UK theme parks from another point of view!

Phild94
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SW8

Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:11 pm

Just wondering is this an area which requires specific planning permission or something more along the lines of tell the planning council the important bits I.e they show high points and general area but they've just filled in the area with some track to throw us lot off!

looptheloop
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:58 pm

I was on park today and there appeared to be a group of workers from AT and elsewhere around the flume area in discussion, not sure what about though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JamesSmiles
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Stoke On Trent, Staffordshire, Newcastle Under Lyme, Chesterton, ST5 7ET

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:56 am

So. I've done some investigating again.
I've looked at the potential layout for SW8 and I've matched it with a similar sort of ride which is Taron at Phantasialand. The layout has long straight sections which could potentially mean launch sections. Not only would this support the 10m height restriction but also have enough speed at a low to ground experience. The plans show 0 inversions just like Taron and also many straight sections which could mean multi launch. Earlier plans revealed that the SW8 coaster will have sound tunnels just like the themed rock tunnelling on Taron. Coasterlabs also released concept trains that looked like Mack Mega coaster trains which are incredibly similar to that of an Intamin Blitz Coaster train. I aren't 100% sure but at the moment it looks as though SW8 will be an Intamin Blitz Coaster just like Taron. This would be easy for Towers due to their strong relationship in deals with Intamin and their budget range.
James Smiles :D SmILE ALwaYs

tcw1993
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:44 am

I work in the building trade and the first lot of plans that get submitted to planning are usually waaaaaay off the final product. As long as the height and footprint are there, they can do pretty much what they want in that space, obviously I am aware that ATR have noise complaints against them but like I say, these plans are probably very very vague, so I wouldn't start slating it and getting disappointed yet, because, remember at the end of the day this is the FIRST step to building a new ride, there's plenty more time to change things up. Which I have no doubt ATR will do. ;)

i love sub terra. By the looks of it, the only one.

Jacko11111
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:05 am

Meanwhile, on the TowersStreet forums, a user called cactuselves has all but confirmed it to be a GCI woodie.

Here is the planning link: https://www.docdroid.net/2ihKQwF/ancoast.pdf.html

Here is the original post link: https://towersstreet.com/talk/threads/2 ... 82/page-74

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:44 am

Jacko11111 wrote:
Meanwhile, on the TowersStreet forums, a user called cactuselves has all but confirmed it to be a GCI woodie.

Here is the planning link: https://www.docdroid.net/2ihKQwF/ancoast.pdf.html

Here is the original post link: https://towersstreet.com/talk/threads/2 ... 82/page-74

Although it us an interesting post, you can't say something is confirmed based on planning documents as lacking as these. Once the full documents are released we will be able to know more. :)

NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:49 am

Whilst I believe ( and other most people) that a woodie is the most likely type of ride, I don't think we can say for sure until we see more planning that reveals the type of structure (wood or steel) or we see a wooden coaster company on site, or something like that. :)

EDIT: Owen, you ninja'd me :lol

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:57 pm

I believe the reasoning for the 'confirmation' is that the key in the document posted above shows a wooden coaster support structure...

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:51 pm

lewis97 wrote:
I believe the reasoning for the 'confirmation' is that the key in the document posted above shows a wooden coaster support structure...

Am I dillusional or has a wooden coaster just been 100% confirmed?
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:56 pm

I was referring to the manufacturer in my post, Lewis. GCI aren't the only company to dabble in wooden support structures last time I checked! ;)

Horras64
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:30 pm

Super excited seeing these applications. Alton Towers is finally getting a woodie!!??

Jacko11111
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:53 pm

Unless they have done that on purpose to trick the community, then it looks like it \:D/

That sounds guilty to me :D
Last edited by Ladyofthelake on Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edit to merge double post

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:27 pm

The response is just a generic "keep watching our page for more" response, as the media team won't know much to do with the project - especially at this stage. I'd say the phrase "don't jump the gun" applies here, it may look one way but I'd advise to keep an open mind - as these plans aren't going to be the most reliable to tell specific manufacturers. However, we can say that this attraction is more or less going to be a wooden supported attraction. Fingers crossed! :)

Zach
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:23 pm

Javs wrote:
Yeah tunnel(s) have been mentioned in the plans so it will definitely be going underground more than once!!

Why must it go underground to go through a tunnel...?

looptheloop
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:30 pm

I was on park yesterday and a member of staff told a friend of mine that what was coming will be bigger than the Smiler, not sure if that's already obvious from the plans though.

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:41 pm

Based on the plans above, The Smiler is much much larger :lol

This addition will be intresting to say the least, I guess we'll just have to wait and see! :D

Dannyski
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 01, 2016 12:29 am

I'm still not entirely convinced it's a woodie, where's the 'ground breaking new ride development' bit going to come in for a woodie? The term 'ground breaking new development' makes me think of something like Air or Oblivion which were groundbreaking at the time, while different experiences using prototype technology...but then why use that term and not 'worlds first' which they love using, if it really is something ground breaking?

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 01, 2016 7:31 am

I think it has pretty much been proven that it is a wooden coaster.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]

theparklifekid
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 01, 2016 8:23 am

*Does a massive grin
*Prays to the coaster gods, that this is a woodie....
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!

Guitar
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 01, 2016 8:44 am

I've been looking at the plans and trying to take it all in. This is the first time I've taken an active interest in watching a roller coaster come to fruition so I apologise if I make any glaring errors.

It shows height marks, I am assuming they are in Meters. From the top of the lift slope to the end of the brake run is a height difference of (201 - 184.5) 16.5 meters (~54.1 feet). Which means that the total drop for the whole ride is less than the drop on Thir3teen (I wiki'd the heights).

Is it possible this is not SW8? In the same way as Spinball Whizzer wasn't designated an SW tag? SW8 was rumoured for 2018, but this looks like a fairly standard coaster which could easily be built for ~April next year.

Maybe it's my inexperience but I just cant see what would be worlds first about this ride. Putting this together with the report that said 2 major rides were coming and this coaster looking more family orientated than is typical for an SW coaster, I believe this is not SW8.