UK theme parks from another point of view!

Alex
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SW8

Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:09 am

NemesisRider wrote:
Also, I've heard that The Blade could be removed. And, that Enterprise could be moved.

That suggests X-Sector will be almost empty, just the 2 big coasters will remain.

Your sources for this are?

Well if you had read the LTDP you would know that it is mentioned in there that Ripsaw and The Blade will be removed in the near future, the plan was released in 2012 so its not really new news.

Also on AT FB page they have already said that the Submission site will be redeveloped so the X-Sector should be getting a new flat ride very soon.

Tom
Team Admin
Team Admin

Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:21 am

I suppose it is logical that The Blade, Ripsaw and Enterprise are nearing the end of their lives, they are some of the oldest, if not the oldest, attractions in the park.

However, they do still draw in decent queues and Enterprise has had quite a bit of money spent on it recently, likewise Ripsaw regularly has a good chunk of money spent on it during the closed season. If they were to be replaced, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a straight swap or a very similar ride.

The problem AT have with flat rides is that a lot of the more modern rides are quite big, they take up a lot of space and are generally quite high. Their current one's all have very small footprints so finding something with decent capacity that they can squeeze into these areas will be quite a challenge.

Anyway, we're deviating from the topic of SW8 so should probably move on from the flat ride situation, there are plenty of topics where that would be suited! :)

NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:17 pm

Does anybody know if it is expected to be in KC or just people want it to be in KC?

Alex
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:35 pm

Seeing as no plans have been released yet I don't see how that question can be answered, there is no indication as of yet where the new ride will be going as there are multiple possible areas.

Alton13Nemesis
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:14 pm

Considering SW8 is due to be a thrill ride, I highly doubt it will be in Katanga Canyon, simply due to the theme. I can see Air remaining part of FV, with a new area being built in between Air and the hotels, housing the new roller coaster/dark ride, and a couple of flats. If Alton do not build any flats next year, I would see that as a sign we will get a couple alongside a new area.
As for the ride itself, I can easily see it being a wingrider personally, but with some sort of gimmick. Possibly making it so it goes into a dark space, reverses and completes a backwards mini circuit after the main track? This would certainly make it one heck of an experience, but the cost may be a big limiting factor.

DeanGaryCox
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:25 pm

NemesisRider wrote:
Does anybody know if it is expected to be in KC or just people want it to be in KC?

I think it's just what people want... and i swear i read ages ago in this topic that john wardley had an idea many years ago for a standup coaster around KC, so if what i'm saying is true, then that's where people seem to be getting the idea from... plus personally if there's space i think it's an ideal place for a decent coaster!

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:59 pm

Well Wardley always wanted a Secret Weapon in Katanga Canyon, but nothing's been confirmed.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.

NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:56 pm

In an earlier post I posted a link to an interview with John Wardley. He said a KC stand-up was a shelved project. However, this could mean that it could still be in KC.

DeanGaryCox
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:59 pm

it doesn't mean there will be a standup in KC... but considering it was considered, there's clearly the space for some sort of coaster, and wouldn't rule out seeing a coaster or something there - whether it's an SW or not is another thing!

what's saying they don't build another SW for a considerable period of time... there's plenty of other years of investment to be made in other things alton towers are crying out for, especially flat rides!

RCandrew
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:49 pm

I agree, I think there may be another gap between SW7 and SW8 like the 8 years between SW5 and SW6 but probably not as long, that is proof that it may happen though.
That's why I think there may be more flat ride investments and smaller family roller coasters or a flume replacement.

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:11 am

But in the 8 years they got Rita and Sonic, so it isn't like they didn't have any new coasters, plus during those 8 years, it was a different company who owned the resort. I think the fact that the shelved stand up was in KC shows that AT are considering the area for development, and was even maybe the preferred area over the Smiler, seen as The Smiler was last minute. I really do hope it is in KC as it is the perfect spot for so many reasons. I would love for it to be quite hidden as AT dont really have any hidden big coasters and they are also very intimidating to first time riders who can look at the coaster and be put off.

NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:25 pm

^^^ I do agree, but it could be argued that if the Smiler was not so big, visible and intimating it would not be as effective...

Is KC the only potential place? FV is set to be expanded into the car park (according to rumours/LTDP)...

Alton13Nemesis
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:41 pm

I think i can see a few potential locations, most likely in my opinion the air car park, to see a large roller coaster attraction in 2016/17.
I have heard from a source that SW8 will be located where there is already something built, this rules out a cross valley.

NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:53 pm

I saw a NoLimits of a proposed 2006 cross valley woodie which was rejected on Youtube. Also, the valley has lots of restrictions because of the nature there.

dazza4783
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:44 pm

NemesisRider wrote:
I saw a NoLimits of a proposed 2006 cross valley woodie which was rejected on Youtube. Also, the valley has lots of restrictions because of the nature there.

I think you are right about the restrictions in the valley, although I think those limitations are to do with how many trees they remove to build a ride down there. However, I think a lot of the trees down there are dead or dying and so would need to come out anyway, which could pave the way for a ride to be built down there.

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:45 pm

dazza4783 wrote:
NemesisRider wrote:

I think you are right about the restrictions in the valley, although I think those limitations are to do with how many trees they remove to build a ride down there. However, I think a lot of the trees down there are dead or dying and so would need to come out anyway, which could pave the way for a ride to be built down there.

If trees in the valley die, I'm pretty sure that nature protestors would be on their case if they didn't replace any of them.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.

dazza4783
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:50 pm

Dan.B wrote:
dazza4783 wrote:
NemesisRider wrote:

If trees in the valley die, I'm pretty sure that nature protestors would be on their case if they didn't replace any of them.

They probably would replace them, but there's no reason why they couldn't plant the replacement ones somewhere else.

NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:07 pm

Still, if the coaster is visible above the tree line, it will be ditched by planning permission.

Alex
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:15 pm

NemesisRider wrote:
Still, if the coaster is visible above the tree line, it will be ditched by planning permission.

They wouldn't submit a coaster that goes above the treeline, it would just be throwing money away.

dazza4783
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:20 pm

NemesisRider wrote:

They seemed confident enough to submit the plans the first time, that tells me it was nothing to do with it being above tree height why the were rejected. It could well be the same design they submit again, assuming they still want Gravity Group to make it, although now Rocky Mountain are building rides in Europe (Joint venture with Vekoma) then hopefully we see one of their rides built there instead.