UK theme parks from another point of view!

nemyjoe
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SW8

Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:42 pm

well i was on the verge of giving up on AT for a while due to the number of rides being shut. i was EXTREMELY mad at the fact that they removed the flume (i know it was going to happen sooner of later) but with the free tickets in the sun again and the announcement of SW8 i have once become as mad on AT as i have ever been. :lol

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:59 pm

just 2 flats to replace as well, let's not forget the lack of flats!

Adam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:00 pm

Anyone notice a lack of 'world's first' on the sign?

:lol

Krazycoaster
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:10 pm

Cannot wait to see what Alton have up their sleeves.
Personally I would love to see an Aqua Trax; with an initial dark ride section and then the site area provides some excellent opportunities for sweeping drops across the landscape.
Time will tell...

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:37 pm

Guessing 2017 opening. I'm sure on Twitter the social team said dismantling of The Flume would take place this season. Would be an awful long time preparing a site for a 2018 opening and if we go back to the Linkedin profile it does say an attraction is to come in 2017.

Personally asking for a Wooden coaster in this area.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc

Justin
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:39 pm

I'd like to see something similar to Lightening Rod at Dollywood. If they combined this with the lake then it would look immense!

I'm not sure how they would be able to theme this though?!?

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:19 pm

I so hope and prey it isn't another coaster as I think the park got to many compared to other rides.
I think it could be a IP based ride and the way Merlin have Marketed Thorpe Park new dark ride I hope Alton Towers can go 1 step better.
Now I know Merlin our working with a company called Triotech http://www.trio-tech.com and they opening a new ride in Legoland Florida maybe they could be opening a pirate themed version at Alton Towers.

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:39 pm

I'm suprised the posters say the extra bit about "Groundbreaking new ride" the smilers site only said SW7 until around October, I think thirteens did as well (obviously saying SW6 though) I can't wait for this! Could it be a compact wooden coaster, possibly using switch tracks? Whatever it is I'm hyped!

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:07 pm

I imagine this means that the Mexican Cantina will be demolished given that its behind the fence. I see this being a family ride as it is in Mutiny Bay, or at least I hope it is. I want to see a good family coaster. There needs to be somethig for children thats more thrilling than RMT but doesnt have a drop like 13 which scares some people, just a good old fashioned fun layout.

dazza4783
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:32 pm

Andy Mc wrote:
Guessing 2017 opening. I'm sure on Twitter the social team said dismantling of The Flume would take place this season. Would be an awful long time preparing a site for a 2018 opening and if we go back to the Linkedin profile it does say an attraction is to come in 2017.

Personally asking for a Wooden coaster in this area.

It does seem like the ride is due for next year (hopefully). Although look how far Blackpool seem to be along with preparations for their new coaster, but Amanda Thompson seems adamant that it will open in 2018 rather than next year. So who knows.

theparklifekid
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:20 am

My reaction to this was....
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:58 am

Look at the new coaster at PortAventura it's already built with a train already on the track but it's not opening to 2017.
I think it will be 2018 as this year they will hope the Smiler has a trouble free season and they get Charlie,Hex,Driving school,Wobble World and Sub terra looking like new and improved for 2017 will hopefully a replacement for Ripsaw.

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:09 am

I'm really unsure about when this attraction will be opening. I say this because they will first have to remove and demolish the entire flume and any buildings they aren't keeping. Next remove a large number of trees (I assume) to prepare the site. Then they will need to remove water from the 'lake' if they plan to build here. This all has to be done before construction of the coaster can even be considered. In regards to teasing the ride 'so early' it's not really that crazy to think Merlin want to give an explanation to why one of their most loved attractions has been closed, and why that entire area is fenced off.

So I'm not going to say it MUST be 2017 or 2018 because right now we dont know the scale of the project, which when plans come out we will and then we can make a more accurate assumption to when this attraction shall be operational. :)

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:58 am

It depends on how much money they want to throw st it. if they spend the money it can open next year, subject to any planning requirements of course

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:29 am

Well that was unexpected! I don't think any of us thought we would see anything to do with SW8 just yet.

I would love to see either a RMC or Mack Megacoaster on the Flume site but I think they'll go with some sort of water attraction to offset the removal of the Flume.

DavidA
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:11 am

Just been looking around and it seems that they is a massive general development order. That covers the flume site and all of katanga canyon. So we might never see a planning application. .

GMan
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:07 pm

If that's the case then it's great to see merlin being more secretive with their big investments, with neither this nor the actual "ride" part of DBGT showing up on planning unlike the Swarm and Smiler having their entire layout known over a year before opening. (With the exception of Smiler's first heartline twist ofc)
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan

stevebrown
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:22 pm

This was announced at the official Galactica - a new park zone?

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-o ... o-11054888

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:13 pm

'Two new rides' - certainly an exciting couple of days! They wouldn't be mentioning it to the press if they were merely conceptual propositions, so this is quite promising news. Perhaps we'll see the 2017 and 2018 attractions both added to this area of the park. If one thing's for sure, it's looking to be an exciting next few years for the Resort.

xylyx
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:47 pm

I second that, it's all very intriguing. The guy on LinkedIn peeked my curiosity with the mention of secret stuff for 2017 can't wait to find out what's in store.

In regards to FV I'm sure I recall them mentioning developments in the area separate to the tlc improvements and the weird new thing they put in Ripsaws footprint...