UK theme parks from another point of view!

 
iamradam
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 67
Joined: January 2016
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, Oxfordland, United Oxdom, Oxfordonia, Planet Ox

Re: SW8

Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:25 pm

I'm sure as heck hoping that this has something special to it if it's a woodie. We've waited sooooo long for a woodie at a Merlin park, so to have one which (from the plans) looks so lacklustre is very alarming. I'll be keeping my eyes on the development in hopes that they actually have a plan to make it worthy of being in the Secret Weapon line-up.
 
xylyx
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 427
Joined: February 2013
Location: Chesterfield

Re: SW8

Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:17 pm

Again I'm not sure what solid facts can be gleaned from the screening application other than it's 'so'wide, 'so' high, will interact with themeing etc and the lift hill is peculiar.

Can't wait to see the actual plans, I doubt they'll give much away but I suspect there'll be more to pick over when they appear.

It's a nice chunk of track for the brake run though, maybe anticipating a bit of speed, even when approaching the station.

I'd love a bit of Ultimate style ground hugging, even briefly, you feel so out of control going at pace when close to the ground, it's awesome.
 
mikecloud
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 8
Joined: April 2016

Re: SW8

Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:51 pm

Long time reader, first time poster.

Does anyone think the use of the wording "Ground Breaking" is literal? As in, they will literally break ground to install the ride.

Some would say Nemesis was "Ground Breaking" due to the crater that was made - could this be the same?

My guess is that these plans are literally for environmental purposes - i.e. which tress remain etc.

I believe the plans for the actual ride will be different, will go above and under ground, and we already know there will be tunnels.

All in all, very happy if it turns out to be a modern Woodie - exactly what the UK market has been missing.
 
rbsmith18
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 14
Joined: March 2016

Re: SW8

Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:31 pm

mikecloud wrote:
Long time reader, first time poster.

Does anyone think the use of the wording "Ground Breaking" is literal? As in, they will literally break ground to install the ride.

Some would say Nemesis was "Ground Breaking" due to the crater that was made - could this be the same?

My guess is that these plans are literally for environmental purposes - i.e. which tress remain etc.

I believe the plans for the actual ride will be different, will go above and under ground, and we already know there will be tunnels.

All in all, very happy if it turns out to be a modern Woodie - exactly what the UK market has been missing.


I was just having a similar thought...'ground breaking' because a large portion of track will be placed underground in the tunnels mentioned in the plans?
- Perhaps the length, drops and air time will be achieved by digging down (ala Nemesis), but to steer clear of the old Flume layout as it would interfere with the root systems in place.
Mr. Smith
 
mikecloud
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 8
Joined: April 2016

Re: SW8

Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:43 pm

Does anyone know if the lake is artificial/man made?

Could this offer an opportunity to build lower?
 
Arwen
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 22
Joined: February 2016

Re: SW8

Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:19 pm

I think the whole 'ground breaking' thing isn't literal as they have to still keep the ground placings of the flume so they don't cause harm to the surrounding trees.

I'm quite excited for this, as I am for any new ride or attraction as it's something new to try! I think, looking at the plans it has a possibility to be a family ride. I do think they need a ride aimed at children who are too old for CBeebies but too small for the big rides, also with The flume gone, there isn't much they can go on. It's really a market they are potentially missing out on, yes there is Th13teeen, but there is only so many times you can do on it before getting bored!

Also I really hope it's a woodie!! :D
 
Adam.W
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 680
Joined: October 2014

Re: SW8

Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:43 pm

mikecloud wrote:
Does anyone know if the lake is artificial/man made?

Could this offer an opportunity to build lower?

It's artificial I believe, it's only around 3-4 ft deep and is flat.
 
118hazaman
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 107
Joined: March 2013
Contact:

Re: SW8

Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:42 pm

Could we see a Th13teen - Smiler situation happen with SW8 and SW9? Meaning that SW8 is a thrilling family attraction that has a somewhat large budget, similar to Th13teen. While SW9, which debuts three years later, has the maximum budget and is targeted to thrill seekers, similar to the Smiler.
Image
 
Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1203
Joined: August 2014

Re: SW8

Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:47 pm

family woodie and a pure thrill hybrid and then I'm well and truly happy with Altons coaster line up.. Maybe a wing coaster for good measure! :P
 
User avatar
Javs
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 716
Joined: April 2004
Location: Southern UK

Re: SW8

Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:15 am

Yeah tunnel(s) have been mentioned in the plans so it will definitely be going underground more than once!!
 
User avatar
MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1619
Joined: February 2015
Location: Who knows?

Re: SW8

Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:17 am

Javs wrote:
Yeah tunnel(s) have been mentioned in the plans so it will definitely be going underground more than once!!


Not necessarily, they could purely be for sound reduction like is seen on many other wooden rollercoasters.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
 
Horras64
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 270
Joined: January 2016
Location: UK - Kent

Re: SW8

Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:19 am

I think I remember that was one of the reasons they never got permission for a Cross Valley coaster. If I remember correctly.
Image
 
daboywunda
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 255
Joined: March 2004
Location: Gloucester
Contact:

Re: SW8

Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:04 pm

Early guess at this....

A Mack or Intamin lite.. Like Helix, or Firechaser Express.

Neither of those require massive heights to be thrilling and can hug landscape perfectly..
 
User avatar
owenrita121
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 135
Joined: March 2012
Location: Wirral

Re: SW8

Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:23 pm

daboywunda wrote:
Early guess at this....

A Mack or Intamin lite.. Like Helix, or Firechaser Express.

Neither of those require massive heights to be thrilling and can hug landscape perfectly..

Very unlikely as Pleasure Beach is getting a Mack mega for 2018 and Fire Chaser Express is Gerst not Intamin...
RITA
Nothing will stop her speed.
 
Evilamnesiac
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 2
Joined: July 2013
Location: Leeds

Re: SW8

Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:16 pm

A few seem disappointed with the rough specs we have for SW8 so far, so here is my two penneth. I never understood the lust for wooden coasters, why so many on here craved one so badly, I had ridden them at Blackpool and they were pretty rubbish to be fair. Then I went on a modern one.

Now I'm not sure if its been suggested on here before but the length accorded to an earlier post it is around 800m, the height difference around 70ft, this puts if in very similar territory to Joris En De Draak at Efterling, which is one of the best rides I've ever been on, by far the fastest feeling (although RCDB says its only 46.6mph), the sheer intensity of it rivals Nemesis, from the top of the lift hill its relentless. The fact SW8 is short and not too high, and the plans we have seen leave wiggle room for twists and turns where is currently looks straight is making me want a GCI over an RMC.

Its not very high, its not especially long, its not really very fast, and the POV makes you wonder why you would ever bother to go on it, but it is spectacular, loads of airtime too.

P.s. If you ever go to Amsterdam, visit Efterling, they do theming really really flumping well.
 
JonDoesTT
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 315
Joined: September 2014
Location: Staffordshire

Re: SW8

Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:22 pm

I can't wait to see what it actually is, I'm hoping for a GCI/RMC wooden coaster, like almost everyone else probably. Also, I'm not sure how I'd feel about the ride being pirate themed, which the current signage suggests (I know this might have nothing to do with it). It seems like a very generic theme which Alton Towers don't tend to do with the SW coasters, for example the themes for nemesis, oblivion, th13teen, air, were all pretty original ideas when the rides opened. I hope they don't just theme it to something as generic as Pirates for some reason. If they could do something related to Pirates that depends on how family friendly they want to make the ride, I think it would be much better.
Image

Credit to NemesisRider
 
User avatar
Tom
Team Admin
Team Admin
Posts: 978
Joined: January 2006
Location: Stoke-on-Trent
Contact:

Re: SW8

Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:42 am

Evilamnesiac wrote:
A few seem disappointed with the rough specs we have for SW8 so far, so here is my two penneth. I never understood the lust for wooden coasters, why so many on here craved one so badly, I had ridden them at Blackpool and they were pretty rubbish to be fair. Then I went on a modern one.

Now I'm not sure if its been suggested on here before but the length accorded to an earlier post it is around 800m, the height difference around 70ft, this puts if in very similar territory to Joris En De Draak at Efterling, which is one of the best rides I've ever been on, by far the fastest feeling (although RCDB says its only 46.6mph), the sheer intensity of it rivals Nemesis, from the top of the lift hill its relentless. The fact SW8 is short and not too high, and the plans we have seen leave wiggle room for twists and turns where is currently looks straight is making me want a GCI over an RMC.

Its not very high, its not especially long, its not really very fast, and the POV makes you wonder why you would ever bother to go on it, but it is spectacular, loads of airtime too.

P.s. If you ever go to Amsterdam, visit Efterling, they do theming really really flumping well.


If it's anything like Joris then I will be very, very happy. One of the best wooden coasters I've ridden.
Image
Image
 
User avatar
scruffy_
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 341
Joined: June 2006
Location: North Wales

Re: SW8

Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:09 am

Ground breaking as in the ride will go underground
 
Dannyski
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 57
Joined: November 2012
Location: Hull

Re: SW8

Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:39 am

I wonder if the lines on the plans are to scale - if they are then the track area is quite wide (compared to existing structures that we know the size of). My money, which i'll probably lose, is on a slow, ground hugging, 1.2m height limit B&M 4D prototype themed to pirates.
 
simononestop
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 197
Joined: June 2009
Location: Hastings

Re: SW8

Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:28 am

I must admit I was at first a little disappointed with the layout when I first saw it.
But yeah with woodies its all about the open cars and air time. which I guess can be achieved well without going too high.
the feeling of going fast can be achieved with a more open cart.

or those plans could be to put everyone off the trail?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 102 guests