UK theme parks from another point of view!

abigsmurf
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SW8

Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:30 pm

Definitely makes it look like it's aimed at being a family coaster. The big drop is heavily banked and not too steep and it looks like the rest of the track is high speed but not to intense, other than losing your stomach briefly 1-2 times.

Looks fun and it'll be great as a ride a family can go on together but I still feel it needs a bit of a gimmick to make up for the short length of it.

Dannyski
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:16 pm

Having watched the POV, it's actually a longer experience that I imagined, looks fun too!

Adam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:05 pm

I'm thinking that they will use the sound tunnel to their advantage - perhaps add some lights, audio, smoke, etc - especially looking at how long it is

S.J_O'Grady
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:07 pm

As Dannyski says, it's actually longer than it looks on the rough POV vid:

https://youtu.be/f3LcXyaP-VI
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.

118hazaman
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:14 pm

The POV looks great. However, I am a firm believer that what we see isn't the full extent of the ride. AT has done it before, and they'll do it again.

lewis97
Team Admin
Team Admin

Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:31 pm

Something to note is that the documents submitted as part of this application no longer show The Flume site as a GDO area, as it was previously thought to be. If this is the case then there isn't really much scope for Towers to make significant structural changes, like what was seen with The Smiler.

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:59 pm

Looks to have nice speed and a few nice airtime moments from the early POV. Slightly disappointed that Alton Towers finally getting a wooden coaster it seems to be aimed towards the family with no inversions or high banking turns but not complaining as it'll be a nice change at towers and a nice filler ride going through Mutiny Bay to FV.

Here's to hoping its a totally boss train carriage.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc

Javs
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:11 am

118hazaman wrote:
The POV looks great. However, I am a firm believer that what we see isn't the full extent of the ride. AT has done it before, and they'll do it again.

What more are you expecting to happen? On what have they done this before?

xylyx
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:35 am

Maybe it will be a spinning Woodie lol

As said before I don't mind it being gimmick free, if it maintains the pace of other GCI compact designs and uses the terrain like it appears to I'll be a happy bug. Fast ground hugging coasters are something else :D

S.J_O'Grady
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:01 am

The only thing that makes me think there must be something more to it is that it's a SW. And as good as it looks, it would be strange for them to install a SW so standard.
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.

Javs
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:38 am

Well I think it is there for us all to see! Its a wooden rollercoaster (almost definately GCI) with what appears to be a launched LIM lift system (which will no doubt slow towards the top due to the tight turn but still offer a good entry speed), a fast layout with some nice airtime. Sounds bloody fantastic to me!

118hazaman
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:42 pm

Javs wrote:
118hazaman wrote:

What more are you expecting to happen? On what have they done this before?

It looks great, I can't deny it. I just think, as others as said, there's more to it. AT haven't previously put in standard rides as part of the Secret Weapon series. Each ride had it's own quirk (or gimmick). Whether this will be continued I don't know, only time will tell.

Adam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:21 pm

To be honest, after SW8 has launched, Spinball Whizzer will be removed, IMO. It fills the age gap between RMT and th13teen, nemesis, etc, so I think part of the reason SW8 is family themed is to fill the age gap. They already have a pretty solid thrill ride lineup, so a more family based ride will be needed. (This is presuming Spinball will be removed before 2020, stated by the LTDP).

iamradam
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, Oxfordland, United Oxdom, Oxfordonia, Planet Ox

Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:54 pm

This looks, in all honesty, a perfect fit for the park. Alton Towers is drastically focusing on families and they need this bridge between tame and wild rides to replace Spinball Whizzer (just realised the initials are SW and I almost put that lol).
Y'all are gonna love it when it's open, I know it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

liam.rigby16
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:15 pm

Spinball won't go. It always has a full queue.

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:34 pm

liam.rigby16 wrote:
Spinball won't go. It always has a full queue.

And it also has something that is called abysmal capacity. I see it going at the end of the 2018 season.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]

YourNemesis
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:10 am

A water splash in the same place the flumes was would be my guess, (as part of the ride not SW element if there is one) sentimental and adds to pirate theme. Also the return is in the exact same location.

lewis97
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:50 am

The issue is that there isn't a body of water shown on the plans nor is it mentioned in the Flood Risk and Drainage Assessment.

lkav1983
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:31 pm

Been on the park today what a cracking day it was. Looking at the site I think this is gonna look pretty grand in scale, I know the layout doesn't look this way

RobHand
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:33 pm

I cannot wait for SW8, and if it is aimed at families then great.
I just thought that, seemingly being a long term / permanent coaster (for the fact it is a SW, and a wooden coaster), that they would apply a enforcing "thrill factor", not even a gimmick as such, that will keep guests thrilled in many years to come, much like nemesis,oblivion, 13 etc. Just how long before the coaster becomes out dated.

Again i must stress I'm sure i will love the coaster no matter what!!!, and not every detail has been reviled on what is to come yet. I just hope the coaster will do as well in the future like the rest of the SWs

When have Towers ever let us down??!!! (excluding sub-terra of course ;) :lol )