UK theme parks from another point of view!

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SW8

Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:56 pm

Stan.H wrote:
S.J_O'Grady wrote:
1. I still think the whole layout looks pretty dull and far too short
2. As some may have noticed from my previous posts, I hate IPs

I can't say I'm particularly pleased about all this, especially as it will be five years we've had to wait since the last SW :-(

Sorry but, where did it say that this secret weapon is based on an ip?

There is a Movie called Wicker Man, but as you say just because the ride may be themed around a Wicker Man doesn't mean that it has to be linked to the movie

Come to think of it, the whole Wicker Man theme has more than a faint resemblance of Altonville Mine Tours :?

Or this whole Wicker Man thing could be putting us on completely the wrong path :lol
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]

S.J_O'Grady
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:08 pm

True, it might not be the film wicker man, but it seems so random next to mutiny bay that when I first saw it i thought of the movie. (An excuse to throw an IP into the park)

EDIT: Actually now I think about, if it was an IP based on one of films then it's either based on a forgotten film from the early 70s or a total failure of a remake so perhaps that is unlikely. Maybe I just thought too quickly! :roll:
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.

Luviico
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:24 pm

That demolition picture is rather heart wrenching! it never feels real that a classic Alton ride is no more until you see it completely broken up! I must admit I hadn't gone on the flume for years as when I had visited the weather hadn't been great but I will miss it! the layout was very lengthy with a good few decent drops and just like corky i'll always hold it close to my heart as a reminder of my first visits to Alton when I was a child (when the magic was at it's strongest). It's a shame to see it go but I am looking forward to seeing what we get in it's place, I've never been on a wooden coaster before so wouldn't know what to expect but the excitement of following the construction and seeing what is done with themeing will be very interesting! we should also expect some kind of world or UK first seeing as there's an SW attached to it. To be honest I would be okay without a gimmick, just an enjoyable ride experience will do me fine, along with a good attempt at themeing of course. I'm also glad that it will be considered a KC coaster as it's an area of the park that has long since stayed untouched. Can't wait to see how it will fit in with KC and whether it will take on a jungle/mine theme.

JonDoesTT
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:06 pm

S.J_O'Grady wrote:
True, it might not be the film wicker man, but it seems so random next to mutiny bay that when I first saw it i thought of the movie. (An excuse to throw an IP into the park)

EDIT: Actually now I think about, if it was an IP based on one of films then it's either based on a forgotten film from the early 70s or a total failure of a remake so perhaps that is unlikely. Maybe I just thought too quickly! :roll:

Doesn't have to be an IP. Using the Wicker Man film as an IP is a bad idea, because it is supposed to be a horror movie. With it near a family area like Mutiny Bay, it would be a bad place to put it. I know Th13teen is a horror themed coaster, and that's pretty close to CCL, but there's nothing scary about it from the outside, whereas a large wicker man could be scary to some people, if it was actually based on the film.

It could be based on the burning man festival (seen below), which someone might have already suggested, because they could create a large festival type area, and have something slightly darker to do with the large wicker man/burning man in the middle.

Or, it could just not be a wicker man at all :lol

Credit to NemesisRider

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:39 pm

Glad to see construction (or should I say deconstruction!) has started, but it is very sad to see The Flume like that! As for the possible Wicker Man theme, it would certainly be interesting!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 1770!
Ride count 2019: 618!
Cred count: 88!

S.J_O'Grady
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:50 pm

Well this is depressing! I genuinely can't believe how much it's upset me. I only went on the ride 3 times and yet it feels like a massive loss.

I'm kind of hoping for a happy theme, rather than something scary or miserable. I think they've got plenty of "dark" themed attractions now and a ride doesn't have to be dark to be thrilling.
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:22 pm

I do love dark themes and it wouldn't bother me if this ride had one, but I can see why it would upset some people especially with it looking to be on the tamer side of a thrill coaster and located near to/in Katanga Canyon & Mutiny Bay which are family orientated areas.

Nickolai
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:18 pm

MakoMania wrote:
Come to think of it, the whole Wicker Man theme has more than a faint resemblance of Altonville Mine Tours :?

Well you never know! - Maybye the post about the SW8 boards looking very similar to the original Skin Snatchers I made ages ago might be going on to something! ;)
Formally Smiler313

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:03 pm

I'm actually gutted by the image of the The Flume being taken, no, obliterated like that. Its sad to see such an iconic thing gone. But alas, the future is calling. As for the Wicker Man, it would make for a very unique center piece to the coaster and does bring an interesting idea if true. The films and the statue are all based on Pagan rituals and human sacrifice.

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:14 pm

The Wickerman Seems a bit morbid for a family area :lol I'd say that's the only way the flume could be gone quick, with the concrete troughs, makes more sense to demolish it but the picture is quite sad even though I didn't really like it as a ride, you have to appreciate it was one of the rides which made the park what it is today.

rolicoli8
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:24 am

Perhaps it'll be a wicker man statue to fit the theme rather than a 'wicker man' theme, for example if the ride has a theme based on pirates, maybe a giant pirate statue made of wicker as it's a woodie?

theparklifekid
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:56 am

I did some research of the Wicker Man and apparently the statues were reportedly used by the ancient Druids for a sacrifice to the gods by burning people (who were those found guilty of crimes deserving death, as they pleased the gods more, they sometimes used slaves and innocent men when no delinquents could be found) inside these wooden statues. In medieval times people sometimes burnt witches in them, and it was even done in the UK. Pretty grim huh?! :lol

I could see a witch-craft theme being used maybe, I highly doubt the sacrifice element will be used, but maybe the theme could be along the lines of: 'Historians find out that Alton Towers was a site of many witchcraft related hauntings, a few remains of a wickerman like statue were found and resembled, but then something went wrong...' Its something ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:36 am

Its a Donald Trump statue: "Let's make Alton Towers great again.." :P

Glad progress has started on the clearing of the flume.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:04 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI2oS2hoL0k Not entirely SW8 based, but something along the lines of the wicker man, and a decent song as well!

S.J_O'Grady
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:19 pm

I'm still trying to figure out what the world's/UK's first element will be (assuming it will have one). It's certainly very well hidden in the plans.

Maybe it will just be "world's first coaster themed around the burning of live humans to be located between two family areas." Who knows?

tcw1993
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:54 pm

S.J_O'Grady wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out what the world's/UK's first element will be (assuming it will have one). It's certainly very well hidden in the plans.

Maybe it will just be "world's first coaster themed around the burning of live humans to be located between two family areas." Who knows?

I can't see it having a worlds first to be honest. But they must have some pretty incredible theming to hand to be able to market it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i love sub terra. By the looks of it, the only one.

rolicoli8
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:00 pm

S.J_O'Grady wrote:

If those are inversions on the plans, then it'll be the UK's first inverting woodie, which would probably be okay for them.

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:11 am

I'm predicting it will be marketed as Europe's first launched wooden coaster although I hope they won't market it as a launch coaster if there is only very weak acceleration up the lift. Would it be possible for some track segments to change from the submitted plans as happened on The Smiler, in order to accomodate more speed, particularly on that 1st turnaround after the lift hill?

theparklifekid
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:06 am

Something i'm a little worried about is the launch itself. Didn't Lightning Rod at Dollywood have serious problems with its launch, so they closed it for quite a while?
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!

nemefan08
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:16 am

If they are going for a Katanga Canyon ride then maybe it could be some kind of African cult sacrifice