UK theme parks from another point of view!

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Re: SW8?

Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:29 am

Just putting this out there. B&M have said they now have the technology ready to do a LIM launch. Seeing as SW8 is strongly rumoured to be a B&M, and lets face it, a hyper coaster isn't really practical with the height restrictions, could we be seeing a B&M launched coaster, and perhaps even the first one?

Obviously, I'm aware that the park has Rita, but I think this would have the potential to be a completely different experience, as it could incorporate the air time hills of a Hyper, whilst also including a few inversions to set it apart from Rita.

ollboll9
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:07 pm

lewis97 wrote:
Just putting this out there. B&M have said they now have the technology ready to do a LIM launch. Seeing as SW8 is strongly rumoured to be a B&M, and lets face it, a hyper coaster isn't really practical with the height restrictions, could we be seeing a B&M launched coaster, and perhaps even the first one?

Obviously, I'm aware that the park has Rita, but I think this would have the potential to be a completely different experience, as it could incorporate the air time hills of a Hyper, whilst also including a few inversions to set it apart from Rita.

I totally agree, I mean Cedar Point has Maverick and Top Thrill Dragster, both Intamin launch rides. There's no reason why Alton can't have two launch coasters.
Poop. Always

Liam-AltonTowers
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:33 pm

Plus instead of having just one launch at the beginning it could have multiple smaller launches such as FIORANO GT CHALLENGE at Ferrari World and it could be on the site of The Flume themed around water/pirates to fit in with Mutiny Bay? Ideas?

Credit to Lewis97, thanks for the amazing signature!

riley_h96
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:19 pm

With a B&M Hyper, they could dig underground, like they have done with Nemesis, Air and Oblivion.  :yes:

Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous

Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:06 am

ollboll9 wrote:
lewis97 wrote:

I totally agree, I mean Cedar Point has Maverick and Top Thrill Dragster, both Intamin launch rides. There's no reason why Alton can't have two launch coasters.

The only way the British public would buy a second launch coaster at Alton Towers would be if it was well themed, and a completely new experience.  So much so, that the launch would have to be a hidden element, and something that entirely surprises its riders. 

It seems that with all the technology, new experience and coaster types, why on earth would they go for a second launch? It's all a bit old hat in my opinion.

RCandrew
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:03 am

Lee James wrote:
ollboll9 wrote:
lewis97 wrote:

The only way the British public would buy a second launch coaster at Alton Towers would be if it was well themed, and a completely new experience.  So much so, that the launch would have to be a hidden element, and something that entirely surprises its riders. 

It seems that with all the technology, new experience and coaster types, why on earth would they go for a second launch? It's all a bit old hat in my opinion.

As long as the launch wasn't a main feature, and it rolled out the station then launched through a tunnel at a slower speed for longer, then had a few other launches to keep it going, I think it could work as it wouldn't take away from Rita's speciality!

Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous

Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:34 pm

RCandrew wrote:
As long as the launch wasn't a main feature, and it rolled out the station then launched through a tunnel at a slower speed for longer, then had a few other launches to keep it going, I think it could work as it wouldn't take away from Rita's speciality!

I'd imagine several launches would be pretty power hungry on the national grid and not really financially viable for Merlin.

arsenalfan-1
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:01 pm

riley_h96 wrote:
With a B&M Hyper, they could dig underground, like they have done with Nemesis, Air and Oblivion.  :yes:

Don't you think that for it to be worth it, you would have to dig a long way. On top of that the keys parts to a hyper is airtime and height and digging down will eliminate all that height and I don't think it would be a worthwhile investment.
To be honest, I would love a hyper at Alton but it just can't happen.
Thanks Lewis97

youarecorrectsir
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:44 pm

Here's my evaluation:

I can see them building a roller coaster behind Air simply because there is space. It would be so weird though as you'd have to practically walk through Air just to get to it! It would certainly make forbidden valley seem very stretched! I've always wondered how the theming for Air fits into FV anyway...

However, with the planned new entrance to the park it would help with dispersing crowds.

Coaster corner I think would cost too much to completely renovate. It is also a storage area which they would be unwilling to give up.

The flume site is certainly an option, but I don't see them fitting a roller coaster there! The sheer amount of trees they would have to remove in the limited space would certainly be a problem, plus they would be losing a family favourite ride.

I'm still dying for the cross valley woodie!! I know they've sort of dismissed it because it's not what the public wants but with the height restriction, it's their only chance at a real fast, big dipper sort of ride. With the big variation of roller coasters already at the park, a fast, deep roller coaster is definitely what they are missing.

This next idea is very 'out there', but what do you all think...

