and cause devastation? And then it would be up to the Phalanx to stop Nemesis and Swarm before it's too late! :D
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. okay this has been before in this topic let me simply just say. It would always be underrated to swarm due to height. Also the ride type is made to make the passengers feel like they are flying which would be compared to air. Plus i dont want to get this topic started again...

I understand that you don't want to see a wing coaster and a Swarm sequel but I do! We all have different opinions but a Swarm sequel for me would be awesome! :D
I understand your opinion and respect that
Image credit to Lewis97

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:06 am

Alex.D wrote:
Yes the flume will have to go soon. 1989 I think it opened.It is getting old. I quite like it still. If they could just replace it with a new version. more exciting layout. But I think alton will get some kind of worlds first rollercoaster as SW's are rollercoasters. I hope some kind of B&M or intamin. But more likely to be B&M as Merlin don't seem to like intamin. :?

I think it was 1981 the year the log flume opened.

I can see a family coaster opening in place of Spinball and I think it will be indoors.

I can't really see corner corner reopening unless they build a big indoor coaster in this area.

It's hard to see where else a new coaster could go without removing one first.

1994 Nemesis built on new land
1998 Oblivion took up the area of the crazy golf and a flat ride
2002 Air was built on the site of the the beast
2004 Spinball was built on the kiddies outdoor play ground
2005 Rita The Ug bugs&Bone shaker was removed to build this
2010 13 Build on the site where the corkscrew was
2013 The Smiler built on the site of the Black Hole

So really looking at the coasters above only Nemesis has been build on land that hadn't been used before.

Danny
Contributor
Contributor

Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:57 am

I think it's pretty obvious we won't be getting another launched as AT like all their big rides to be a different experience. There's also no way alton would get a wing rider, mainly because thorpe and alton having different rides separates them. If they had the same rides people would just go to one and not the other. It's like thorpe getting a family free fall drop coaster, it's never going to happen.

schmatt
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:13 pm

If alton was to get another launched coaster it would have to offer a different experience to Rita. Ways in which they could do this would be have an indoor launched coaster, most probably slower but with inversions (RNRC), a family launch coaster (manta/atlantis adventure) or have a blitz style coaster where the launch is not the main source of kinetic energy (Maverick)

Although my ideal SW would be a highly themed Mack E-motion Coaster on the flume site with indoor and outdoor sections and the addition of a new flume with interaction between the two. Similar to the bobsled and flume at tripsdrill. Yes its not a thrill machine but its two rides the whole family can ride together and would offer a different experience than anything else at the towers.

A
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:22 pm

Themeparksandy1981 wrote:
Alex.D wrote:

I think it was 1981 the year the log flume opened.

I can see a family coaster opening in place of Spinball and I think it will be indoors.

I can't really see corner corner reopening unless they build a big indoor coaster in this area.

It's hard to see where else a new coaster could go without removing one first.

1994 Nemesis built on new land
1998 Oblivion took up the area of the crazy golf and a flat ride
2002 Air was built on the site of the the beast
2004 Spinball was built on the kiddies outdoor play ground
2005 Rita The Ug bugs&Bone shaker was removed to build this
2010 13 Build on the site where the corkscrew was
2013 The Smiler built on the site of the Black Hole

So really looking at the coasters above only Nemesis has been build on land that hadn't been used before.

PART of thirteen was built on the corkscrew site, but the bit in which it is weaving through the forest (most of the ride) was new land
I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example :P

AltonThorpe
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:22 pm

I think something in Gloomy Wood following the "haunted" theme. Gloomy Wood only has one ride and I personally feel it would be a great area to develop. I know that space is an issue as Duel does take up the area behind and there isn't enough space in front, but perhaps somewhere in between Gloomy Wood and Forbidden Valley??
England 38-21 New Zealand - 1st December 2012

Twickenham Stadium

Danny
Contributor
Contributor

Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:41 pm

AltonThorpe wrote:
I think something in Gloomy Wood following the "haunted" theme. Gloomy Wood only has one ride and I personally feel it would be a great area to develop. I know that space is an issue as Duel does take up the area behind and there isn't enough space in front, but perhaps somewhere in between Gloomy Wood and Forbidden Valley??

Taken up by monorail

AltonThorpe
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:40 pm

danny.g97 wrote:
AltonThorpe wrote:

Taken up by monorail

Yeah but couldn't an underpass be put in and then a ride behind the monorail?

Twickenham Stadium

Heisenberg96
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:44 pm

What about building between the lake and FV? So the station would be where that ugly excuse for a building 'The Edge' is now?

deeve
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:40 pm

Could a indoor coaster go in the haunted house. Lets face it the haunted house as duel dosent work for me. Intamin do a family indoor coaster. Or remove the haunted house completley.

Benjsh

Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:50 pm

deeve wrote:
Could a indoor coaster go in the haunted house. Lets face it the haunted house as duel dosent work for me. Intamin do a family indoor coaster. Or remove the haunted house completley.

Leave MY beloved Haunted house alone thankyou very much.

Okay, I much prefered it in it's original state to what we have now..........however to tear it down completely would be a travesty and would make me really sad. It's still a great family ride.

I'd love them to return it to it's fomer glory and make it just a haunted house again and perhaps sharpen up some effects and add new scenes......but I doubt that will happen.

Every TOP theme park has to have a haunted house......it's the law.

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:11 pm

You leave Duel alone or I will get out my blaster!

There is plenty of space around that area, I guess it depends on what they want to build and how much space it requires. If anything Alton Towers have blown us all away by packing in so much ride into such a small space with the Smiler. Come on look at how large the Black Hole was, and you wouldn't believe they would be able to fit such a large coaster into such a small space.

Looking at the fact the Smiler is build in the ground and on top of the toilets, looking at the available space, they could easily get a large 'custom' attraction in its place. If you look at how Dragon's Fury at Chessington weaves around lots of buildings and other rides, it would be very easy for a spinner coaster to go in the, spinning above the toilets, above the monorail, under the monorail etc.

But I would like to see a suspended coaster at Alton, something like the Vampire as I believe they need a nice family coaster to go together with Th13teen.
If you go down to the woods today

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:10 am

I personally doubt Alton will get a launched coaster, but they could get a very good one on the Air Car park, then decide to move Rita to another Merlin park.

Merlin moved the coaster from Legoland Windsor to Florida a few years ago, Storm Surge from Florida to Thorpe.

In the Past rides like Thunder Looper have been moved, The Beast etc.  Blackpool moved Infusion.

It would not be cheap to move a ride like Rita, but if another Merlin park is lacking a good ride and Alton want a good coaster in the air car park (or for a park Merlin are buying) then it could be a good arrangement. There is also the possibility of selling Rita as well.

I think the news will be sad, I can't see Rita going any time soon due to its popularity, unless it become unpopular or too expensive to maintain. Looking at Slammer, Merlin are willing to spend the cash of failing rides.
If you go down to the woods today

AltonThorpe
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:45 am

The problem is, I don't know what to put there...

Twickenham Stadium

DrReeve
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:38 pm

AltonThorpe wrote:

The problem is, I don't know what to put there...
the broomsticks over gloomy wood project i would love to see.
Image credit to Lewis97

deeve
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:10 pm

Can keep the frontage and the entrance Hall with the effects but change the ride through section to a coaster. Could call it 13 and a half.

fishdalf
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:24 am

Please for the love of God give us a world class dark ride in Dark Forrest.
Get Corrected

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:21 pm

fishdalf wrote:
Please for the love of God give us a world class dark ride in Dark Forrest.

WTH three coasters in the DF  :shock:
It would be like x-sector on opening of the smiler everyday!