UK theme parks from another point of view!

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Re: SW8 Speculation and General Discussion

Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:32 pm

I have a feeling that all the words are just random words that can be associated with the theme of the coaster. I don't think they have any other link other than that. 

PhNx Survivor
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:49 pm

Not gonna lie.. this one is weird.. is it even a clue?
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”

JC13
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:39 pm

PhNx Survivor wrote:

Yes, Alton have called it Challenge 4,and the video on youtube says you need to go on snapchat to find the answer, this was strange though. Didn’t Thorpe Park give clues like this about Derren Brown’s ghost train? I might be remembering wrong, but that is what i remember

DeadJack5
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:46 pm

JC13 wrote:
PhNx Survivor wrote:

Yes, Alton have called it Challenge 4,and the video on youtube says you need to go on snapchat to find the answer, this was strange though. Didn’t Thorpe Park give clues like this about Derren Brown’s ghost train? I might be remembering wrong, but that is what i remember

If i remember correctly, Thorpe gave hints to check the website out at a certain time which would reveal a clue if you looked close enough. The clues used for Derren Brown's Ghost Train were a lot more cryptic than the hints Alton Towers are using for SW8 with the runes and clearly stating where and what to look for.
I'm the boy with the bubbles

Justin
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:03 am

Wouldn't it be good if the track/train acted as a fuse to the first interaction with the theming structure and then from that point the structure appeared to be on fire?!?

I could see that working with a good back story!

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:20 am

Justin wrote:
Wouldn't it be good if the track/train acted as a fuse to the first interaction with the theming structure and then from that point the structure appeared to be on fire?!?

I could see that working with a good back story!

Sounds like a decent idea. I could see it working but in this instance I don’t think fusing is being used in the sense you’re thinking, I think it’s more like two elements coming together and fusing to create something? As for what I’m not sure..

Justin
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:25 am

Possibly, but the trouble with my theory is that it is very much based on the Gunpowder Plot. I do think the combination of elements is more plausible. Whatever it is, I'm really excited!

DeadJack5
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:10 am

Could fusing, like Dan said, be used to represent our world fusing with their world? Like The Welcoming's brief description, that our world was joining theirs for the first time? As well as this, during the YouTube videos explaining the previous secret weapons, objects in the video would change style. Could this be showing us that our world is fusing with theirs and coming together as one? Again, the many theories and ideas behind this ride is definitely building up to give us a great ride with a good theme behind it.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:02 pm

Fusing of old and new came to mind when I first heard the word. Wooden being the old and the tech associated with a coaster being the new

Bert
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:24 pm

I just calculated the ride Height from highest point to lowest point of the ride by the way, On the ITV news report it said the 'theming structure' (The Wicker Man) is 6 stories high, Which is 18m. 

From the photo below we know the top of the ride is 4m taller than the 'theming structure'. 

18 + 4 = 22m (72ft)

However this is not the height from the ground up nor is it the height of the first drop, It is the height of the top of the ride to the bottom of the support structure. 

Comparing the height compared to other rides, Th13teen is 18m (59ft) and Galactica is 20m (66ft) making SW8 taller than both of them.
[Insert Signature Here]

Formerly Bert2theSpark

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:53 pm

Indeed. It was worked out awhile back :)

If I remember correctly, the overall height is 72ft (as you say), and the first major drop is only 46ft - although the way this is designed doesn’t seem to focus on the initial drop so I wouldn’t worry about its height. :)

Phild94
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:16 am

Dom wrote:
Fusing of old and new came to mind when I first heard the word. Wooden being the old and the tech associated with a coaster being the new

This is what I said back in August R.E. This ancient tribe converting the new rollercoaster to fit into their world....

Phild94 wrote:
I'm sure the point has already been made but I think it could be something to do with reverting back.

Wooden Mug
Analogue Clock
'Air Entrance' Runes

I'm just wondering if they could go along the conversion theme...

Alton was building a new ride, dark forces (The Wickerman) took it over and converted it from a futuristic ride to one held in the past.

Scare maze would make a nice tie in (for you Dr who fans think cyber men in reverse, you will be downgraded)

It seems that a lot of similarities are appearing;
Converting from Modern to Ancient tech (second official SW8 video) Mugs, runes, clock etc
“Fusing” as one of the key words
“Fearful of technology” - did they create their own or combine ancient techniques with the modern world?

DeadJack5
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:32 pm

As reported on TowersStreet's Facebook page, There has now been a wall in front of SW8 to prevent guests from seeing what's happening to the ride.

That's certainly one way to prevent guests from watching the ride's progress :lol

Ladyofthelake
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:40 pm

That seems a rather drastic step to hide the ride. It does make me wonder just what it is they will be wanting to hide as the track is complete, and the theming structure was in place. Perhaps they're being extra cautious and making sure no one can see the trains if they happen to be on the track and doing test runs?

Justin
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:42 pm

This a good move by Alton as it keeps the secret. My excitement is building with every update - even if it is a wall! :lol

DeadJack5
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:47 pm

Justin wrote:
This a good move by Alton as it keeps the secret. My excitement is building with every update - even if it is a wall! :lol

We are getting themed walls now :sus:
Whatever is behind that wall, It must be something promising.

Justin
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:54 pm

As already suggested, if testing then this will hide how the coaster runs and the trains themselves. Also, the station is very close to SeaLife, therefore it will hide what is going on around that area too!

In all seriousness, I'm impressed by that wall :lol

T0mPr1ce
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:48 am

They could be starting on the entrance plaza as seen on the plans. The area including where the Mexican Cantina, flume entrance and flume exits were?

Phild94
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:16 am

T0mPr1ce wrote:
They could be starting on the entrance plaza as seen on the plans. The area including where the Mexican Cantina, flume entrance and flume exits were?

That’s a great shout actually, if they’re working on additional theming structures e.g entrance archway then they would definitely want this a secret until they decide to reveal it.

Zach
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:39 am

I think it’s a great idea, it means everyone will have equal opportunity to see the full product in March upon opening, although it’s been nice to watch the coaster been built, I think anything now may potentially ruin the end product. Nothing like a good bit of secrecy to keep the hype building and anticipation growing, much like it did for Oblivion back in 1998 when enthusiasts were kept in the dark. 

Also don’t forget they have much still to do, or least we don’t know when the sound tunnels are or have been added, so we’ve not seen them yet, but if testing has begun I’d like to think testing would be with these in place to get full results. So don’t think of it as a bad thing, I for one actually love that wall, it fits the theme and looks rather intimidating.