UK theme parks from another point of view!

S.J_O'Grady
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SW8

Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:00 am

The more I see of this, the more it grows on me. I think the best part of it is that it is so different from anything Alton have ever had before. I just wish it could be a bit longer! When it first opens it will undoubtedly have large queues and the public are going to want to see something that has more to offer than just being a bit different so I'm still hoping for a hidden special feature in there somewhere.

Seeing as it looks like a family coaster, I don't think a full backstory is necessary, although plenty of pirate (I assume) theming would be nice!
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.

Justin
Contributor
Contributor

Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:55 am

If a new area is not to be opened, then I would love a pirate theme. I believe we will get some story due to the preshow building though.

tcw1993
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:29 pm

SmileAlways wrote:
I have to admit, I'm not exactly thrilled about the new coaster. I expected with it being a Secret Weapon, it would stick to the theme of "World's First", "World's Most", "UK's First", etc. But looking at it, it just doesn't look like it will which disappoints me. I was talking to my mum a couple of days before the Wooden Coaster was announced and I was saying how with John Wardley seemingly no longer being a part of the Roller Coaster creating process, the park may go downhill and how I'd hate to see them just throw a new ride into an area just for the sake of it instead of really planning it out and therefore using the Secret Weapon branding to get people excited and guessing, coming up with all kinds of "World's First" ideas just to let us all be disappointed. I would really hate for them to use the branding on a regular old Wooden Coaster. It needs to be something different and new. With the height of the ride, the area and the turns, it's not really looking like a launched coaster or an inverted. In fact, it's looking more like a go-up-the-hill-go-down-do-some-turns-and-finish type of coaster.

John Wardley has said he will always do bits for Alton, he retired in 2001 officially. And Alton towers aren't silly. They will have something up there sleeve. And besides, you guys have been asking for a woodie since the beginning of time and now you've got one its not good enough? [emoji849]
i love sub terra. By the looks of it, the only one.

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:49 pm

tcw1993 wrote:
And besides, you guys have been asking for a woodie since the beginning of time and now you've got one its not good enough?

I think subconsciously people have recent woodies in the back of there minds and comparing this brief glimpse of what it is like is a little underwhelming to some.

The majority will welcome this addition myself included as its been long overdue however wooden coasters have come a long way recently, now Alton Towers finally have one coming it seems to me at least on a relatively short compact scale focusing on the mid-range guests.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:40 am

People were just expecting some thing huge, especially after the cross valley coaster plans (which looked incredibly dull might I add). To expect Alton Towers to build a huge wooden coaster is asking a lot - with their restrictions it becomes s nightmare to build something of a substantial size and these nightmare get worse when the coaster in question is a wooden coaster. On the other hand I can't help but feel this is lacking the real 'wow' factor that has came with all Secret Weapons prior, and it's almost as if the fact it's made of wood qualifies it for SW status, although I'm hoping an immersive story can prove me wrong...

I am pleased we are getting a new coaster, especially a family one as personally I like genuinely fun coasters as well as those that are solely based on thrill. On the flip size I'm not overly bothered about it being wooden - I've never really understood the appeal for them, it's not a big selling factor for me personally. I am looking forward to seeing this development unfold, it may be the smallest SW to date - however it certainly doesn't mean it won't be a good solid attraction. :)

Guitar
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:05 pm

Height generally equals speed for coasters, but being launched means it could still be a thriller. The shallow lift hill might be bacuse of the power supply issues AT has. I haven't looked into LIM's but my basic knowledge of physics tells me that a shallow lift hill requires less current than a steep lift hill to reach the same speed at the top. If they are expecting it to speed up a lot, a shallow lift hill would help considerably with peak power consumption.

xylyx
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:21 am

Launching up a slope would be very power intensive as you're adding gravity into the mix, albeit to a greater or lesser degree dependant on the angle. The inertia on a heavy object like a ride car would be huge, which is why launches are generally done on a flat to minimise the power needs.

Jammydodger
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:14 pm

It seems like SW8 is generally more of a whole area project. They'll be giving one of the most run down looking parts of the park a complete restart, potentially creating an entire new zone and giving the park a staple theme park attraction.

Unless there is some big secret they are hiding then I will probably always view this as SW 7.5. But I'm okay with that.
It won't be the longest or fastest or most intense, but it'll be just what the park needs after everything that has happened. A low risk,low cost, but worthwhile coaster. Especially when we could have ended up with another Rita scenario where they could have just installed an uninspired off the shelf coaster to spike attendance momentarily instead.

looptheloop
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:29 pm

I do like the look of this, with some good theming this could be a good experience/ride although being an SW I was hoping it would be a bit bigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guitar
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:10 pm

xylyx wrote:
Launching up a slope would be very power intensive as you're adding gravity into the mix, albeit to a greater or lesser degree dependant on the angle. The inertia on a heavy object like a ride car would be huge, which is why launches are generally done on a flat to minimise the power needs.

Which would make the really long, shallow lift hill make sense. Hot Rod at Dollywood in the USA has a really steep lift hill I wonder how much power it draws.

xylyx
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:59 pm

True, and I suspect the gradient change may have something more significant about it. If it does launch I don't think it will be a big speed boost as that first turn is brutal and taking it at speed could well be very unpleasant. Lol

Tom
Team Admin
Team Admin

Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:22 am

xylyx wrote:
True, and I suspect the gradient change may have something more significant about it. If it does launch I don't think it will be a big speed boost as that first turn is brutal and taking it at speed could well be very unpleasant. Lol

Some extreme banking along with decent speed would make that turn around awesome.

towerslover
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:55 pm

Does it looks like Alton Towers are going to start a cycle with major investments, one being aimed at a family target audience, the next being aimed at thrill seekers, then family, then thrill and so on. Just guessing due to th13teen, the smiler, then this looking like it's heading towards that target audience...

xylyx
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:57 pm

Tom-TT wrote:

Some extreme banking along with decent speed would make that turn around awesome.

Ooh good point, and imagine if you entered that tunnel along the wall.......

tcw1993
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:41 pm

Andy Mc wrote:
tcw1993 wrote:
And besides, you guys have been asking for a woodie since the beginning of time and now you've got one its not good enough?

I think subconsciously people have recent woodies in the back of there minds and comparing this brief glimpse of what it is like is a little underwhelming to some.

The majority will welcome this addition myself included as its been long overdue however wooden coasters have come a long way recently, now Alton Towers finally have one coming it seems to me at least on a relatively short compact scale focusing on the mid-range guests.

I agree mate. Alton need more family coasters IMO and over here there's practically no family woodies so I feel it would be a great addition if this is the case

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:24 pm

This week SMDC have received comments from SCC Flood (although this document doesn't load so we are unable to see their response), a Great Crested Newt report which has no objections to the proposal and comments from Alton Parish Council who also have no objections.

theparklifekid
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:58 pm

Its been a little silent for SW8, have any changes been made on the flume site?
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:02 pm

There won't be much activity until the planning application is decided by Staffordshire Moorlands District Council. Currently they are still gathering all the relevant consultation responses in order to be able to make their decision. Based on previous applications I would expect a decision at either the July or August planning committees (planning committee usually takes place once a month). If/once the application is approved, I expect we will then start to see the first signs of activity on the site, although I expect most of the major removal work will take place over the closed season whilst the park is closed to the public to minimise disruption to guests.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:49 am

The document containing the comments of SCC Flood is now viewable which confirms that they have no objections to the application.

tcw1993
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:12 pm

theparklifekid wrote:
Its been a little silent for SW8, have any changes been made on the flume site?

If all is accepted construction is due to start in September I believe. This will be the start of any major activity