UK theme parks from another point of view!

 
DeanGaryCox
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 354
Joined: March 2012

Re: SW8

Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:14 pm

Submission's removal clearly wasn't planned considering a reasomable amount of money was spent on it between 2012 and 2013 to get both sides up and running (which was pointless with a ride with minimal queues, although does look good with both), and one side apparently broke again, so i think there was an unexpected problem over this closed season, hence the sudden removal... i doubt they will be in a rush to replace this, although this space may take priority for a new flat ride over other locations.
 
dazza4783
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 399
Joined: October 2012
Location: Here

Re: SW8

Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:16 pm

DeanGaryCox wrote:
Submission's removal clearly wasn't planned considering a reasomable amount of money was spent on it between 2012 and 2013 to get both sides up and running (which was pointless with a ride with minimal queues, although does look good with both), and one side apparently broke again, so i think there was an unexpected problem over this closed season, hence the sudden removal... i doubt they will be in a rush to replace this, although this space may take priority for a new flat ride over other locations.


I think the idea of getting both sides running again was all about getting the throughput up. With The Smiler opening they needed it fully operational as the queues were going to be big due to a major new ride opening in the area.
It was probably coming to the end of it's time there anyway. Wasn't that popular and was unreliable.
 
User avatar
awsomelycoolboy
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 246
Joined: November 2013
Location: South Wales

Re: SW8

Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:28 am

Guys, there is a lovely video on youtube by Theme Park Worldwide and he show the garden of where submission sat, and it's full of updates that have happened in the 2014 season here is just a few I can list
Changes
•Smiler queue line extended
•Submissions removal (obviously.. Duh)
•New buggy park out side Charlie And The Chocolate Factory
•You are now able to go up the towers again ( \:D/ )
•The doors to Hex are being re-painted
•The towers are having yet even more restoration

Here is a list of things that probably could of done with doing it haven't
•More red dye in Nemmy
•The smog for The Smiler

This is a list for the people that have not yet gone this season. If you have gone/have anything to add to either of these lists please post a reply.

ThemeParkWorldwide's video: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YuHc0-ykYPg
 
JammyBand
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 250
Joined: January 2013
Location: Chippenham, Wiltshire

Re: SW8

Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:36 am

I think a launched coaster should still be considered. Everyone says it cant happen because of Rita, but to be honest, we have 5 other coasters that use a lift hill. This ride could be a family launched with just a lapbar which would offer a different experience, or what would be amazing; it could be a lift hill and launched coaster (like Maverick and Cedar Point). That would be awesome. It makes sense for it to be placed on The Flume Site, but for some reason I think it will be in Forbidden Valley.

Also, because Thorpe delayed their next major ride, do you think Alton will do the same? They wouldn't want both parks to open new rides on the same year.
 
User avatar
Owen
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 3016
Joined: March 2012
Location: South East

Re: SW8

Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:15 am

JammyBand wrote:
I think a launched coaster should still be considered. Everyone says it cant happen because of Rita, but to be honest, we have 5 other coasters that use a lift hill. This ride could be a family launched with just a lapbar which would offer a different experience, or what would be amazing; it could be a lift hill and launched coaster (like Maverick and Cedar Point). That would be awesome. It makes sense for it to be placed on The Flume Site, but for some reason I think it will be in Forbidden Valley.

Also, because Thorpe delayed their next major ride, do you think Alton will do the same? They wouldn't want both parks to open new rides on the same year.


Why? They would be making twice as much money from enthusiasts for a start...
Image
 
User avatar
lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP
Posts: 4389
Joined: November 2012
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: SW8

Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:23 am

Merlin would never open a major attraction at Thorpe Park and Alton Towers in the same year, because then they are effectively competing with themselves. A lot of money goes into the marketing campaigns, and if they were to run two campaigns there is a high chance that they would dilute one another and not be as effective as they potentially could be. There are several other reasons, but I'm not going to list them all.
Image
 
stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 944
Joined: January 2014

Re: SW8

Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:22 pm

They would make twice as much from enthusiasts. But it would stop there, and enthusiasts alone aren't enough to boost profits. A lot of the general public only go to theme parks once a year, so by opening a new ride in two parks, you are dividing the public, where as by opening one at AT then next year open one at TP, the public will visit both. And as said before the adverts could dilute the effect. Imagine the Swarm and The Smiler being advertised at the same time, the Smiler would have looks rubbish compared to the swarm as the swarm had a really good advert which looked more exciting than the Smilers
 
User avatar
Georgie
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 233
Joined: May 2013
Location: Sorta near Chessington

Re: SW8

Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:15 pm

I dunno about that. To my friends, The Smiler will forever be known as "the one with the creepy advert" so if it captures thier minds like that, they're doing something right. And while I do agree with the "don't dilute the message" argument, it wouldn't be the first time the two parks opened a major ride in the same year. Does anyone here know how Air V Colossus turned out?
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
 
stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 944
Joined: January 2014

Re: SW8

Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:13 pm

Im not saying The Smiler's advert isn't effective, just IMO The Swarms is more effective. Air V Colossus was before Merlin owned the parks, although the two parks were owned by Tussaud's, but Tussaud's could have had a different attitude towards marketing the parks than Merlin.
 
