UK theme parks from another point of view!

peter150496
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SW8

Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:01 pm

I know it is very impractical, and more or less impossible, but I've always wondered how good it would be to have a ride that consisted of the trains of Air, the drop of Oblivion and then the track of Nemesis / The smiler. Just a wild thought. :giggle:
Last edited by peter150496 on Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luviico
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:58 pm

peter150496 wrote:
I know it is very impractical, and more or less impossible, but I've always wondered how good it would be to have a ride that consisted of the trains of Air, the drop of Oblivion and then the track of Nemesis / The smiler. Just a wild thought. :giggle:

Definitely a wild thought  :lol: so in that case you could have the vertical lift followed by the vertical drop HEAD FIRST  :shock:
Credit to lewis97 for my awesome sig

scw55
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:27 pm

As much as I like the aesthetics of Wingriders, I would prefer a woody.

Recent woodies that had been built/being built or rennovated look amazing. The hybrid of metal and wood allows for exciting inversions. They can achieve barrel rolls and inverted-banked turn things. I would love to see what Alton Towers can do with a Woodie. They already have an amazing site as a candidate.

It would be exciting to have a modern wooden coaster built in AT.

I feel like any other coaster type would conflict with existing coasters/wouldn't really fit. I don't know how logistical possible a wingridery type coaster would be. Or if it would even look good.
Last edited by scw55 on Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

a13ex_f
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:53 pm

I think they should create an out and back high speed coaster with lots of airtime. I know it's been drawn in the past through the valley but that would be pretty good, but in reality I can see the next one being a replacement for the log flume. World's first inverting water ride?
Last edited by a13ex_f on Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danny
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:09 pm

I wouldn't of thought planning permission would be given to build a coaster over the valley

kierannewcombe
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:54 pm

I can't see a woodie being built at Alton Towers. They are extremely loud and that is why planning was withdrawn last time. Also, how could they make the ride better than the ones at the pleasure beach without building tall as they Towers are unable to do this?

Credit to Lewis97

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:49 pm

When towers can't build up, they build down. I think it is possible, but they just won't do it
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.

SamTP
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:13 pm

the woodie planned for 2005 had drops of over 200ft, the only problem is planing permission.

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:19 pm

So they got rita instead.

And everyone on this forum loved that! ;)

SamTP
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:21 pm

Ilovecoasters wrote:
So they got rita instead.

And everyone on this forum loved that! ;)
such a shame as would of been one of the best woodies in the world!

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:22 pm

So, what, if SW8 opens 2016, they start getting planning permission etc at the end of this year?

SamTP
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:12 pm

Ilovecoasters wrote:
So, what, if SW8 opens 2016, they start getting planning permission etc at the end of this year?
Or around April next year. Personally, I think sw8 will be pushed back a year as many people still haven't rode the smiler but will still want to!

MinecraftFan96
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:33 pm

I personally cant expect the next secret weapon to be a woodie. All of the SW's have been steel and I personally just think it would be a bit odd. Maybe a one off coaster would be alright but certainly not a SW. ;)
Last edited by MinecraftFan96 on Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Smiler is becoming too powerful! Its replacing your memories with its own! SMILE. ALWAYS.

ADM182
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:12 pm

It will be a steel beast I reckon, part of me thinks it will be a standard coaster format, aka corkscrew replacement, as in sit down job rather than hangey one (technical I know!) with some secret weapon extras thrown in.

Is it just me, or does anyone else miss the traditional coaster style?
Last edited by ADM182 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikecloud1984
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:15 pm

What do you mean by "traditional coaster style"?

Everything advances and changes with the times.

Corkscrew went upside down - this was a new concept and nowadays we look at as being a prerequisite for the norm. Oblivion was the first to go "vertical" now we have Gerst coasters going for 120 degree drops.....

A Woody, in actual fact, would be more "technically groud breaking" in the UK coaster industry because of the lack of the technology in the country. A old world style done in a new age technology.

There is nothing stopping the next SW being a woody - hell, a woody with inversions, if I am correct, would be a Europes first and this is all we would require for it to be considered worth while enough to be an SW - remember Nemesis was only a Europes first, not worlds first!

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:28 pm

It's the SW that get them extra guests thought the gates. I do think guests under 1.2 need another coaster as they've only got The Runaway Mine Train.
If Spinball is moved then they could build a coaster based on Chuggington to make Cbeebies land bigger.
Last edited by Themeparksandy1981 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SamTP
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:55 pm

I remember reading somewhere that John Wardley said a secret weapon doesn't have to be a rollercoaster! It could be a flat ride!
Last edited by SamTP on Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JammyBand
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:27 pm

I'm not sure why, but I think Alton Towers will construct a steel coaster for their next ride in 2016, and the following major ride (2019) will be a wooden coaster. Once again, I'm not sure why but I think this might be how it all works out.

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:30 pm

JammyBand wrote:
I'm not sure why, but I think Alton Towers will construct a steel coaster for their next ride in 2016, and the following major ride (2019) will be a wooden coaster. Once again, I'm not sure why but I think this might be how it all works out.

There's no reason why that couldn't happen I suppose ...

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:59 pm

As other people have said, I would like to see a wood/steel hybrid coaster for sw8. I think the opportunity to have inversions on a wooden roller coaster is a really good choice for Alton and I also think a steel/Hybrid would produce less noise than a standard wooden roller coaster. This will also offer a new experience at Alton towers so will be easier to market :)