UK theme parks from another point of view!

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SW8

Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:29 am

Depends how special and confident Alton Towers are in their own future development. What little info we have of the investment at Blackpool its described as "one of the most exciting rides in the world" its quite large and is taking roughly 18 months to build.

Given the year Alton Towers have had, the seasons to follow will be quieter and they need something new to bring guests back. The longer they leave it imo the worse it becomes.

But like I said if they feel their plans are superior and will pull in crowds more so than Blackpool then go for it, but if they don't feel it'll top Blackpool's investment then I'd say they would postpone till 2018. It's going to take years to bring trust back to Alton Towers regardless, the only ones that'll suffer are the enthusiasts in having to wait another year.

I'd personally take a couple of flats in 2017 with a coaster in 2018. Alton Towers for the mature audience is becoming a little lop-sided.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc

allijukes19
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:28 pm

To be honest I am starting to agree with above ^^^ I'd say that its probably better to wait till 2018 for a new coaster and add a couple of flat rides in 2017, from a business point of view, the media and the GP this is the best solution! And I think id rather wait another year and get a couple of flats! :)

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:53 pm

But Merlin don't buy flats unless there drop tower rides. They promised to replace Submission straight away.

scruffy_
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:00 am

Well according to the development plan supposed to be a major attraction in 2016 and 2019, the 2016 obviously isn't happening, but i think with the removal of ripsaw, we are going to see something happening there soon!

Master_feedback
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:29 pm

I think you will find that merlin will consider the Air tinker a big new ride that seams to be the way they have been maketing it

ry1996
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:33 pm

^That's just marketing though, they won't consider it any of the large investments

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:58 pm

I was just reading the Towersstreet forum :nervious: and one of their team (similar to the blue people on TTSP) mentioned confirmed capital ride investments for 2017 and 2018. Can anyone here shed any further light (or dark) on that?
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:03 pm

I read that, and that member is usually reliable, most the stuff hes posted came to fruition. Wonder whether it means two large rides (Dark/water ride?) and a coaster. I imagine it could be possible for a flat ride year with a few flats.

NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:06 pm

If there are major investments in 2017 and 2018 then the 2017 one won't need planning permission or much planning permission. Something I'd love to see but I doubt would happen is a MACK water coaster as a Flume replacement in 2017, and the SW8 woodie in 2018.

scruffy_
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:56 am

2018 coaster, 2017 flat ride?

NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:46 pm

Let's remember a water ride is much more marketable than flat rides. If Merlin were given the choice between the two, a water ride is much more marketable and appealing to the GP.

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:08 pm

NemesisRider wrote:
Let's remember a water ride is much more marketable than flat rides. If Merlin were given the choice between the two, a water ride is much more marketable and appealing to the GP.

Taken from your previous post about the Mack water coaster while it would be nice to have a thrilling water ride I disagree that they are more marketable or appealing. I personally don't understand the fascination with water rides, as if the weather in this country isn't bad enough people willingly want to get soaked.. makes no sense to me :)

There is far more technological & variation of flat rides out there so while this has nothing to do with SW8 I do hope for a few flat rides before a potential water coaster which I also feel will makes its way in place of The Flume.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc

NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:40 pm

Andy Mc wrote:
Taken from your previous post about the Mack water coaster while it would be nice to have a thrilling water ride I disagree that they are more marketable or appealing. I personally don't understand the fascination with water rides, as if the weather in this country isn't bad enough people willingly want to get soaked...

Certain MACK water coasters apparently have a function that allows the splash onto riders to be smaller on cold days on larger on warm days. I believe that Atlantica Supersplash and Journey to Altantis both feature this, but I could be wrong. If this is true they could make it more rideable as you don't get wet on cold days :)

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:49 pm

NemesisRider wrote:
Andy Mc wrote:
Taken from your previous post about the Mack water coaster while it would be nice to have a thrilling water ride I disagree that they are more marketable or appealing. I personally don't understand the fascination with water rides, as if the weather in this country isn't bad enough people willingly want to get soaked...

Certain MACK water coasters apparently have a function that allows the splash onto riders to be smaller on cold days on larger on warm days. I believe that Atlantica Supersplash and Journey to Altantis both feature this, but I could be wrong. If this is true they could make it more rideable as you don't get wet on cold days :)

I know that Journey to Atlantis at SeaWorld San Diego is able to do that.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:58 pm

Andy Mc wrote:
Taken from your previous post about the Mack water coaster while it would be nice to have a thrilling water ride I disagree that they are more marketable or appealing. I personally don't understand the fascination with water rides, as if the weather in this country isn't bad enough people willingly want to get soaked.. makes no sense to me :)

Water rides are awesome and AT really do need a technological water ride. I think a water coaster would be the perfect replacement for The Flume. It would keep enthusiasts happy with the coaster side and families happy with the water side as they are popular with families. So :joy: for water rides

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:41 pm

Feel free to tell me if I'm going insane, but Merlin put a picture of people riding a wooden rollercoaster as the very last image of their presentation on the future of the company on Thursday. A hint? Maybe, but maybe I'm overthinking things again......

The Nemesis Fox
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:22 pm

If they did make a new water ride they could call it the crusade and make it pirate themed.
Nemesis Alpha: Your worst nightmare; Hold on tight - Time to see fight or flight...
B&M Wing Coaster...

Tom170499
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:21 am

Just seen this on AT Facebook. Very interesting :D

Alex
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:11 am

NemesisRider wrote:
If there are major investments in 2017 and 2018 then the 2017 one won't need planning permission or much planning permission. Something I'd love to see but I doubt would happen is a MACK water coaster as a Flume replacement in 2017, and the SW8 woodie in 2018.

I doubt there would be two consecutive years of high investment. Realistically I can't see merlin building a woodie until they restore the publics faith in AT.

Tom170499
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:14 am

Alex wrote:
NemesisRider wrote:

I doubt there would be two consecutive years of high investment. Realistically I can't see merlin building a woodie until they restore the publics faith in AT.

Which would suggest to me that there's been another Oblivion/Air scenario and the plans have been swapped meaning SW8 is most likely gonna be on the Flume site for next year if they are wanting to get started with construction by the end of the 2016 season. Exciting times lie ahead :)