If they do indeed change the entrance to the park to be in-between the gloomy wood and FV, could a ride possibly be placed behind towers street where the current entrance is? Hmmm...
"Everybody dies, but not everybody lives"

Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous

Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:17 am

I can see them building a roller coaster behind Air simply because there is space. It would be so weird though as you'd have to practically walk through Air just to get to it! It would certainly make forbidden valley seem very stretched! I've always wondered how the theming for Air fits into FV anyway...

There's a staff/service path to the left of air. They could create that as a walkway towards SW8 if they used that space. With clever themeing, they could make FV look massive, as apposed to stretched.

If they do indeed change the entrance to the park to be in-between the gloomy wood and FV, could a ride possibly be placed behind towers street where the current entrance is? Hmmm...

The new entrance is still RUMOUR. But if they did change its location, I can't image them building in that area. It's too close to the main road, the main entrance and the security lodge. Noise would sadly be the main issue with a ride there I think, and the tree line is pretty low ;)

JayJay90
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:10 pm

Did anyone see this? I dont know if it has been discussed elsewhere but John talks about a previous idea of a stand up B&M over Katanga Canyon...it seems that anywhere is possible for location and personally I would have loved to have seen that happen lol even if it was planning just to see what it could have looked like :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... xGTdRBh5CU

sw7nutter
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:33 pm

JayJay90 wrote:
Did anyone see this? I dont know if it has been discussed elsewhere but John talks about a previous idea of a stand up B&M over Katanga Canyon...it seems that anywhere is possible for location and personally I would have loved to have seen that happen lol even if it was planning just to see what it could have looked like :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... xGTdRBh5CU

In johns auto-biography he does say that they did consider sw7 as a stand up but there not as good as people think and that negitive reviews made them steer clear of the idea.
In just 1 day I managed: 75 rides on stealth, 8 swarms, the dodgems and a tea cups. February half term was good.

Henry
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:05 pm

I really hope not a stand up, as they are really not that good and I find them quite painful. I would rather have a floorless or sitdown because stand ups are really not good.
Credit to Lewis97 for the signature!

riley_h96
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:15 pm

arsenalfan-1 wrote:
riley_h96 wrote:

Don't you think that for it to be worth it, you would have to dig a long way. On top of that the keys parts to a hyper is airtime and height and digging down will eliminate all that height and I don't think it would be a worthwhile investment.
To be honest, I would love a hyper at Alton but it just can't happen.

You would still have the feeling of the height and the air time... as you would fall a long way... 

Gorrock
TT Member
TT Member

SW8 Ideas

Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:44 pm

Hi guys! I have heard some rumors for SW8, but what are your thoughts? I think that it's going to be a B&M. Maybe in the car park behind air? I have a few ideas for a world first, one of them being the world's first 'hybrid' coaster, meaning it has ride and coaster elements to it. One thing, though, would they be able to fit in a coaster in the car park? Probably not, well, not without, (God forbid), removing NEMESIS or a LOT of trees. I can't really think of any other place for a coaster, except maybe removing the trees sort of behind TH13TEEN and air. Anyway, what are your thoughts on this? Can you think of any place where Alton could put SW8? Or, even if there will BE an SW8, I can see Forbidden Valley maybe getting a new flat ride in 2014. And, what do you think Alton could do for a world's first next?
Thanks -
Gorr :)
''To many, no doubt, he will seem somewhat blatant and bumptious, but we prefer to regard him as being simply British'' - Oscar Wilde

mattiepearce
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SW8 Ideas

Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:48 pm

Personally I think they're going to put it where the flume currently is. There is a lot of space there so it is pretty much perfect.
Previously known as Coastermadpearce.

Hari
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SW8 Ideas

Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:52 pm

Well, this is a hard one as there are many options on where to put SW8;
-Behind Air
-Flume Site
-Ripsaw and Blade site?

I think SW8 should be a hybrid wooden/steel coaster like 'New Texas Giant' or a B&M with a world record,
Thats my opinion :)
NR

tcw1993
TT Member
TT Member

SW8 (all topics merged)

Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:17 am

I personally think that because air is a SW it won't go behind there, besides there are two large coasters in that's area where as other parts of the park are a bit empty such as mutiny bay. I really can't see them putting it behind air.
i love sub terra. By the looks of it, the only one.

Liam-AltonTowers
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SW8 (all topics merged)

Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:25 pm

What about if they get rid of The Runaway Mine Train, remove The Flume, place a new family coaster over the lake The Flume was on and put SW8 in Katanga Canyon?

Credit to Lewis97, thanks for the amazing signature!

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Re: SW8 (all topics merged)

Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:28 am

tcw1993 wrote:
I personally think that because air is a SW it won't go behind there, besides there are two large coasters in that's area where as other parts of the park are a bit empty such as mutiny bay. I really can't see them putting it behind air.

Well if it goes behind Air, they could create a new area which would also include Air, as it's always been clear that Air doesn't fit to the theme of Forbidden Valley