UK theme parks from another point of view!

Deejay
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SW8

Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:22 pm

I think that sign is a load of nonsense, also that pic has been online for a few years now.

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:22 am

stealthsmiler wrote:
Ilovecoasters wrote:
stealthsmiler wrote:
I also think they need more rides with height restrictions of 1.3m.

Actually, quite a lot of alton towers rides are at 1.2m or lower and are suitable for the age group you mentioned, for example:
Thirteen
Sonic Spinball
Submission
Enterprise
The Blade
Plus more

Personally, I don't see the point in a thrill ride having a height restriction of 1.3m if it can have a height restriction of lower. Just because a ride has a 1.2m height restriction, that doesn't make it not for thrillseekers

Because 1.2m includes quite young children, therefore AT has to make the ride suitable for young children. Thirteen (apart for the drop) is quite boring and not thrilling. When it gets to the drop a lot of young children dont like it. Parents trust that when their child is tall enough for a ride, its not going to terrify their children (kinda like thriteen does a bit). Having 1.3m means older children (9/10/11) will be able to ride a ride thats more thrilling than those at 1.2m and younger children (6/7/8) wont be able to ride and get terrified of all rides in general. Plus 1.3m is that annoying stage where you are too small for the good rides but too old to find the small rides as good as they were when you were younger. 1.3m gives AT the ability to make a midway point between huge thrills like the smiler and low thrills like 13.

BenBowser wrote:
^ But do they? They run only one arm, on half of its capacity on the most busy of days.

I agree with this as well, Submission is losing its popularity. AT was going to close them for the Smiler. Plus how many children do you see on Submission? not many.The Blade is planned for removal. So there wont be many left. Therefore more is needed, and as 1.3m allows AT to make them more thrilling, they will be more popular.

Sorry for bringing up an old comment ...

I think you misunderstood me. I was thinking that if a ride can be 1.2m or lower (13, Enterprise etc) and is thrilling, then why put it up to 1.3m? I think you thought that I was saying that alton towers should have less thrilling rides, which trust me I wasn't.

Sorry about that just wanted to clear something up
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:08 pm

Ilovecoasters wrote:
stealthsmiler wrote:
Ilovecoasters wrote:
stealthsmiler wrote:
I also think they need more rides with height restrictions of 1.3m.

Actually, quite a lot of alton towers rides are at 1.2m or lower and are suitable for the age group you mentioned, for example:
Thirteen
Sonic Spinball
Submission
Enterprise
The Blade
Plus more

Personally, I don't see the point in a thrill ride having a height restriction of 1.3m if it can have a height restriction of lower. Just because a ride has a 1.2m height restriction, that doesn't make it not for thrillseekers

Because 1.2m includes quite young children, therefore AT has to make the ride suitable for young children. Thirteen (apart for the drop) is quite boring and not thrilling. When it gets to the drop a lot of young children dont like it. Parents trust that when their child is tall enough for a ride, its not going to terrify their children (kinda like thriteen does a bit). Having 1.3m means older children (9/10/11) will be able to ride a ride thats more thrilling than those at 1.2m and younger children (6/7/8) wont be able to ride and get terrified of all rides in general. Plus 1.3m is that annoying stage where you are too small for the good rides but too old to find the small rides as good as they were when you were younger. 1.3m gives AT the ability to make a midway point between huge thrills like the smiler and low thrills like 13.

BenBowser wrote:
^ But do they? They run only one arm, on half of its capacity on the most busy of days.

I agree with this as well, Submission is losing its popularity. AT was going to close them for the Smiler. Plus how many children do you see on Submission? not many.The Blade is planned for removal. So there wont be many left. Therefore more is needed, and as 1.3m allows AT to make them more thrilling, they will be more popular.

Sorry for bringing up an old comment ...

I think you misunderstood me. I was thinking that if a ride can be 1.2m or lower (13, Enterprise etc) and is thrilling, then why put it up to 1.3m? I think you thought that I was saying that alton towers should have less thrilling rides, which trust me I wasn't.

Sorry about that just wanted to clear something up

Ah, I think you misunderstood me a bit as well. I was saying have new rides more thrilling than 13, spinball etc at 1.3m. Not to put previously named rides height restrictions up.

