UK theme parks from another point of view!

Danny
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SW8

Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:44 pm

I won't quote that post as it'll cause traffic, but about the 'over 100mph' thing.

If you imagine, Stealth gets to 205ft to lose 82ish mph speed, a ride going over 100 mph and not being able to exceed a hill of 100ft would make the ride too intense for humans to ride. Think of the pressure a ride like that would put on the human body, with very little upwards track to lose that speed, it wouldn't pass the drawing boards.
Don't get me wrong a 100+mph launch would be amazing at Alton Towers, but unless they lift the height restriction, it isn't going to happen.

Hope this makes sense :)

Sr88
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:21 pm

Don't forget that Alton Towers has a lot of natural terrain sloping and gradients which they could cleverly utilise to help.

Although I'm not an expert so yeah...

Alex
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:53 am

Also not sure they could fit the described ride into the area where Rita is, plus the wraith bot would just seem like a clone of the 13 bit.

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:07 pm

Well the coaster itself would leave the area, going behind 13 etc. Plus the point was to give the area the same theme and follow on from 13's bit.

Also Formula Rossa goes well over 100mph and only has a height of around 171ft where as Stealth is 205ft.

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:15 pm

as much as people dislike or think it needs replacing, I can't see Rita going anywhere anytime soon unless Merlin want to relocate it to another park. If you look past the lack of theme, Rita is a good fit for the location and is very popular.

RIDECRAZY
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:48 pm

I for one, although not the most exciting coaster, really enjoy Rita and find it quite thrilling! I think that there's nothing wrong with the ride other than it maybe needs a story and more theming/retheme. With some more themeing in the queue line (difficult I know because of the way its set out) and a bit of a story it still has potential?

I'd love to see SW8 somewhere else on park really, FV seems like a good idea to me, or around the area of Haunted Hollow/ Flume with an entrance in Gloomy Wood, I really think Gloomy Wood has more potential and would love another attraction there!

MerlinFan
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:02 pm

I agree - Gloomy Wood has always been an amazing theme in itself but so under utilised! Thought that 13 would have fit in much better there than where it is now but Gloomy Wood too blocked on both sides by the water rides I guess.

TheBeast
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:45 pm

I don't know why everyone hates Rita! I know Stealth is bigger, better and faster but its not a terrible ride either, hence the queues for it (and the throughput, tbh). Although I do think that the area could be plausibly used, Im with RIDECRAZY, I think it would be better suited Forbidden Valley, with the removal of Ripsaw and Blade making it seem like a new sort of Coaster Corner (although not, obviously)
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!

thi3teenloverboy14
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:14 pm

Rita wont be leaving any time soon, if Nemesis can last 21 years so can Rita. It's one of the best rides at the park with most people heading there first and it also getting 40-70 min queues it would be stupid for it to leave.
I do like the idea of having a ride with actors if thi3teen was to have an update they could do this. Make people wait by the baggage area then get leaded up by an actor up the stairs. The electric coil goes of meaning that a wraith is near and you must escape.He tell you to board the train.You go through the outdoor section and you get to the indoor drop another actor this time the 13 girl she tells you that you have been leaded into a trap and your going to get turned into a wraith. You drop and then another actor is seen shouting that your about to turn into a wraith the actor you met at the start sneaks in behind him and punches him making him fall. he then tells you to get out this is when you leave backwards. As you come out the same actor tells you that you survived and that he must go he then leaves you to get out. So the actor has time to get out the lights at the bottom of the drop go out so he can leave get to position and meet the guests. This is was i thought would be good as a re-theme or update. If they could not do a SW8 this could be it. Probably wont happen but it's good to say what you would like to happen!

TheBeast
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:19 pm

thi3teenloverboy14 wrote:
I do like the idea of having a ride with actors if thi3teen was to have an update they could do this. Make people wait by the baggage area then get leaded up by an actor up the stairs. The electric coil goes of meaning that a wraith is near and you must escape.He tell you to board the train.You go through the outdoor section and you get to the indoor drop another actor this time the 13 girl she tells you that you have been leaded into a trap and your going to get turned into a wraith. You drop and then another actor is seen shouting that your about to turn into a wraith the actor you met at the start sneaks in behind him and punches him making him fall. he then tells you to get out this is when you leave backwards. As you come out the same actor tells you that you survived and that he must go he then leaves you to get out. So the actor has time to get out the lights at the bottom of the drop go out so he can leave get to position and meet the guests. This is was i thought would be good as a re-theme or update. If they could not do a SW8 this could be it. Probably wont happen but it's good to say what you would like to happen!

