UK theme parks from another point of view!

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SW8 Speculation and General Discussion

Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:56 pm

Aidan Lowe wrote:
For enthusiasts who visit AT regularly of an adult age this is the only big investment since The Smiler back in 2013, so 5 years is a long wait for something really big so anything really is going to be hyped up. Sure TLC has worked some charm across the park but with removals, closures & minor additions (Galactica imo was a huge error but that's my personal opinion) it's been a very tedious agonizing wait. Obviously, there will be some people who enjoy The Smiler (I love the theme, the engineering and overall look as well as the ride duration) but it's still quite a pathetic ride.

Oh and it's wood, that's always good. I for one am simply hoping for a well-themed area & ride.

I think it is pretty obvious to anybody that has seen the layout that SW8 is not going to be a thrill coaster, after the disaster that was Thirteen's marketing and hype in 2009/10 (not for visitor numbers but expectations) any enthusiast over a certain age would be foolish to expect this ride to be anything more than a glorified family coaster.

I know The Smiler is the only real thrill attraction Alton Towers has installed in (arguably) over a decade and along with the criminal removal without replacement of most of the parks flat ride offering the lineup for adrenaline seekers is looking increasingly bland, but the last thing the park needs is another 1.4m coaster. We have five already! I am pretty sure that is more than most major theme parks in Europe?

On the other hand the family offering at Alton is woeful. A 30 year old grotty, poorly themed tamed Rapids, 25 year old powered mine train and transit dark ride in such poor state a regional fairground would be embarrassed and a handful of flats the crowning jewel a prehistoric swinging ship. Hex is the only world class ride at the park that fulfils Alton Towers role to entertain young and old simultaneously.

Therefore in this instance park management have absolutely made the right move with their investment decision - creating a solid family ride with quality theming in the heart of the park. Admittedly it is disappointing that this spells the end of the cross valley woodie and a park staple with the loss of the flume but I think for once they are bang on identifying what the park needs.

Sadly in my opinion the biggest disservice the park is doing is giving this coaster a Secret Weapon tag, because regardless of whatever marketing gimmick they stick on it to sell it to the GP it is clearly designed to be a family woodie - why do they insist on shooting themselves in the face?

PhNx Survivor
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:00 am

Owen wrote:
Getting discussion back to a more simple level, what does everyone think we may see in the pre-lift turn section?

I am hoping for something exciting to really kick the ride off!

I also hope for something to kick the ride off.. but judging by the speed on NL2 videos (I know it's not a good reference but it's the best so far) through that section, if anything I think it will just be well themed.

I cannot imagine them leaving it solid concrete in there, but then I also don't expect anything big, maybe flashing lights, a burning tunnel effect on screens or projectors maybe.. if anything I would like to think something like Valhalla when you enter the section with fire before the Backwards part, something like that with a bit more themeing would be great.
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”

Phild94
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:17 am

Just wondering what someone else might think of this...

After watching the NL2 mock-ups of this ride it seems a little tame/slow in places, so could AT have designed a ‘worlds fastest chain lift’, would classify as world-beating but wouldn’t interest the public largely

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:34 am

Phild94 wrote:

After watching the NL2 mock-ups of this ride it seems a little tame/slow in places, so could AT have designed a ‘worlds fastest chain lift’, would classify as world-beating but wouldn’t interest the public largely

They would really be scraping the barrel for USP's if they went with that.

However, they won't.

Justin
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:41 am

They will just stick with the World Class Experience' tag line. No firsts, no gimmicks, just quality!

Rita88
TT Member
TT Member

Cipher text on website

Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:53 am

On the sw8 page there is a cipher above the "be chosen" button, if the supposed trademarked name for it is correct "wicker man" then i think if nobody ekse has already done it, cracked the cipher?
I think it says

"FEED THE FLAMES"

which would fit in with the name and logo.......

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:41 pm

Indeed, “FEED THE FLAMES” seems to be becoming the tagline of the ride in similar vein to how “SMILE.ALWAYS.” and “DERAIL YOUR MIND” did with The Smiler and Ghost Train!

Phild94
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:07 pm

Dan wrote:
Phild94 wrote:

They would really be scraping the barrel for USP's if they went with that.

However, they won't.

I don’t disagree that they would be scraping the barrel, but I think that could explain ‘world-beating’ to enthusiasts without the public being particularly interesting

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:46 pm

Phild94 wrote:
I don’t disagree that they would be scraping the barrel, but I think that could explain ‘world-beating’ to enthusiasts without the public being particularly interesting

I understand your point but at no point during the construction period and marketing campaign for SW8 have they so much as mentioned "Worlds First" or "World Beating".

