UK theme parks from another point of view!

NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SW8

Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:55 pm

Thanks! ;)

How likely is a MACK coaster? If they are likely I should do some research on them.

Georgie
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:01 pm

At the moment, as possible as anything else. You can't quite be sure with SWs. If this so-called B&M prototype was pushed back from SW7 then it would be less likely however. Even so, if they place it in thearea they're removing trees from, it could be a perfect fit for the area as it could provide maximum thrills without requiring digging down to gain height, and the opportunities for interacting with the trees is most definately there. The only gripe I see with that is Merlin's obsession with World's Firsts and selling points.
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan

118hazaman
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:13 pm

Where did the suggested "SW7 was a B&M, but was pushed back and now will SW8" thingy originate from anyway? I've heard it be said millions of times...

sw7nutter
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:18 pm

There was an interview, cant remember where, with a manager saying that sw7 had a 99% chance of being B&M. As it wasnt, and the smiler was a very rushed project it is likely that the change was last minute.

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:35 am

I think a B&M would be a good move anyway, even without the interview.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.

Tom
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:20 pm

After riding Helix the other week, if SW8 were to be a Mack Mega Coaster then I would be really excited.

I'm not really sure what to expect from SW8 in terms of family/thrill balance. I would prefer thrill though obviously and there are a few big gaps in the park where something could be slotted in quite nicely.

fillc85
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:28 pm

I'd really like to see something like Goliath being built but don't know what the SW element could be? Unless it was a backward g-roll or something, the world first backwards looping coaster?

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:31 pm

fillc85 wrote:
the world first backwards looping coaster?

You mean the Swarm Brave it Backwards? ;)

fillc85
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:33 pm

no sorry i meant Wooden Coaster looping backwards - I am aware of plenty of coasters that do backwards loops. :) :lol Dunce monent

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:36 pm

If SW8 is a woodie (and I hope it is), then I would much prefer a forwards one.

fillc85
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:46 pm

What about if it had a whole Expedition Everest thing going for it where it started off forward that had the secret element laugh backwards into a g-roll :D

Danny
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:13 pm

I love Expedition Everest but where they have th13teen which has a secret backwards section this is very unlikely.

Love the idea of a backwards zero g though!

NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:21 pm

Yes, that would be cool but unlikely for SW8.

If a new car design/track type has to be created for SW8, when would it go into production? AT love world's first B&M's.

sw7nutter
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:34 am

Alton are pretty stuck. They have to have worlds firsts to draw in guests as they cant have the records people care about like height and speed. So a worlds first is highly likely with an even greater chance of a b&m.
The chances are that b&m are finalising plans and will have some sort of prototype.

Coasterfellow
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:44 pm

sw7nutter wrote:
Alton are pretty stuck.

They are stuck in their ways. They need to realise that they dont need to have a world first or record breaker as a ride, just a good thrilling attraction! They seem to think that the only type of ride that sells is a record breaker or worlds first. If they look at other parks like disney, who dont get worlds firsts but have attractions with immense detail and theme then they will see that they need to move on and realise how narrow minded they are being. Rant over!
^Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the Signature! ;)

NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:39 pm

Coasterfellow, that is quite harsh. Some of their SW's have been amazing, just look at Blivvy and Air!

Every time B&M have done a new car design it has worked well at AT. Perhaps track with cars above and below the track (I know that is a bad example!) or something like that.

Alex
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:48 pm

nemesisrider wrote:
Coasterfellow, that is quite harsh. Some of their SW's have been amazing, just look at Blivvy and Air!

Every time B&M have done a new car design it has worked well at AT. Perhaps track with cars above and below the track (I know that is a bad example!) or something like that.

Well Air hardly worked well initially and that was a new car design.

sw7nutter
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:24 pm

Coasterfellow wrote:
They are stuck in their ways. They need to realise that they dont need to have a world first or record breaker as a ride, just a good thrilling attraction! They seem to think that the only type of ride that sells is a record breaker or worlds first. If they look at other parks like disney, who dont get worlds firsts but have attractions with immense detail and theme then they will see that they need to move on and realise how narrow minded they are being. Rant over!

I agree entirely. Merlin are so hung up on worlds firsts that sometimes it ruins the investment. 13 would be a good example. Yeah its ok but it could have been so much more if they didn't have to develop the worlds smallest freefall drop. Worlds firsts may as well be called ride ruined. There are a few exceptions and my god do i hope SW8 is one of them.

RCandrew
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:07 pm

The smiler wasn't a worlds first really, just better than the rest. If they do that again, it will be great!

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:18 pm

Now John Wardley has retired and not consulting on what attractions should be brought to the park I do think Merlin will go in another direction. John thought up rides too far advanced and hes a very intelligent man. I would rather have quality rides than world first elements but that is me.