Benjisstephens
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 19
Joined: April 2014
Location: England, Essex, Wickford
Contact:

Re: SW8

Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:41 pm

At first I thought it would be in Gloomy wood, behind Duel, but now i realize that it could be a water coaster (like Poseidon at Europa park). I'm not saying that's what i want; I'm just saying that i think that it is a possible thing that could happen.
 
User avatar
lf2001
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 356
Joined: September 2013
Location: Sheffield

SW8

Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:44 pm

I'm thinking it'll be around the Gloomy Wood area. There's been a lot of tree clearing and stuff around the area over the closed season. I do hope they add that broomstick launch coaster, it'd be proper good! Or maybe something like Helix and Liseberg.
Last edited by lf2001 on Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
Danny
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 2498
Joined: February 2013
Location: Essex

Re: SW8

Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:56 pm

I think it'll be a new B&M model and stretch from Ten a Flume site all the way back to Gloomy Wood. These are two areas next to each other that's had lots of tree removal. Possibly a B&M launch but nice and spread out.

My prediction :)
 
User avatar
Luviico
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 110
Joined: August 2012
Location: Lincolnshire

Re: SW8

Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:44 pm

It doesn't matter how many times it is mentioned that it was a joke, people still think the broomstick idea could become reality. I'm not sure I am keen on the opening up of Gloomy Wood, I have mentioned many times I think it would ruin the eeriness although it is becoming more probable SW8 could feature here. Why else would they remove select trees and mark them red? The same was seen before the construction of Thir13teen.
 
User avatar
Georgie
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 233
Joined: May 2013
Location: Sorta near Chessington

Re: SW8

Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:54 pm

If they were to create a launched coaster for SW8, my first choice would without a doubt be a MACK mega-launch. We could really do with one in the UK and Alton just feels like the perfect park for it, especially when you think about HELIX's layout and how it hugs the ground so much. And the similarities with Rita wouldn't be too much of a problem when you remember Liseberg's last big coaster before HELIX was Kanonen, an Intamin launch like Rita.
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
 
User avatar
danny_davies
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 21
Joined: May 2013
Location: Preston

Re: SW8

Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:00 pm

Can someone do a map with where the trees are marked red? I haven't been in a while and cannot go in the foreseeable future too :(
 
User avatar
Danny
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 2498
Joined: February 2013
Location: Essex

Re: SW8

Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:24 pm

I posted pictures of removed trees in my topic in the 'My Visit' section of the forum, check there :)
 
User avatar
Benji Stephens
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 7
Joined: April 2014
Location: England, Essex, Wickford
Contact:

Re: SW8

Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:43 pm

Thrillmad wrote:
JammyBand wrote:
I think a launched coaster should still be considered. Everyone says it cant happen because of Rita, but to be honest, we have 5 other coasters that use a lift hill. This ride could be a family launched with just a lapbar which would offer a different experience, or what would be amazing; it could be a lift hill and launched coaster (like Maverick and Cedar Point). That would be awesome. It makes sense for it to be placed on The Flume Site, but for some reason I think it will be in Forbidden Valley.

Also, because Thorpe delayed their next major ride, do you think Alton will do the same? They wouldn't want both parks to open new rides on the same year.


Why? They would be making twice as much money from enthusiasts for a start...


I Think that JammyBand is right! If one ride get better publicized better that the other, it is sure to overshadow the weaker one. We are sure going to try both but what about the average public? They will go to the better ride and it will be like Merlin has put more effort into one park that the other; but we know that that's not true!
 
User avatar
RCandrew
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 429
Joined: May 2013

Re: SW8

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:10 pm

I like B&Ms because of the layout over the land. They're massive and especially like air, can spread over paths and fly above your heads just when you're walking around and nemesis which disappears in and out the valley! I love rollercoasters like that and they fit in much better, rather than having a square plot to fit :)
 
User avatar
Zach
Team TTSP
Team TTSP
Posts: 801
Joined: July 2012

Re: SW8

Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:57 am

RCandrew wrote:
I like B&Ms because of the layout over the land. They're massive and especially like air, can spread over paths and fly above your heads just when you're walking around and nemesis which disappears in and out the valley! I love rollercoasters like that and they fit in much better, rather than having a square plot to fit :)


I'd agree a coaster like the one stated above, to add I think coasters where you cant figure out where the train goes or the layout of the coaster is just by looking at it is great because it adds to the surprise and thrill when you ride it. I love a coaster there is mystery, not where the whole layout is visible from the queue or outside the ride, so building on this I believe for SW8 we need a coaster where it hugs the terrain, leaves mystery and is hard to follow!!! oh and B&M ;)
Image
Image
 
sibic
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 72
Joined: October 2009

Re: SW8

Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:02 pm

Do you think a ride like Wonder Mountain would work as I think its the way rides are going? (Could not be bothered to read last 30 odd pages so sorry if all ready asked/debated) as it would be a good ride for the whole family.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jamess and 208 guests