The phrase they've used is "World Class Experience" which leads me to believe there won't be a "secret" element or gimmick on SW8. What we're going to get is a solid, well themed, family wooden coaster which is exactly what the park needs.

The Smiler in itself didn't have a secret element as such, they only bolted on the "World Beating" tagline to hype up the fact it was going to break the world record for inversions.

"New for 2018: The Worlds Fastest Chain Lift Coaster" would make Alton a laughing stock.

Phild94
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:52 pm

Couldn’t agree more, which is why if they had done this, it wouldn’t be pushed to Joe Bloggs.

I’m sure they’ve used the the term world beating, ground breaking (or similar).

I love the look of this coaster and think it will be an excellent new ride in the park, especially with the theming put in so far. I hope there’s no gimmick, but I think I nice fast lift hill wouldn’t be a bad thing!

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:22 pm

To be fair in the most recent SW8 video they used the term 'Globally Unique'. Which is basically 'worlds first' but phrased differently.
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 1901!
Ride count 2020: 128!
Cred count: 96!

Justin
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:51 pm

Owen wrote:
Indeed, “FEED THE FLAMES” seems to be becoming the tagline of the ride in similar vein to how “SMILE.ALWAYS.” and “DERAIL YOUR MIND” did with The Smiler and Ghost Train!

Be Chosen?

Yes, it is associated with the Welcoming too, but certainly, a tagline being used!

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:54 pm

Justin wrote:
Owen wrote:

Be Chosen?

Yes, it is associated with the Welcoming too, but certainly, a tagline being used!

Well that too, but I was talking about the post I quoted which mentioned the “FEED THE FLAMS” line. They often have a couple strap lines I’ve noticed - “GET CORRECTED” and “MIND THE GAP” springs to mind too.
Last edited by Owen on Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jackf1tz
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:56 pm

Somehow I think Merlin are saying Globally Unique because it will lead people to think there's a world first, while there isn't. It gives them a bit of wiggle room during the marketing.

Phild94
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:41 pm

jackf1tz wrote:
Somehow I think Merlin are saying Globally Unique because it will lead people to think there's a world first, while there isn't. It gives them a bit of wiggle room during the marketing.

I’m not sure whether the Advertising Standards Authority would agree...

Globally unique still means a unique experience...

But who am I to question!

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:49 pm

Phild94 wrote:
jackf1tz wrote:

I’m not sure whether the Advertising Standards Authority would agree...

Globally unique still means a unique experience...

But who am I to question!

But literally any coaster that isn't a direct clone is "unique" in that you can't experience that exact ride anywhere else in the world, so using "globally unique" as a marketing slogan without having any unique or world's first/beating element is completely legitimate. "World's first" is a different promise entirely, as you're promising something that's revolutionary and that has never been seen in any form before; something that will go down in the history books as "first coaster to do/have/be x". In any case, the Wickerman theme and overall experience could certainly be considered a very unique choice regardless of semantics.

That's how I interpret it all, anyway. :)
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.

jackf1tz
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:35 pm

The "world's first normal wooden rollercoaster built at Alton Towers Resort" anybody? ;)

8byfire
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:46 am

Adz wrote:
8byfire,

Whilst your enthusiasm is commendable, I do think you're looking into things a little too much. 

Not everything in The Welcoming is directly tied to the theme of SW8. Eg. The elements references were added by the Scarefest creatives rather than being an SW8 link. 

Sorry :) , the puzzler/coaster/creative-arty-type geek in me can't help it (plus it's the effect of many years experience of new things being launched pondering what exactly that new ride's going to be!)

A little bit of smugness being right about something or the amusement of being (perhaps very) wrong is all part of the fun. Plus they should theme it like the scare maze as that would be awesome, they could really raise their game on that, and they might, we shall see!

Welcoming the wicker man, awaken
Beornen, burning, be chosen

KrakenKray
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:39 am

Adz wrote:
KrakenKray wrote:
With all the hints to Earth, Wind and Fire in the mazes maybe they are hinting at a September opening? 

No. It's opening at the start of next season. :)

Yeah I was only joking, was just referring to the song!

Rita88
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:36 am

Has anyone figured out what the text says above the "be chosen" button?

Following the fire theme and the name that alton towers have had trademarked with the logo i think i may have cracked the cipher....