UK theme parks from another point of view!

AstroDan

Submission & Enterprise: Now Open for 2012

Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:42 pm

From TT News, today:

Several rumours have been circulating in recent weeks that Alton Towers have taken the decision to close the Enterprise and Submission rides, found in the parks X Sector, for the duration of the 2012 season. These rumours, in addition to the absence of both rides on the parks main 'Fastrack' page, have led TowersTimes to believe they will indeed face closure.

The rides, which provide support for headline attraction Oblivion, boost the thrill ride line up at the theme park and are two of only four rides in the park which truly go "upside down". Although Enterprise is one of the parks oldest residents, the ride is actually found at many theme parks, including Thorpe Park in Surrey. Submission, which was new for the 2001 season, is found less commonly and in recent years has only ever operated one arm of the available two.

Both rides offer height restrictions less than all the other thrill rides in the park, with Submission suitable for those over 1.2metres tall and Enterprise just 0.9metres. Ripsaw and Nemesis, the parks other true 'looping' attractions, are both for those 1.4metres and over only.

Taking into account the current closure of the Beastie rollercoaster, this means that there will be three standing attractions at the theme park out of service for the 2012 season.

TowersTimes is currently unaware of the reasons why the rides are being closed, although it is not believed it is due to the development of the SW7 rollercoaster for 2013, which is in a different part of X Sector.

With rising gate prices and the hope for rising attendance at the theme park, it remains to be seen whether closed thrill rides will have an impact on guest satisfation during 2012.

Discuss.

Update: Alton Towers have re-assessed the SW7 construction situation and will now be opening both Submission and Enterprise in 2012.
Last edited by AstroDan on Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SpinballEdders

Re: Submission & Enterprise: Closed (SBNO) for 2012

Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:46 pm

Damn it! I was gonna ride Submission when I go in April :(

Poison Tom 96

Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:47 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
i <3 Enterprise :(
Where have the rumours come from ?

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:49 pm

Sorry, I'm confused? Have the park confirmed this or not or is it it just guess work?

If so, very bad news.

siralgenon
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:51 pm

Iv'e never been on either of them, but they we're looking a little under the weather to say the least, you never know, they could just be having a major re-furb for when SW7 opens?  :)

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:52 pm

In the SW7 plans it was clearly stated that the existing flat rides would remain...

AstroDan

Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:55 pm

CoasterCrazyChris wrote:
Sorry, I'm confused? Have the park confirmed this or not or is it it just guess work?

If so, very bad news.

As is often the case with TT News, it is based on the judgement of TowersTimes.

Alton Towers have not officially announced the rides are unavailable, but only when TowersTimes has a "very good indication" something is happening, do we publish it as news.

Otherwise, it is merely left for the forums.

And, Sir Algenon, at present, we are not under the impression that the rides are closed due to 2013. However, we have no further information on that the moment.

.Will

Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:56 pm

It's about time, those two rides are a stain on Alton Towers I mean lets face it they look awful (Enterprise more so), I don't see how Enterprise has lasted so long anyway considering it is a travelling ride and therefore should be on the back of some lorry not in the most popular theme park in the UK. The ride is an embarrassment.

As for Submission well that is in a similar state but a little less dire, it is however mildly popular and enjoyed by younger 'teenage' audiences so there will be a gap there. However, I find myself compelled to say that I will be sad to see it go, it still seems young and fresh (God only knows how) and has provided many rides of uncomfortable entertainment.

This leaves Alton Towers in a predicament, Ripsaw and Blade are not getting any younger and they now have two flat-less thrill areas in the Dark Forest and X-Sector, both of which are in need of a flat ride, maybe X-Sector more so now.

The lack of flat rides is worrying, even with Nemesis: Sub-Terra and SW7, maybe in 2014 we will see two new flat rides, we can only hope.

AstroDan

Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:57 pm

.Will - the rides are not being removed.

We believe that they are just SBNO.

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:59 pm

So what are we left with? Ripsaw and a glorified pirate ship (which lets face it, should be classed as a family ride).

This move will be an unpopular one, having the rides left idle will look very bad, especially as they are both in clear view from Oblivion's queue.

Reminds me of Ug Land in its dying days when Rita was on its own after Corkscrew closed and UG Swinger was relocated. Could X-Sector just consists of two coasters in the future?

:(
Last edited by CoasterCrazyChris on Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John
TT Member
TT Member

More financial cutbacks :(

Longy

It maybe just for February Half Term, but wouldn't that then mean they would remove Rita, TH13TEEN and any other rides that are closed from that page also.
Like mentioned earlier, they could be getting a spruce up for 2013, which is why they've taken them away now, so half of X Sector isn't closed during the 2012 season.
I hope it's the latter really, as they are in a dire state at the moment, and it's better for the rides to have spruce ups now, rather than at the end of the year when SW7 construction is going on.

MinteButtons

Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:00 pm

Oh, I hope this doesn't happen. With (albeit a meagre) rise in ticket pricing I don't think people will be happy with two rides being SBNO. Enterprise always seems to have a queue when I visit and if it's unavailable then that's another attraction for children knocked off.

Also rides being SBNO look really tacky, not what you expect from Alton. Walking into X-Sector and seeing Oblivion, an empty tent, and two fenced off rides will not look good.  I do hope that this is just a rumour.

.Will

Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:02 pm

AstroDan wrote:

... So you won't be able to ride them. So my point still stands, I was merely passing opinion on the state of them.

BIan
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:02 pm

Wow,  this is a surprise.

That being said, these two rides are hardly the most popular on park, and have been in need of some TLC for a while now.

This is going to leave X-Sector very bare with 3 SBNO rides, as even though the Blackhole tent is now empty, the fact it is there still counts for me.

Hopefully this is a sign that two new flat rides will open in the 2013 season, along side the new rollercoaster.

Ian

Dylan
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:05 pm

Is there a possibility they will use the gate and access road between Submission and Enterprise for construction access purposes? That would then be a valid reason, especially with the ground clearance that will need doing during the season? Just a thought.

AstroDan

Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:05 pm

.Will wrote:
AstroDan wrote:

... So you won't be able to ride them. So my point still stands, I was merely passing opinion on the state of them.

The question is, do they look worse to you operating with guests? Or worse just standing, motionless...

I know what I would choose!

Magrathea
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:06 pm

I'd wager a guess that the rides are being closed for the season in an attempt to cut down on costs, especially with the inevitable excess of staff who'll be required for Terry.

I mean, what better excuse for closing attractions would be needed than "for the construction"?

Blaze

Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:07 pm

Submission finally dead? Fantastic news!

Enterprise is past it and it's long overdue.

I do hope that they remove the rides and don't leave them SBNO. It's one thing leaving The Beastie there, another to leave two large flats in plane view.

AstroDan

Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:08 pm

Enterprise is only "past it" because it hasn't had the TLC it needs. If it was given a full refurbishment, then it could go on for a while yet. The ride offers guests of just 0.9m the chance to ride a thrill ride! It has its place in the park.

Submission was just a bad egg from day 1.

:P