UK theme parks from another point of view!

Danny
Contributor
Contributor

Re: SW8

Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:00 pm

Jammydodger wrote:
Both The Smiler and WC16 needed quite a lot of dismantling and groundwork done compared to The Swarm so I think that's probably why they were submitted much earlier than usual.

The Swarm needed its own island built, I think that probably required the most groundwork ;)

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:07 pm

The difference is that Thorpe Park create their islands mainly by using recyclable waste products from the Chertsy area - so these islands are already in the process of being made constantly. This helps with waste in the Chertsy area so doesn't need to be submitted early as the island is already there.

In terms of when the planning application goes in - it normally will depend on the scale of the project and how early they have to start the work on the desired structure. The Smiler was down to the pit having to be built and WC16 is due to just how huge the building is!

TH14TEEN
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:17 pm

I cannot see a reason why it would be pushed back, even with the Smiler.

Master_feedback
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:36 pm

TH14TEEN wrote:

Well apart from the fact its not in the capx budget and the small matter of 50mil plus hole in profits, and the related bad PR from smiler, and not forgetting their is a hight probability that merlin will be in court in 2017 for the smiler crash .... no reason at all to push it back

JaykeAT
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:22 pm

Master_feedback wrote:
TH14TEEN wrote:

Well apart from the fact its not in the capx budget and the small matter of 50mil plus hole in profits, and the related bad PR from smiler, and not forgetting their is a hight probability that merlin will be in court in 2017 for the smiler crash .... no reason at all to push it back

Completely agree. It's important to look at this from a business point of view, not a fans point of view. I'd say the park need to make sure that guest numbers will rise next year before making a large investment again.

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:59 pm

You have to remember that roller coasters take a very long time to craft - so Merlin have likely already paid for the attraction! ;)

JaykeAT
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:46 pm

Not necessarily. A lot of people suggest that The Smiler was not the original idea for SW7, hence the theaming items, such as The Marmaliser, planning permission being submitted after ride plans. If this is to be believed it would suggest that it's possible to change plans at the last minute.

Alex
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:13 pm

There is a bit of a difference in changing theming to changing a coaster. If it's already been paid for it won't be changing!

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:13 am

I believe RMC are fully booked for 2017, so if it is them, and Alton have booked them in pretty sure after the effort of trying to make a coaster there they wouldn't cancel, only reason I see this being cancelled is if it was RMC and afterwards they approached with that new track concept for somewhere else on park, so they delayed this. I still feel like it will go ahead in 2017, a coaster at Alton, in that area could take a bit longer than average to plan due to restrictions I'd think. Timeline would be something like 2017 opening construction through all of 2016 and early 2017 which means plans would probably go in between now and January/February, 2015 would be trying to get the best possible design to be given permission (probably the start of the year as well considering that Environmental impact assessment went in, and planning would have taken place in between September 2014 and around now, with a company being approached before or in that time, probably earlier this year I'd think. I wouldn't be surprised if they got to work on this not much time after the smiler opened. This is just an estimate/speculation of what I think it would take for a coaster of this description in that area, of anything is a long way off let me know, I'm pretty sure unless it has been completely cancelled it would go ahead, as Whatever company is going to make SW8 would have a spare booking which by now could be quite hard to replace for 2017. One of the main reasons attendance is down is because they haven't added anything for thrill seekers for two seasons as the smiler was expected to bring people in over that time but for obvious reasons it's only been open for around one full season and 3/4 over 3 years. They can't wait for attendance to magically go up before they open a coaster, the reason it isn't going up is because it's needed for them, the sooner the better.

If SW8 is delayed, 2020s major investment will probably be delayed as well, which could be a problem with a single ride in 2021 competing against what could be this country's potentially best theme park, and I think they'd want that to take the limelight for the year it opens, which is why I think major investment is happening over the next 5
Years I reckon we'll see 2016- Thorpe
2017 Alton, but a large refurbishment and a new medium ride at chessington 2018 small for Alton and chessington medium for Thorpe and 2019 coaster for Thorpe 2020 new flagship at chessington and dark at Alton.

If SW8 doesn't go ahead 2017 it could cause problems with all parks potentially

JaykeAT
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:37 pm

Alex wrote:
There is a bit of a difference in changing theming to changing a coaster. If it's already been paid for it won't be changing!

Sorry, my post was a bit ambiguous there. I meant the fact theaming planning went in after ride planning could suggest the entire idea of The Smiler was a last minute thing and that SW7 was meant to be something completely different. If this is the case it would imply that concepts behind rides can now be changed very late in the day.

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:26 pm

Surely if that were the case the ride plans would be put in after?
Not to mention the fact that the plans as a whole were submitted at the approximate time the resort normally submit plans for new developments (TH13TEEN and such)...
I'm quite lost in what you are trying to say :-s

JaykeAT
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:55 pm

Owen wrote:
Surely if that were the case the ride plans would be put in after?
Not to mention the fact that the plans as a whole were submitted at the approximate time the resort normally submit plans for new developments (TH13TEEN and such)...
I'm quite lost in what you are trying to say :-s

Pretty much I'm trying to say I doubt SW8 was payed for when The Smiler incident happened and I doubt Merlin would want to pay for a ride when profits were down. Even if it had been bought, Surely they could just delay its construction for a year if they wanted too?

Alex
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:21 am

Why would they want to delay construction for a year if they'd already paid for it? They'll want to see a return on investment as soon as possible.

NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:46 am

JaykeAT wrote:
Pretty much I'm trying to say I doubt SW8 was payed for when The Smiler incident happened and I doubt Merlin would want to pay for a ride when profits were down. Even if it had been bought, Surely they could just delay its construction for a year if they wanted too?

What about SeaWorld and Mako? Profits for SeaWorld were down but they still added Mako.

TH14TEEN
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:49 am

Well RMC I heard do have confirmed European clients.

TH14TEEN
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:51 am

SW8 has no pushback as yet I hear from various sources within and external to the park. It will be 2017.

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:59 pm

If profits are down, you'd add a new ride to bring people back,look at SeaWorld with their Blackfish problems, people boycotting them, they add a new ride to bring people back.

TH14TEEN
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:28 pm

If anything, a roller coaster in 2017 is even more feasible now the smiler incident has taken place.

Master_feedback
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:39 pm

No company would ever pay for something they don't know they can use thats just crazy talk . No planning has been approved yet, unless I've missed somthing

forget anything else no planing you can't build a thing

And while I understand that blades removel is now a few mounths behind and that's not the end of the world as far as timing it dose point to at least a small pause in the time scale at the very least

SPAD
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:37 pm

Master_feedback wrote:
TH14TEEN wrote:

if Merlin can prove the staff involved were correctly trained, then it will be the individuals prosecuted, not the corperation!!