UK theme parks from another point of view!

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Re: Alton Towers Toilets

Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:19 pm

Nemesis could have brilliant post apocalyptic toilets which look almost makeshift in parts, have a red light that occasionally flickers, a neon sign on the outside and the entrance is a thick rusty metal door.

Nemesis is close to the Gloomy toilets though, so some nearer to Air would be better. A clean and simple sci-fi look with aluminium and blue and white lighting is all that's needed to match the main building on the outside. Perhaps some nice curved, sloping surfaces too?

:)
Last edited by BigAl on Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:58 pm

Well the Forbidden Valley toilets would look good if done to a similar standard of the bathroom in the old Nemesis room.

Photos from TowersTimes.

:)
Last edited by CoasterCrazyChris on Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:01 pm

That! Only, a bit less nineties! :P

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:03 pm

BigAl wrote:
That! Only, a bit less nineties! :P

Are you referring to the bathroom fittings or the actual theming there?

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:57 pm

A bit of both.

McFlurry

Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:38 pm

I must admit the toilets are a bit of a state at Alton Towers! In actual fact they are shocking considering it's a multimillion pound operation. It's actually a bit strange that they have been missed off the 'refurb' list for years. Even with the mini-refresh on the TowersStreet toilets they still looked shocking. A door rap and sound effect's doesn't really do much.

Not only do all the toilets look dated, because they look so old they look unclean and unwelcoming. They don't exactly scream 'family theme park' either.

Realistically the buildings, and infrastructure such as plumbing etc is already there which is the biggest expense it's just a case of replacing the actual toilets/sinks with something that doesn't look like it belongs in a decommissioned High School, and replacing the floors, cubicles, wall covers etc.

Though, if they are willing to pay extra to have a roller coaster built around a prehistoric toilet block then it does kind of hint/suggest we won't see anything done them anytime soon.

Emily
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:51 pm

I went to AT twice last year, once in April and then for a few days in October. In April, the Monorail toilets were disgusting first thing in the morning! I don't know what had gone on, but there was toilet roll strewn all over the floor in each cubicle and they were generally really untidy (though not dirty, fortunately). They were fine later on.

I think it was October when I went to the loo on Towers Street, and two of the sinks were blocked with toilet roll - there was water all over the floor and coming out of the doorway. I don't know why people did it in the first place (the toilet roll was tightly squished into the plughole), or why someone couldn't have just used their brain and unblocked them (I know it's not "our" problem, but it doesn't hurt to be nice). I unblocked them, but the water was absolutely freezing and it took a while to warm up afterwards!

I don't mind the toilets in general; at least they aren't those horrible metal things with wooden seats! However, the taps are really annoying; my Mum usually holds them down for me, lol :) (I can understand that they don't want to waste water, but an automated sensor would be better so you could wash both hands at the same time!). I don't like the dryers either - they take so long that I end up not using them, so when I spend a few days on park I end up with really dry, sore hands. Perhaps I should start carrying a small hand towel with me!! :D

AshleeK
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:05 pm

The only toilets I use on a regular basis at the Towers are the ones in Gloomy Wood, for some reason. Last time I used the ones on Towers Street I got confused, because it was playing a tape with some girls talking about all the rides and I thought it was just people having a rather loud and obnoxious conversation :/

garyh
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:48 pm

Never thought id be discussing toilets but i actually dont see anything wrong with the toilets in Alton, they are usually clean, there are plenty of loos and urinals, always soap and the hand driers are always working.  Considering visitor numbers per day, and the fact that rarely you'll find a single McDonalds toilet with the same standard - its not bad!

However, I hear that Alton Towers are installing a new access system to the cubicles, you insert £2 (to do a number 2 obviously) and to exit, when you turn the key you get £1 back.  The hand driers however will be £1 per ten seconds.  ;)

Johno
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:31 am

Toilets in Gloomy Wood last time I went were flooding with a couple of cm of water.

Was not fun having to wade when you wanted to take a leak.

djtruefitt

Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:13 pm

garyh wrote:
However, I hear that Alton Towers are installing a new access system to the cubicles, you insert £2 (to do a number 2 obviously) and to exit, when you turn the key you get £1 back.  The hand driers however will be £1 per ten seconds.  ;)

Dont say that otherwise Merlin might nick your idea!

pluk
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:59 pm

They should give the ones under Skyride a fire theme, to match the theme the Skyride is often going for.
Total Unique Ridecount

Big Dave

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:25 pm

They just need a good tidy up, but theming them would be epic. Would cost a fair bit and its something Alton Towers are unlikely to do. We had a chat on Skype and were discussing the possibility of themed uniform. It would be epic, but its not going to happen.

Crumpet Muncher
TT Member
TT Member

Alton Towers Toilets

Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:42 pm

It wouldn't hurt for Alton to spruce up the loos, although I echo the comments to say they are generally nice and clean. Agreed about the stupid taps and sinks.

It would be nice for them to be a bit warmer though, using the toilets in scarefest is almost dangerous!

Sazzle

Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:06 pm

Well, well well... a topic about the ONE thing I ALWAYS moan about!!

I simply have to vent my spleen, because I end up irritated every single time I go to the loo.

I agree they're cleaned to an acceptable standard, however, they're all very outdated (pale pink 80s tiles, anyone?), with atrocious hand washing facilities (the water from the 'hot' taps is 90% of the time cold), they're FREEZING to go into (arse stuck to the seat much on opening/fireworks), and why do the taps have some sort of fit when you try and press them??.

Its all fine and dandy investing in the newest most technologically ground breaking rides, but can we please have working taps, heaters and a spruce up of the décor?

Mind you, you can never beat a bit of Dein Momente while having some alone-time... *sigh*

McFlurry

Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:33 pm

What a load of poop! Are you taking the pee! (Did you see what I did there?  :P Joelio would be proud of me)!

So anyway you don't post since March, and THIS is how you repay us?  :(

I'll go create a topic about pretty things and we can let you re-do you comeback!  :lol:

Lots of Love, Hugs & Kisses xxxxx

oldgitBEN

Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:34 pm

the one thing saz? Ha. :P

Sazzle

Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:00 pm

...yeah my return to the forum is marked by a moan about toilet facilities... this is not a reflection of myself, or my attitude at the moment ;)! Anyway - so what?!

No, Ben, not the only thing, but it's one of my main niggles! I do not expect to have my moment of sheer delight and relief at having held a pee so desperately from the Air exit all the way to Gloomy Wood completely shattered by a lack of bog roll, a cold seat, spiders cobwebs, naff tiles and RUBBISH taps.

GIVE ME ENGLAND AT EUROPA! Ohhh now there are some toilet facilities to be proud of...

garyh
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:49 am

Personally I think its about time women learnt to pee standing up  ;)  lol

Sazzle

Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:23 pm

Okay so just a quickie update following my observations from Half Term.

The Gloomy Wood ladies have had all their taps replaced and were all supplying GLORIOUS hot water :). I visited the X-Sector ladies, too... not impressed tbh.

Russell mentioned that the gents taps in Valley underneath the Skyride were running hot - score!

I still dream of loos where the external doors close, the heaters make a difference, the decor isn't drab and PEOPLE WASH THEIR HANDS. The latter I'm fully aware Towers have no control over, but witnessing it so many times over half term... it grosses me out.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk