UK theme parks from another point of view!

Paws
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SW8

Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:41 pm

RCDB's information comes from people sending in emails with sources. Its most likely someone who didn't realize they would actually put the joke on the website but i'm surprised it even managed to get put up with no sources at all. I wouldn't take it seriously in any way unless some sort of miracle happens.

You could take it further and say it was Merlin themselves submitting it to cause speculation ;)

TheBeast
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:43 pm

Point taken, Merlin do habe a habit of doing that
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!

sw7nutter
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:00 pm

Isn't the RCDB referring to sw8 and not this kiddie coaster. For sw8 all those figures make sense.

Paws
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:01 pm

No. There would have been plans submitted as far back as 2013 for it to open this year. there would also have been major construction going on and advertisement for a roller coaster of that size and it would have been noticeable on the aerial photos. It is literally physically impossible to hide a roller coaster that big.

If it magically turns out that this is true and its for another year it would have to be a very unused design of roller coaster for it to claim a record length and height. So as I have said before I wouldn't take it seriously for the time being.

sw7nutter
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:21 pm

Yeah I didn't mean it would be ready for this year. Or even next year, but 2017 for sw8 which has the stats stated then the would be plausible.

Paws
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:18 pm

sw7nutter wrote:
2017 for sw8 which has the stats stated then the would be plausible.

If so (which is currently extremely unlikely until there is sources) expect a large cross valley over Katanga Canyon, Gloomy Wood and Forbidden Valley.

TheBeast
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:37 pm

I remember seeing an article that suggested it would be a cross-valley ride from Forbidden Valley and Gloomy Wood...its gonna be difficult to make though, as it risks destroying a lot of the protected wildlife in the grounds. It also removes the idea of a walkway away from the rides where its all picturesque

Savva0122
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:34 am

I think it's going to be a cross valley coaster and will come in 2016.
My glass is - currently - half full!
I do wonder when they'll replace the Flume though.

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:37 am

Savva0122 wrote:

If it was coming in 2016 then plans would already have been submitted. I dare say we may also have seen signs of construction starting.

I'm expecting plans to come out later this year ready for opening in 2017.

Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous

Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:14 pm

Dan.N wrote:
Savva0122 wrote:

If it was coming in 2016 then plans would already have been submitted. I dare say we may also have seen signs of construction starting.

I'm expecting plans to come out later this year ready for opening in 2017.

Just to play Devils advocate, depending on its height, location etc we may not see plans until last minute as not all installations need a planning application. Although a cross valley would definitely be subject to an awful lot of planning restrictions and conditions.

Dan is right though, I think we'll see a planning application submitted at some point this year, and most likely some Trademark registrations mid 2016 which will give us an idea of its name and possibly theme. 2017 fits perfectly with the long term development plan and allows Merlin to maximise attendance at Thorpe next year for its huge development and then Alton Towers the following year. Expect to see them pushing Merlin Annual Pass sales too once SW8 is somewhat announced.

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:19 pm

One of the main reasons for people to renew their passes and for day visitors to return is for the park to have something new, but something everyone is talking about. I remember at school everyone taking about Nemesis. At college everyone was talking about Oblivion. A cross valley woodie would in my opinion be the talking point for a lot of people. For those who have not been on a wooden coaster it will be a new experience. It would have the height and thrill factor which would secure the long term future for the Towers.

TheBeast
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:22 pm

A cross valley woodie would be a nightmare to make, although there was those trees at the back of Oblivion removed- what happened with them?

Ladyofthelake
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:30 pm

A cross valley coaster would technically be possible, although as previously mentioned in this topic would be subject to a huge range of conditions to preserve the environmental diversity of the plants and wildlife in the valley. It would be an extensive project which would require very careful planning.

The tree felling behind Oblivion is part of the ongoing woodland management programme to help keep the trees manageable and prevent the spread of diseases which threaten certain species of tree.

spark
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:26 pm

Perhaps they are considering a cross valley coaster but not of wood!

Paws
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:07 pm

A cross valley is certainly possible. There is just a lot of restrictions regarding height, noise, trees, plants, wildlife and the old grounds (also locals) but with the right layout and design one could come out great.
Looking at the original cross valley plan you can really see how big a cross valley would be. So big you can just tell it would never have happened. But there's always hoping. The drops would have been amazing.

TheBeast
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:20 pm

The amount of wood that they would have to get for that would be ridiculous. What would they do in the Fireworks displays too? It is quite hard to cover a whole rollercoaster- if its CV then it wont also be a woodie

Even making it out of metal that would cost a fortune. Think of the maintenance costs...it would be astronomical

Paws
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:32 pm

TheBeast wrote:
What would they do in the Fireworks displays too? It is quite hard to cover a whole rollercoastel

Wood isn't as sensitive to firework sparks as you might think. Its also a far distance away from them. Alton towers is surrounded by trees anyway and there hasn't been an incident (except the small fire on the towers themselves).

It would have a massive project with a long construction time and disruption to the land which is probably one of the many reason other than noise and height to why it was cancelled before even seeking planning permission. It was mentioned that the plans where going to be changed and updated later on but nothing has ever shown up since.

TheBeast
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:54 pm

Tbh I had presumed it would catch quite lightly, although I guess you probably know better

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:08 pm

I 'wood' have thought it would be sprayed with a fire resistant coating, not that I see a wooden or hybrid roller coaster at Alton Towers before Thorpe Park.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:54 pm

A wooden coaster would be ideal for AT, there is no denying that. But you have to be practical. With all the restrictions placed on AT, it is highly unlikely, but not impossible, that a woodie will appear in park. I personally would love to see a big coaster placed in Katanga Canyon. One that actually blends into the background of KC and not stands out like a sore thumb. Yes, i know RMT is already in KC but it is getting older, (I love RMT and would probably cry if it left soon), and would be an ideal place for a well themed coaster.