UK theme parks from another point of view!

Wagstaff04
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Wicker Man General Discussion

Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:34 am

That’s bad news because the entire ride is based on the effects... I don’t think Merlin should’ve gone for that worlds first. 

Adam W
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:52 am

If anything I'm hoping that an effects-based 'world's first' will give them an obligation to keep them going for at least a little longer than most Merlin effects.

demz_4
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:04 pm

Its all gone a bit quiet, I'm looking forward to something exciting to be released, some footage of the effects test or actual trains running the circuit. come onnnnnnnnnn towers! seems strange that they aren't going crazy on the marketing yet. were only 8 weeks off opening

DeadJack5
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:50 pm

Their main advertising will come a month before the opening I think. We have had their press from the name reveal and in the coming weeks we will have the main chunk of promotion. It will be a few weeks prior to the opening where news teams will experience the ride promoting the opening.
I'm the boy with the bubbles

PhNx Survivor
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:18 pm

I do reckon mid February we will have an advert of some kind, maybe a teaser for an advert, since the Half Term period will give plenty of opportunity to gaze at the ride (if accessible).. if not then definitely March.. just gotta wait and cross our fingers and toes in the meantime
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”

Tom170499
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:32 pm

Also, marketing for the Resort as a whole has been scarce since they revealed the operations changes. Now that they have backtracked, I expect they will resume Wicker Man advertising.

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:48 pm

Apparently Alton Towers have been forced to remove their claim that Wicker Man is the world's first rollercoaster fusing wood and fire by the Advertising Standards Agency.

Quite right too! It was an enthusiast who first took this up with the ASA, now they seem to have agreed and given Alton a good old telling off :P
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:16 pm

Whoever reported that has too much time on their hands. Until we see the effects for ourselves we can't say if the statement is true or false. Look at Alton's wording of "Worlds first coaster to fuse wood and fire". Take note of the word 'fuse'. Ask google to define 'fuse' and it will tell you that it is to "join or blend to form a single entity".

If the effects really are as good as we hope we will be flying past a big 'burning' statue next to some wooden track, and if they really go all out the track could appear to be 'burning' and if that is the case then I think their wording of 'fusing wood and fire' would be spot on! We really can't judge this worlds first until we see what they have planned for us.
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 1770!
Ride count 2019: 618!
Cred count: 88!

8byfire
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:44 pm

mackinal wrote:
Maybe like the Adventure Drive coaster in Japan (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuCQ8dnbVzA&t=143s), feed the flames means the louder you scream the larger the flame effect?

Not with the neighbours Alton have, maybe the quieter you are... :-$

"Apparently Alton Towers have been forced to remove their claim that Wicker Man is the world's first rollercoaster fusing wood and fire by the Advertising Standards Agency. " (MakoMania)

They've not removed it everywhere, not sure how marketing managed this oversight, even if the fire is 'different' it's still on dodgy ground legally as a claim- enough that I'd have thought they'd see this coming. Is it mentioned in the videos including the one they removed? Alton may have to do some frantic re-editing.

But still an awesome coaster! The world's first coaster fusing a flaming wicker man and wood situated at Alton Towers.

Welcoming the wicker man, awaken
Beornen, burning, be chosen

DeadJack5
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:28 pm

So I was on site today for some various reasons.

Whilst I was there, i was able to record this. Listen carefully

I'm the boy with the bubbles

TheBeornen
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:59 pm

Yep that sounds like it's running alright.
Reassess your modern lives and ignite your senses.

The Wicker Man comes for us all.

Be Chosen...

RobHand
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:24 pm

DeadJack5 wrote:
So I was on site today for some various reasons.

Whilst I was there, i was able to record this. Listen carefully

*ooo's and aaaahhhh's*
Nice clip Jack!

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:13 am

Liam.W wrote:
Whoever reported that has too much time on their hands.

Enthusiasts are enthusiasts at the end of the day, to some people it may bother them. For The Smiler the world's first tag was warranted as it is a stated fact it has the most inversions in the world but with Wickerman & before that Galactica tagging it a first, but more importantly how they word the world first bothers me. Despite VR coasters before it slapping the 'dedicated vr' onto it is just pathetic imo.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc

monkeynips
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:36 pm

Here is a link of it testing today courtesy of attraction images.

Follow them on all social media for great footage of wicker man.

https://youtu.be/fOEuEMZOViQ

Distantsic
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:42 pm

So slow.

TheBeornen
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:45 pm

It's slow most likely due to weather, roughly half capacity and how it stops at the top before descending which definitely affected its speed.
Reassess your modern lives and ignite your senses.

The Wicker Man comes for us all.

Be Chosen...

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:51 pm

The recent testing video is currently being discussed in Wicker Man - Construction Discussion. Best we keep all discussion in the one place so no one gets confused :)

rolicoli8
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:54 am

I really really hope they do some sort of opening ceremony for Wicker Man instead of just opening it like any other day like they do for almost all other rides Merlin have ever opened. This is a £16 million new ride which is meant to kick the park back to normal, it should be made a huge deal of. They've made such a hype about it already, it would be ridiculous to just open the ride at 9:30 like it's been there 10 years already. Disney had a huge party style show for the opening of Splash Mountain, a log flume. I don't expect Merlin to give ents any budget to do anything like that because they clearly don't care enough about what guests think, but even just having a temporary stage put up in the ride's plaza and having the Beornen doing a dance to summon whatever it is, and having the statue burst into flames for the first time with the first train going around the circuit in front of everyone, it would create so much excitement and give the ride the opening it deserves. To miss out on an opportunity like this would be disgusting for such an important occasion. The event would be such a media frenzy and I'm sure the park could manage to get it on live TV.
They did one for the opening of Furchester and Go Jetters last year with a lot of characters involved so I really hope they don't disappoint this time (which I'm sure Merlin would never do...)

Loakin
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:21 pm

Alton Towers have released this teaser video again, which was the same as the one from a couple weeks ago, but was pulled. It seems it is now officially released. Nothing new in it to talk about though :( 

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:25 pm

It seems the only difference from the one that was released prematurely is the short POV clip has been removed.

We can’t be too far away from an opening date being revealed now, I’ll be very surprised if it doesn’t open on March 17th.