With the best will in the world mate I think that's a bit ambitious...Its hard to combine actors with rides unless its an actual walkthrough or it is designed to be like that. For example you could get lvie actors in something like Duel (If I recall correctly they did this on Halloween) but not a rollercoaster

itsdavid
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:19 pm

Alton are starting to get alot more limited for space, However i dont see anything being removed coaster wise, Im not sure if the park own the land i have highlighted but i have got a few spaces that the park could expand into.Image
I think with the paramount park they need a new area, As the paramount park is aimed at family's i can see it having some sort of record and opening the same year as the new paramount park. I think it will have some basic family rides with amazing theming. I think they should go for a bit more of a teenage target market that kids still watch, I think the simpsons would do the job. I think this would be best in area 3 behind oblivion, using the submission area as a entrance and having the main entrance in cloud coo coo land. Then repaint up sonic and move that in the area, along with a disco-coaster (doughnut disc yellow track with a homer in the back) I also think the park lacks a 4D cinema, Ice age has good effects but id expect a funfair to have better (bench seats with fans under them and foam machines) So a 4D cinema building all themed as different simpsons buildings. I also think alton need a new thrilling flat ride, and the area should be thrills and family, so id say a s&s swing type or intamin/fabbri/huss/KMG gyro swing would fit well (could have many themes) And some fun family rides like a outdoor waltzer/twister and a dodgems (In follow with thorpe park) and a vekoma family suspended coaster like what fun spot now have. I think the area will also have a zamperla air race 8:4 model with simpson theme, a skate boarding theme would be cool! I think alton will go with 1 main manufacturer for the area use alot of zamperla kids/family rides in the area so they can market it as a family area but have the big rides in still to get teenager market groups in. I think the park would continue to do excellent and make paramount have some good competition, however merlin needs to take a huge step with theming because past paramount parks (Kings dominion) Have volcano the blast coaster with good effects and a huge volcano. Kings island had the crypt and the theme on that was beyond disney and univercal. So i think they will add a dark ride in dark forest probably make a path down after 13's entrance.

I know Alton will have something up there sleeve and will have a amazing next few years and stay the best UK Theme park, So im not worried, But i dont see a 4D B&M, it wouldn't fit the park at all, If they go to B&M it will be a wing coaster and will probably just be a good ride like the swarm. However i dont think they will get a wing coaster because there next ride needs to be a massive gimmick to cram newspapers and radios to stop the paramount park getting 100% publicity and attention.
Last edited by lewis97 on Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed Image

spark
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:50 pm

David

The 3 areas you have highlighted will very likely not become areas that are developed unless something indoor is build as area 1 and 3 are too close to Alton village. A valley coaster is unlikely but would be something that would be a massive hit for Towers, as for them getting planning it wouldn't be easy

TheBeast
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:03 pm

With the best will in the world, you have stated what you would like, not what you think will happen tbh

Adz
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:53 pm

I'd watch this space...

Alton Towers are not ready to go cross valley just yet (but they will) however this site is identified in the resorts LTDP as the next major development area.

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:05 pm

My only concern is where are the cars going to park as on the grass is not an option

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:17 pm

They could replace the grass car parks with concrete one's. If they do use the car parks for a new area. I can see a exit gate been added in this area.

Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous

Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:48 pm

bensaund wrote:
My only concern is where are the cars going to park as on the grass is not an option

You'd be surprised how unnecessary this car park actually is. With the exception of manic days, it just seems to be used as comfort parking rather than an actual overflow. As long as Towers make sure attendants utilise each space by directing flow in the main car park, then I'm sure they will be okay.

Worst case, they can just use the grass fields :lol

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:08 pm

With more attractions brings more people and most days when I go this car park is in used even on off peak days. However if Towers want to charge £6 to park on the grass then they can think again and that will be a major factor for not going. Towers has always had massive car parks better than other parks, but they keep building on them!

Anyway this will be years away as Merlin have a habit of putting big projects behind. If we look at this rolling large investment/medium/small we are due a major ride next year, I doubt we will get one TBH.

Ladyofthelake
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:23 pm

I'd tend to be a bit more optimistic. Personally I think the car parks would still cope without this space - any planning app for a major new addition usually has to submit a report on how the resort will cope with additional traffic a new attraction would generate so it may well be the case that extra tarmac parking areas may be created to off set spaces lost to the potential development.

The resort doesn't always follow the large/medium/small investment cycle. Although not all the recent additions appealing to thrill seekers, there has been significant investment over the past few years - The Smiler, a whole new area with CBeebies Land, which although some attractions are admittedly re-themes wouldn't have been cheap, and essentially we are getting three new additions this year with new accommodation, High Ropes, and Octonauts.

The three years between new additions is the exception rather than the norm - it is only the gap between Th13teen in 2010 and The Smiler in 2013 that has been 3 years in terms of SW additions, the gap between Air and Rita being the only other 3 year gap. Nemesis ('94) to Oblivion ('98) was 4 years, Oblivion to Air ('02) was 4 years, Air to Rita ('05), and Rita to Th13teen ('10) was 5 years. Obviously in between these there were a number of other investments and additions - I'm just using coasters as an example.

I'd love to see Towers surprise us with a large addition next year as much as any enthusiast, however, I'd much rather be patient and wait for the next big coaster/thrill ride project to be planned fully and properly to ensure we get a worthy addition to the line up - after all, if it does end up being located in the area Adz has indicated it's got alot to contend with!

Georgie
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:25 pm

Let's not forget that the recent powerpoint that Merlin released showing that Thorpe's dark ride is essentially taking up the large-scale investment year that was expected to be taken up by SW8, making anything earlier than 2017 unlikely.
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan