UK theme parks from another point of view!

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SW8

Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:41 pm

The UK's first wooden rollercoaster in 22 years.
From Wikipedia. I hope not! [-X

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:44 pm

I think that's true. Megaphobia was built in 1996 and the Blackpool ones I assume are either older or about the same age

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:59 pm

Dom wrote:
I think that's true. Megaphobia was built in 1996 and the Blackpool ones I assume are either older or about the same age

My point is, I hope this isnt the 'worlds first' they go for, I'd prefer something a bit more unique!

Nickolai
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:03 pm

Because we really don't know the worlds first aspects (there might no even be one), I hope Merlin make the unguessable doable with this, without it being ridiculous. *cough* putting guests in a ball and roll it down the track *cough*
Formally Smiler313

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:08 pm

Stan.H wrote:
Dom wrote:

My point is, I hope this isnt the 'worlds first' they go for, I'd prefer something a bit more unique!

And a world's first isn't unique? :lol

I'm sure Merlin will have thought it through. It will go one of two ways. It will either be a good addition to the park or it will be god awful.

Nickolai
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:13 pm

Either way its an investment! However I think Merlin wouldn't make it rubbish as they need brings the crowds up to levels before the crash. Whether it has a worlds first element or not, I just hope it could fit in a park like Europa theming wise. :)
Formally Smiler313

Jack
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:20 pm

I'm sick of the worlds firsts myself, I want Merlin to get their heads down and build a solid coaster with the whole marketing point being that it's the best one you will ride.

And with this, that isn't happening looking at the layout, but it looks like an awesome family coaster and if they market SW8 in any way that isn't aimed at families then they will have either end up with people getting more than they bargained for, bringing small children and such, or we will have another Thirteen where people expect way too much from it.

Theo
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:39 pm

Jack wrote:
I'm sick of the worlds firsts myself, I want Merlin to get their heads down and build a solid coaster with the whole marketing point being that it's the best one you will ride.

And with this, that isn't happening looking at the layout, but it looks like an awesome family coaster and if they market SW8 in any way that isn't aimed at families then they will have either end up with people getting more than they bargained for, bringing small children and such, or we will have another Thirteen where people expect way too much from it.

I completely agree. Most of the best coasters in the world aren't world's first e.g. intimidator 305, maverick. I just wish Merlin could get that in their heads.

ROYJESS
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:37 pm

Nemesis was never a worlds first, the first original inverted suspended coaster was in America and John Wardly said we must have one but we will build it better than the original and it is still one of the best coasters in the world.

It just goes to show, it don't have to be a worlds first, it just has to be the worlds best

xylyx
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:53 pm

Yeah if they're going down the world first or unique element route, I hope it's something that suits the ride, not just crowbarred in to help the marketing.

Looking at the other GCI coasters that are around they don't seem to go in for gimmicks, they may well try to make the enclosed drop a gimmick but GCI really seem to have their heads screwed on so hopefully they'll reign them in .

theparklifekid
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:23 am

Im still convinced it will be a worlds first, but an easy one to do, thats why i'm still rooting for world's first floorless wooden coaster. I imagine that would be relatively easy to pull off and still have a "world's first" attached to it.
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:06 pm

First off...

xylyx wrote:
Looking at the other GCI coasters that are around they don't seem to go in for gimmicks

What's in the shed... ;)

On a serious note,
I honestly don't mind if it's worlds first or not. The Smiler and 13 remain as two of my favourite rides and they were both "worlds first" (although one more loosely than the other). To me "worlds first" is simply a marketing tool and doesn't really effect my view on the ride, as even if it does have some sort of element to it that doesn't necessarily mean the design team were any lazier when designing the attraction - The Smiler is a great example. I don't really understand the argument for or against having a worlds first, as you can tell Merlin haven't just designed their attractions solely on the element nor are they necessary.

However, that's not to say I'm not concerned about this attraction. SW8 needs to be top of class in order to move away from The Smiler, but with what seems to be prototype technology (for GCI) being used I have to wonder if that's the best move as nothing is guaranteed to work. You just have to look at The Smiler and Ghost Train to see how using prototype tech has went in the last 3 years, I hope it's not something that hits SW8 as well...

NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:02 pm

If this coaster turns out as I think it will and the magnetic lift system is somewhat more like Lightning Rod's lift than any other GCI lift (but silent), I think we might see it advertised as a Europe's first or even just a UK first. Either way, I don't see SW8 going with World's First marketing - what Merlin seem to be moving towards now is "*insert country here*'s first *insert coaster type here*". We've seen this with Oblivion The Black Hole and Krake (marketed as their nation's first dive coaster) and Flug Der Daemonen and The Swarm (Germany's and UK's first wing coaster respectively), which are fairly recent rides for the most part.

As a side note, I don't know if I should be worried or not that there was NO construction activity on The Flume site during the 2016 season. I don't want another Smiler/DBGT on Towers hands where the ride is volatile and experiences issues on the technical side as well as a delayed opening. I believe the delayed opening was part of why Smiler didn't draw in the same crowds as Th13teen, so fingers crossed it still hits that March 2018 goal!
Last edited by NemesisRider on Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:19 pm

I'm now thinking that The Flume may have just been shut for budget cuts, but covering it up with the boards saying SW8 on, so that the GP don't really notice its SBNO and just go 'ohh a new ride'.

As with the ride, I'd be very very concerned if construction doesn't start soon, or maybe bts they are already working on stuff!

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:21 pm

I know someone at IAAPA right now (TTSP username Saw-X-Smile ) and she told me that she spoke to people at the GCI stand and they said they are hoping to finalise a contract with Alton Towers in the near future. So it sounds like the SW8 contract isn't even final yet.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:48 pm

MakoMania wrote:
I know someone at IAAPA right now (TTSP username Saw-X-Smile ) and she told me that she spoke to people at the GCI stand and they said they are hoping to finalise a contract with Alton Towers in the near future. So it sounds like the SW8 contract isn't even final yet.

I wouldn't be too concerned by that - the key word here is 'finalise'. I expect what the situation is is that any contract and agreement will be subject to the Resort receiving planning permission (which they have), and the conditions of the planning permission being met (which the Resort are in the process of sorting). The last thing either party would want is to sign a full contract then find they don't have permission to build what they've planned. The other thing you have to remember is that no company will fully confirm anything in a general conversation at a stand at a trade show unless a formal announcement has already been made. They will be deliberately vague, just to be on the safe side.

Theo
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:56 pm

Sorry if this has already been asked but I'm really keen to know. Does anyone know when The Smiler's theme and name were released to the public? As this could hopefully offer some insight into when Alton will release the information for SW8. Thanks.

Tom170499
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:12 pm

Theo wrote:
Sorry if this has already been asked but I'm really keen to know. Does anyone know when The Smiler's theme and name were released to the public? As this could hopefully offer some insight into when Alton will release the information for SW8. Thanks.

I think it was some time around January 2013 but don't quote me on that, it could have been later.

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:17 pm

Theo wrote:

Whenever they released the smiler's information, may not necessarily reflect when SW8 info is released.

Justin
Contributor
Contributor

Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:47 pm

Theo wrote:

The earliest clues were given in the summer of 2012. The hoardings featured a DNA style image and were later replaced with The Smiler logo around October 2012. Logos also appeared around the park as teasers.

Each project will vary, however you might not see anything until October next year!