UK theme parks from another point of view!

jackf1tz
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SW8 Speculation and General Discussion

Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:17 pm

I doubt it won't be opening. The Welcoming may well stay to help people ease into the theme of SW8, similar to the Sanctuary, but the smokehouse will probably still be happening, later into this season, or at the beginning of next. As others have already said, it would be a missed opportunity, as a Smokehouse would have been a popular location to eat.

Justin
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:38 pm

If the Smokehouse has been postponed, I agree with jackf1tz that The Welcoming will return when SW8 launches, although as an upcharge attraction. It will be interesting to see if we have an update regarding this on Monday, but it is interesting that the maze is still up, especially 2 months on!

8byfire
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:21 am

Until we get to feast our eyes on the reveal video(s) I wonder if there will be any Wardley wooden wonder as he's consulting on the ride (and was of course involved in many a great ride's development including Nemesis and Megafobia), he likes to have rides surprise such as Nemesis' unexpected final plot twist but he's also good at suggesting how to get the most out of a ride. SW8 looks to have some great quite extreme looking banking and headchopper moments and already looks awesome- does it have something up its sleeve too though?

How much Wardley will we see in this woodie?

GCI also say on their website:

"We also enjoy adding unique elements to our rides, such as our popular station fly-throughs and station fly-bys"

Hmm, could we see some twist on this?

Gives me an idea that would be fun to play with in coaster sim games- you enter the station forwards then leave it backwards for a second circuit, that crossed my mind for SW8 but then I quickly ruled it out as too fanciful, but then after Th13teen who knows, still think we might get something unexpected- its path through the station is intriguing and quite curvy. Is there a surprise in there other than the theming/effects?

Welcoming the wicker man, awaken
Beornen, burning, be chosen

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:53 am

8byfire wrote:
How much Wardley will we see in this woodie?

Not much according to him - he only changed the first drop as he felt the original was boring but for the most part has stayed out of it.

I’m quite glad he isn’t a huge part of this. The Smiler was a phenomenal send off and I think that it’ll be nice to see someone else take the reins!

PhNx Survivor
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:24 am

It's a shame Alton have a height limit on their rides.. but with good designers, Alton can have world class roller coasters to add to the line-up that's already there.. The Smiler is a great example, as the Black Hole used to house that site, but I would never of imagined something like The Smiler would take its place.. So much Coaster :lol

I'm sure the ride will have something more to it, I'm just hoping it's not a huge build up to then have something like Mystic Timbers ending and be a let down.. Honestly though I don't think we have anything to worry about, I'm sure this ride will be in the top 5, or 3 at Alton when we get to ride it. I just hope I'm right..
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:18 am

I still want to know what made Merlin have a sudden change of heart when it comes to wooden coasters. Perhaps it will become more obvious tomorrow.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]

8byfire
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:28 am

MakoMania wrote:
I still want to know what made Merlin have a sudden change of heart when it comes to wooden coasters. Perhaps it will become more obvious tomorrow.

The market research was a big factor - this time the feedback said yes, and if you compare Nemesis' construction to SW8's construction and the scale of the theming/ attention to detail I think this is what clinched it- Merlin were happy they'd found a way to package the coaster as part of the experience that would potentially be a similarly strong addition to the park and loved by its visitors. Personally I think it will be.

I also think the fact it has been a strong few years for wooden coasters with several opening or being given a new lease of life worldwide has boosted their popularity and helped positively impact the public's opinion of them and thus Merlin's faith in them. With wooden coasters doing well in recent awards and charts it is good to see that visitors still appreciate them.

Welcoming the wicker man, awaken
Beornen, burning, be chosen

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:40 am

8byfire wrote:
MakoMania wrote:

The market research was a big factor - this time the feedback said yes, and if you compare Nemesis' construction to SW8's construction and the scale of the theming/ attention to detail I think this is what clinched it- Merlin were happy they'd found a way to package the coaster as part of the experience that would potentially be a similarly strong addition to the park and loved by its visitors. Personally I think it will be.

I also think the fact it has been a strong few years for wooden coasters with several opening or being given a new lease of life worldwide has boosted their popularity and helped positively impact the public's opinion of them and thus Merlin's faith in them. With wooden coasters doing well in recent awards and charts it is good to see that visitors still appreciate them.

I agree in that I think this ride will be a success for the park, but will the resurgence of wooden coasters in the industry really be known or appreciated by the general public in the UK? I don't think so.

I'm just a little skeptical that after wooden coasters bombing out on market research for 20+ years the tides have turned in an instant. In my opinion, the theme of this ride will have been crucial to the approval of a wooden coaster.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]

Justin
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:49 am

This could be a tenuous link; however, with the announcement due tomorrow, a little speculation can't hurt. Bear with me, but this focuses on the number 8!

