UK theme parks from another point of view!

Dannyski
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SW8

Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:39 pm

haydn! wrote:
It wouldn't be the first time Alton Towers have considered this area for a coaster. Around 10 years ago, plans for a launched coaster in Gloomy Wood were allegedly drawn up, can't remember if they were ever confirmed official or fake though…

http://old.towerstimes.co.uk/history/pl ... sticks.htm

That would be great fun

DeanGaryCox
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:46 pm

With Rita around though I doubt we'll see another launch coaster, or with the launch(es) being the main part of the ride. I really wish if that plan was real that it went ahead back then, imagine the possibilities with no Rita, and Ug Land coming to an end!
Last edited by DeanGaryCox on Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image 2014

Luviico
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:13 pm

The broomsticks plan was confirmed as being a joke I think. This is an interesting find though! I've been searching and searching for the photos but I can't find them, whether it was posted as news or part of a construction archive related to thir13teen I don't know but I specifically remember that red markings were found on the floor and on nearby trees in UG land before AT even announced or released plans for a new ride so you never know! I can't picture the area in my mind as I haven't been to the park in a number of years but what sort of scale ride would be deemed acceptable for that area? I know in the long term development plan they mentioned wanting to install a few smaller attractions, maybe a flat could fit in there nicely? The issue of trees aside I certainly think that Gloomy Wood and the surrounding area could do with a fresh lease of life! The 'ghost' like drape on the tree could be a left over from scarefest, anyone remember seeing it? it could link in with duel but to me it looks more like a wraith. Alton have never given us little theming clues before related to the development of a new ride though, which leads me to think that there is a very small chance of it being SW8 related.
Credit to lewis97 for my awesome sig

Dannyski
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:32 pm

Isn't there a derelict building in the gloomy wood area of the park? That's sure to help with planning permission for the station etc

bluearmor64
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:52 pm

What Alton Towers needs now for sw8 is a wing coaster 4 times longer than swarm with 19 inversions to stay ahead of most loops and stuff and it can go all way round its area outskirts a 5 min roller coaster that would be brill.  :)

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:24 pm

^and would have a low throughput and giant queues. :( That's the problem with a 5 minute megacoaster
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.

JaykeAT
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:00 pm

bluearmor64 wrote:
What Alton Towers needs now for sw8 is a wing coaster 4 times longer than swarm with 19 inversions to stay ahead of most loops and stuff and it can go all way round its area outskirts a 5 min roller coaster that would be brill.  :)

As much as I suppose we would all love this to happen,as said above,the throughput would be terrible.I can't see there being many inversions in SW8 after a record breaker.

I do like the idea of a cross valley hyper though,maybe Merlin have finally given in and will give us a woodie

Jack
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:29 pm

bluearmor64 wrote:

just gonna point out that that is very unrealistic, but I suppose a ground-hugging B&M wing rider would be very cool!

AltonTowersGeek
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:29 pm

How about a launched wing rider for Katanga Canyon / Mutiny Bay

- It could Glide through the rock and nooks and crannies of Katanga Canyon

- It could have a Mutiny Bay theme or a Katanga theme (The country) as Katanga in Africa is Known for its mining.

- It could have a part like on the picture below swooping cross the flume area near Mutiny Bay

Last edited by AltonTowersGeek on Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JaykeAT
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:24 pm

I think a wing rider is very unlikely for sw8 tbh,just can't see it happening

lf2001
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:01 pm

I don't think we'll ever see a wing rider if I'm honest. It's not very 'magical', I have no idea where they'll fit it, and they already have Air.

Alex
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:03 pm

There is a reason why there is only one launched wingrider by Intamin, its very rough!!

But a Mack launched coaster sounds like a very attractive prospect although I doubt it will happen as AT already have Rita as a launch coaster and The Smiler as a multi inversion coaster.

TomL
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:21 pm

B&M have said on the past that they do have the technology to produce a launched coaster, they just need someone to buy one if I remember correctly from an IAAPA review the other year. The launched technology they have mixed with another coaster type such as the wing coaster could produce a very smooth and very good coaster!

Alex
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:40 pm

It would also add about 10 million onto the cost, doesnt sound like something Merlin would do!!

Cobby
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:59 pm

JaykeAT wrote:
bluearmor64 wrote:

As much as I suppose we would all love this to happen,as said above,the throughput would be terrible.I can't see there being many inversions in SW8 after a record breaker.

I do like the idea of a cross valley hyper though,maybe Merlin have finally given in and will give us a woodie

Alton Towers submitted plans for a cross-valley wooden coaster but unfortunately it didn't get built. Its on the towers times website here.

http://old.towerstimes.co.uk/history/plans/woodie.htm

Deejay
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:11 pm

If there was a ground hugging B&M winger down the valley I think that would be a world beater! Merlin have one in Gardaland, Thorpe and now Heide Park too, I'm certain we will see one at Alton at some point, Merlin seem to be bulk buying coasters from companies (like Rita/Stealth and Saw/Smiler etc).

Mark.aa
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:27 pm

TomL wrote:
B&M have said on the past that they do have the technology to produce a launched coaster, they just need someone to buy one if I remember correctly from an IAAPA review the other year. The launched technology they have mixed with another coaster type such as the wing coaster could produce a very smooth and very good coaster!

There's a launched wing rider( furios baco at portaventura).

JaykeAT
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:47 pm

Cobby wrote:
JaykeAT wrote:
bluearmor64 wrote:

Alton Towers submitted plans for a cross-valley wooden coaster but unfortunately it didn't get built. Its on the towers times website here.

http://old.towerstimes.co.uk/history/plans/woodie.htm

That's what I was referring to,you never know, they might give in one day!

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:45 pm

I would love a well themed indoor coaster http://m.youtube.com/index?hl=en-GB&gl= ... PMiSHh9eHo Like Alton really need a coaster with a story as part of the ride like how the mummy coaster works at Universal.

I will get shot down for saying this but a good SW family coaster would fit in the Duel building. Get rid of the carts and LEDS and along the route they build a powered coaster with new effects. Duel dare to escape

Georgie
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:16 am

Mark.aa wrote:
TomL wrote:

There's a launched wing rider( furios baco at portaventura).

...which was made by Intamin, not B&M
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan