UK theme parks from another point of view!

dazza4783
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SW8

Fri May 20, 2016 8:47 pm

Horras64 wrote:
"Demolition of existing structures and the installation of a new rollercoaster, construction of associated buildings, landscaping and groundworks."

I wonder which buildings will be demolished? Probably the old flume station in order to have it replaced by "The Smokehouse"

The demolition part most likely refers to the removal of the flume itself which will obviously also include the station.

Horras64
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 20, 2016 10:06 pm

dazza4783 wrote:
Horras64 wrote:
"Demolition of existing structures and the installation of a new rollercoaster, construction of associated buildings, landscaping and groundworks."

I wonder which buildings will be demolished? Probably the old flume station in order to have it replaced by "The Smokehouse"

The demolition part most likely refers to the removal of the flume itself which will obviously also include the station.

Oh yeah, should see a full application soon.

Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 20, 2016 11:44 pm

I'm hoping they hide that duck somewhere in the area once the new ride is built, imagine in the queue line you can see it a distance away....watching you from the bushes....waiting....

xylyx
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 21, 2016 11:27 am

That could be the secret element, the pre-show sets the nightmare duck in pursuit of those on the ride, you get a small headstart up the standard lift hill without him seeing, just before it changes elevation a hideous quack echoes forth and the duck comes racing up behind you as you hit a launch section, then it's effectively likea dog race with you as the rabbit.

The theming interactions are an attempt to gain ground on your pursuer with obstructions and what have you lol and you just manage to get away before the break run.

It would be great if the duck was an Easter Egg in the most nightmarish scenario on DBGT :D that should make my day.

Georgie
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 21, 2016 2:00 pm

You guys should know better than to give me ideas.

Anyway, to get back to the actual topic at hand, uh yeah. We'll see the planning application go in soon. Maybe. Can we go back to talking about ducks now? I'd love to see a ride themed to a killer duck attacking mutiny bay. brb I wanna draw that too now
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan

theparklifekid
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 21, 2016 2:23 pm

I think we should start a partition called "Make Alton Towers put a rubber duck easter egg in SW8 (or theme the entire ride on a rubber duck)" and then send it to the park officials. :lol
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 21, 2016 3:18 pm

Getting back on topic seeing as it's gotten slightly silly, the planning should come through soon, although who knows what it will show, anything interesting or will parts will be obscured (more than likely)? It's all very exciting! :)

Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 21, 2016 5:39 pm

Yes, the parts of the ride involving a GIANT KILLER DUCK WILL BE OBSCURED!

...I hope the plans don't show everything, surprise is good. Though I suppose I could just not look at the plans, but I don't have the willpower for that.

xylyx
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 21, 2016 6:28 pm

Nor do I but I'll chastise myself anyway when its spoiled, just like I'll do with dbgt.

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 22, 2016 12:21 pm

Anyone got a rough timeline for anything appearing on here? http://publicaccess.staffsmoorlands.gov ... KID=104356

I can't wait :P

CJH
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 22, 2016 2:27 pm

No time line for anything appearing on that, various different rides have different times between this going up and supporting documents showing. Just in the near future I am guessing. Don't hold your breath as it may not even show anything substantial as it doesn't have to.

lewis97
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sun May 22, 2016 3:05 pm

It took around 10 days for the documents to be added to the recent application for the Enchanted Village expansion from the date that it was received, however if you look back at The Smiler's application is was received and validated on the same day. With the application being updated with the fee on Friday, I'd expect to see the documents appear this week, although there's no exact time-frame.

The Screening Opinion Request states that we can expect the following, so it should be fairly comprehensive although there's still scope for them to hide things;
1. Application forms, certificates and appropriate application fee
2. Plans, elevations and other illustrative material
3. Covering letter (including planning assessment)
4. Heritage Impact Assessment
5. Landscape and Visual Impact Assessment
6. Design and Access Statement
7. Ecology Assessment
8. Transport Statement
9. Noise Assessment
10. Arboricultural Report
11. Flood Risk Assessment (including Drainage Strategy)

Evostance
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 29, 2016 9:53 pm

After seeing The Joker, I'm really holding out hope that SW8 is going to be an RMC.

I doubt it though :(

dazza4783
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 30, 2016 3:27 pm

Evostance wrote:
After seeing The Joker, I'm really holding out hope that SW8 is going to be an RMC.

I think the Forbidden Valley woodie was probably going to be an RMC, although I think the Mutiny Bay one is more likely going to be Gravity Group or GCI.

Horras64
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 30, 2016 7:05 pm

dazza4783 wrote:
Evostance wrote:

I think the Forbidden Valley woodie was probably going to be an RMC, although I think the Mutiny Bay one is more likely going to be Gravity Group or GCI.

I don't remember it being confirmed that the Forbidden Valley coaster was gonna be a woodie, so this could still be an RMC. I think they'll go with RMC to make it modern, rather than seemingly old which coasters like Stampida for example seem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tcw1993
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 30, 2016 9:37 pm

GThing64 wrote:
If anything was to bring Wardley out of retirement I would expect it to be this. After all, bringing a woodie to Alton has been a plan of his for a long time.

John has said that he still does bits for Merlin and always will. Just not having as much involvement as he used too :)
i love sub terra. By the looks of it, the only one.

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 31, 2016 8:17 am

Horras64 wrote:
dazza4783 wrote:
Evostance wrote:

I don't remember it being confirmed that the Forbidden Valley coaster was gonna be a woodie, so this could still be an RMC. I think they'll go with RMC to make it modern, rather than seemingly old which coasters like Stampida for example seem.

An RMC makes sense to me too given that Merlin were funny about wooden roller coasters as they were "hard" to market, a RMC which doesn't look like the traditional woodens would make sense.

dazza4783
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 31, 2016 11:07 am

Horras64 wrote:
dazza4783 wrote:
Evostance wrote:

You don't make steel coasters using timber truss. So yes it was either going to be a woodie or a hybrid.

Also if the layout for SW8 is the one we have seen then the way it turns and comes down through the lift hill looks more typical of GCI coaster layouts than RMC, Wodan and Apocalypse for example.
I would love for Towers to get an RMC, but I don't think SW8 will be one.
I think it is more likely that Merlin will test the waters about modern woodies in the UK by adding a family one in Alton Towers. Then if that is received well they will probably add a big thrill RMC at Thorpe Park.

abigsmurf
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 31, 2016 1:10 pm

Looking at the layout, the closest woodie I could see to it is the White Lighting. Bigger focus on keeping the speed high for the whole ride with lots of small dips to compensate instead of focusing on big drops.

It's a tough marketing ask though, wouldn't be the biggest or fastest in the UK and I'm not sure there are any unique elements they could promote.

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 31, 2016 4:46 pm

Additional documents NOW AVAILABLE on the planning site, I'm having a look as I type......

Yep, it has wooden supports!
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]