Secret Weapon 8
Also known as SW8

Countdown Videos (Facebook)
It was noted on Facebook that the countdown announcements were posted at the following times; SW3 (20:00), SW4 (20:04), SW5 (20:05), SW6 (20:06) and SW7 is expected to be posted on Facebook tonight at 20:07. All of these have been posted at 8.XXpm, although they have appeared earlier in the day on other platforms.

Reveal Date 8-1-18
The reveal will happen on the 8th day of January. Add up all the digits individually and it equals 18; the year of the coaster's launch.

So, how does this have any relevance?
With recent videos, The Beornen seem to be Pagans. Relate this to the number 8 and you come up with the 'Wheel of the Year' which is split up into 8 festivals which common practice during ceremonies is a sacrifice. The following is from Wikipedia:

Offerings of food, drink, various objects, etc. have been central in ritual propitiation and veneration for millennia. Modern Pagan practice strongly avoids sacrificing animals in favour of grains, herbs, milk, wines, incense, baked goods, minerals, etc. The exception being with ritual feasts including meat, where the inedible parts of the animal are often burned as offerings while the community eats the rest.

Sacrifices are typically offered to gods and ancestors by burning them. Burying and leaving offerings in the open are also common in certain circumstances. The purpose of offering is to benefit the venerated, show gratitude, and give something back, strengthening the bonds between humans and divine and between members of a community.

There are also further details on Wicca and how the wheel plays an important part in their culture. This aside, tomorrow is going to be interesting :D

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:32 pm

New video is up! As expected today is the Smiler! 

Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 1901!
Ride count 2020: 128!
Cred count: 96!

JC13
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:43 pm

Justin wrote:
This could be a tenuous link; however, with the announcement due tomorrow, a little speculation can't hurt. Bear with me, but this focuses on the number 8!

Secret Weapon 8
Also known as SW8

Countdown Videos (Facebook)
It was noted on Facebook that the countdown announcements were posted at the following times; SW3 (20:00), SW4 (20:04), SW5 (20:05), SW6 (20:06) and SW7 is expected to be posted on Facebook tonight at 20:07. All of these have been posted at 8.XXpm, although they have appeared earlier in the day on other platforms.

Reveal Date 8-1-18
The reveal will happen on the 8th day of January. Add up all the digits individually and it equals 18; the year of the coaster's launch.

So, how does this have any relevance?
With recent videos, The Beornen seem to be Pagans. Relate this to the number 8 and you come up with the 'Wheel of the Year' which is split up into 8 festivals which common practice during ceremonies is a sacrifice. The following is from Wikipedia:

Offerings of food, drink, various objects, etc. have been central in ritual propitiation and veneration for millennia. Modern Pagan practice strongly avoids sacrificing animals in favour of grains, herbs, milk, wines, incense, baked goods, minerals, etc. The exception being with ritual feasts including meat, where the inedible parts of the animal are often burned as offerings while the community eats the rest.

Sacrifices are typically offered to gods and ancestors by burning them. Burying and leaving offerings in the open are also common in certain circumstances. The purpose of offering is to benefit the venerated, show gratitude, and give something back, strengthening the bonds between humans and divine and between members of a community.

There are also further details on Wicca and how the wheel plays an important part in their culture. This aside, tomorrow is going to be interesting :D

Do you think it will be announced at 20:08? This would follow the pattern

Justin
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:47 pm

I expect the announcement will be made earlier, to be honest. 

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:50 pm

It certainly won’t be in the evening, although I wouldn’t be shocked to see this theory play out (I first saw someone say it on Facebook the other day too so it’s noticeable) in the morning.

jackf1tz
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:53 pm

Does anybody think that SW8 could be announced using a RCR type video? It could show every single SW, and end with the new ride. The way Alton have been advertising them as a group and making links between them makes me think they'll play a part in the announcement.

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:59 pm

I would expect we will be seeing a few bits of info, mainly on the website. I certainly think the social media announcement could be like this but reading some comments it looks like the public are growing tedious with being reminded about the existing rides, so I’m not sure if it’s a great idea!

Nickolai
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:05 pm

How was The Smiler announced?
Formally Smiler313

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:10 pm

Smiler313 wrote:

https://youtu.be/kBVojSrWcd8

That’s what I could find :-k

This was followed by a testing video and a video of a news reporter riding it on the next day.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:15 pm

Smiler313 wrote:

There was a PR stunt involving the logo appearing on sheep, with the Resort soon after revealing their involvement along with the ride name etc. on January 21st (somehow I can remember that date). There was actually a rather bizarre video released of the sheep with voices dubbed over them. Here are also the articles TowersTimes posted - #1 and #2.

Given what we know now, perhaps the sheep were actually an early clue to SW8... ;)

PhNx Survivor
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:18 pm

So let's get talking and guessing, do we actually think the name will be 'Wicker Man', or could it be something else? Should of taken this to betfred or something..
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”

Nutty Man
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:32 pm

I hope the wicker man is a red herring... it could be called the man of wicker! :)
Complete credit goes to the bubbleboi