:D :D :D

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:10 pm

Thanks for clearing that up.

I think there aren't many 1.3m coasters out there. It seems to always jump from 1.2 to 1.4 for some reason

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:13 pm

Ilovecoasters wrote:
Thanks for clearing that up.

I think there aren't many 1.3m coasters out there. It seems to always jump from 1.2 to 1.4 for some reason

Yeah thats what I mean, it just jumps and completely misses it out, I remember being 1.3 and I hated it, longing to go on the big rides and bored of the rest.
Last edited by stealthsmiler on Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:47 pm

Do you think they should build the Runaway train bigger and faster they could use the old Duel queue line and build a mine here to travel in. The only thrilling part is the tunnel.

JammyBand
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:24 pm

Themeparksandy1981 wrote:
Do you think they should build the Runaway train bigger and faster they could use the old Duel queue line and build a mine here to travel in. The only thrilling part is the tunnel.
I personally don't think so, just because there is a lot for thrill seekers and not as much for children. If the visitor wanted a more thrilling RMT, they could go to Sonic Spinball. If anything, they should make another children's roller coaster.

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:51 pm

JammyBand wrote:
Themeparksandy1981 wrote:
I personally don't think so, just because there is a lot for thrill seekers and not as much for children. If the visitor wanted a more thrilling RMT, they could go to Sonic Spinball. If anything, they should make another children's roller coaster.

Yeah I have too agree here, although I do think more interactive feature would be good (cheap as realistically it has under 10 years left)

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:11 am

I think an RMT replacement should be SW10

BenBowser
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:02 am

^ I don't think the RMT needs a replacement. ;)

CJH
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:27 am

I would like to see a B&M family coaster. As they have started to build one already.
Chris 21 Manchester

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:28 am

BenBowser wrote:
^ I don't think the RMT needs a replacement. ;)

As in when it needs it (not yet but realistically RMT only has 10 years on the clock max.), for example to go and be replaced by SW10or11 in the 2020s

PhoenixStudios
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:03 pm

There should be some kind of attraction(s) for the age group in-between small kids rides & thrill rides. Yes, there's, TH13TEEN, but there's a jump in age group where you have Cbeebies Land for children, and then realistically only RMT & TH13TEEN (if you could be eventually convinced to go on it), before you're onto the thrills. And even then, 13 is classed as one of their thrill roller coasters.

Air is very tame and fun, but it doesn't look like it to someone who hasn't experienced thrills before. Plus it is also classed as one of their thrill rides.

A ride like 13; maybe not for SW8, but in the future I hope. A ride that a family can enjoy, but still has some punch.
*Credit to Lewis97 for the awesome Signature!

mdcsw9
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:12 pm

B&M 4D coaster in Katanga canyon is what I think, or a hydro coaster if it was to replace The Flume by Intamin.
Last edited by mdcsw9 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ADM182
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:49 am

For SW8 I'd like either:
New flume/water coaster
or
A dark ride in the haunted house/Duel
or
Something epic in the valley (which is v.unlikley) due to planning/height/noise (pick one!)
or
Re-build the beast! Classic!

Katherine
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:20 am

I personally think The Flume is next to go. However with the new ride I think they'll either replace that or they'll go for the Air car park idea, which was the original plan for SW7 (The Smiler).

scruffy_
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:26 pm

when would we find out about any new coaster anyway

Katherine
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:33 pm

scruffy_ wrote:
when would we find out about any new coaster anyway

All depends on when Alton Towers want to release it, because construction would start around September before the opening, and hints such as the posters would be around the park like they did with The Smiler and Thirteen, so it's whenever they want to reveal any information to the public.

Senator
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:05 pm

If Merlin Entertainments are planning on sticking with the 3 year coaster plan (in which we have seen in other parks) I believe we should see the plans for SW8 on the SMC website within the next 12 months :)

Thanks NickiFan

AltonTowersGeek
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:06 am

Hi, i have a really interesting picture from this year. (the picture may hint something towards SW8) And i am not sure what it is, or how to upload it.  :?