UK theme parks from another point of view!

Blaze

Re: Submission & Enterprise: Closed (SBNO) for 2012

Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:01 pm

Good to see we're back where we were a year ago. We don't like something so immediately jump to the conclusion it's Merlin and money.

So they're making budget cuts but at the same time building N:ST and SW7 in consecutive years and have outlines plans for massive expansion of the resort. All that but running two knackered rides is too much? Doubt it.

If the rides cost to much to run, they'd sell them or scrap them and get money back, or just open them on busy days. There's no official word yet so we can't just assume things. If they're getting an extensive refurb, they could open later in the season, or any other possibility.

Or do we have to just go down this same old route before the park even say anything?

Rob L
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:04 pm

It's fair to say that this news does not impress me one bit, I really hope it is not true. I don't care about the 2 rides themselves and rarely go on them. However having rides SBNO in what is the UK's biggest theme park is not acceptable unless it is for very good reason. I can't see any real reason as to why they would be left SBNO apart from cost saving. This is not good.

:)

AstroDan

Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:07 pm

Blaze wrote:
Good to see we're back where we were a year ago. We don't like something so immediately jump to the conclusion it's Merlin and money.

So they're making budget cuts but at the same time building N:ST and SW7 in consecutive years and have outlines plans for massive expansion of the resort. All that but running two knackered rides is too much? Doubt it.

If the rides cost to much to run, they'd sell them or scrap them and get money back, or just open them on busy days. There's no official word yet so we can't just assume things. If they're getting an extensive refurb, they could open later in the season, or any other possibility.

Or do we have to just go down this same old route before the park even say anything?

I think it's more a case of "two steps forward and two steps back". Or "one step forward and two steps back".

Believe what you will.

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:13 pm

3 SBNO's?

Looks like we're back into the dark days of 2003-6 once more.

Shame. :(

medji
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:14 pm

if there will be these fences up you say they will have some advert for SW7,but isnt it a little early to be marketing it?
I can't even remember when the "ride the demon of the dark forest" was up near rita so I may be wrong in judging how early it is :$

Vik
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:14 pm

2012: SBNO + potential major overhauls,refurb = 'New for 2013....'  :D

From a personal point of view, Submission wont be too badly missed by me, I loath it, but enjoy watching others suffer on it.  :lol:  Do enjoy Enterprise though.

It does seem a shame that we gain two, what should be very good additions to the park, but then lose two others, albeit decidedly average rides.
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Johno
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:16 pm

I don't understand how the SBNO status of these 2 rides could be a significant budget cut to a park like AT.

At the end of the day, no matter what the price of operating them, they're an attraction for guests!

I can imagine X sector looking even more full of despair than it does now.

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:18 pm

What's also ludicrous is that next year X-Sector will have just one solitary attraction, whereas Forbiddden Valley will sport five.

Not to mention Dark Forest still looking at odds with just Rita and Thirteen.

Then Spinball on its own in Adventure Land and The Flume rotting away in Mutiny Bay.

Why does the park feel so disjointed these days?
Last edited by CoasterCrazyChris on Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Poison Tom 96

Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:22 pm

We Must all remember that this is just a Rumour!!!!!!!

The rides are still up on the AT site and this news hasn't been confirmed!

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:26 pm

Yes, but the Corkscrew is still listed on Mingo's website and that's currently in pieces, waiting to be shipped off to France.

Man, how I'd love to kick the backsides of some of the employees at Merlin and Alton. I hope this rumour is untrue, for their sake. :x

Charlee
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:32 pm

If this is purely for budgets cuts, why re they shutting down two rides that are next to each other? Why not Enterprise and The Blade to share out the in creased queue lines in FV and XS? It doesn't really make sense to me, theres gotta be anoter reason as to why they shut down both Submission and Enterprise when The Flume is rotting away. There are alot more worse rides than those two, I really hope that this is just a rumour.
I used to think I knew a lot about coasters, but then I joined this forum.

siralgenon
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:35 pm

BigAl wrote:
Yes, but the Corkscrew is still listed on Mingo's website and that's currently in pieces, waiting to be shipped off to France.

Man, how I'd love to kick the backsides of some of the employees at Merlin and Alton. I hope this rumour is untrue, for their sake. :x

I really want to know who makes some of the decisions at that resort - because they are just beyond me!  :roll: I thought Alton Towers was or was becoming a world-class Theme Park? It used to be one of Europe's best and now (this is coming from an insane fan) I don't know whether it's England's best?

To close two rides at once for whatever reason is stupid - if it is maintenance or spending cuts - just close one and swap them over - if it is Merlin and their money -  then I wouldn't say they are short on it and as one of their biggest attractions they need to expand some budgets?  :roll:
Last edited by siralgenon on Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:35 pm

Johno wrote:
I don't understand how the SBNO status of these 2 rides could be a significant budget cut to a park like AT.

At the end of the day, no matter what the price of operating them, they're an attraction for guests!

I can imagine X sector looking even more full of despair than it does now.

Remember when it comes to deciding on where budget cuts take place, for a business such as Alton Towers there will be many aspects of the business that could be cut to save money. Ride operations, staffing, entertainments, operation hours are to name a few. Enterprise and Submission come under 'ride operations'.

Hypothetically speaking, all budget cuts made at Alton so far have only been in departments such as entertainments and marketing, although faced with the hard decision of reviewing 2012s operations and estimates these cuts that have not touched ride operations so far but now the managers are faced with the hard decision of further cutting other theme park operations or extending cuts to ride operations.

Where do they go from there? What rides will need to either cut operations or become SBNO? Say they came to the decision 'we need to close down one or two rides/attractions that will have minimal impact on the guests', the managers choose to close down one or two 'low key' rides. Ones that will not necessarily be remembered vividly when closed down. Do they choose Enterprise and Submission? Or Ripsaw and the Blade? The latter was chosen, why? The SW7 construction fence can extend to these areas, thus two defunct rides will not be fully visible. The area be used to market SW7 at some stage. This is an area that is not of key importance in 2012. In 2012 they want the focus on Forbidden Valley, so the closure of these rides will not be noticed.

It saves money on the budget cuts as a whole (remember cuts are made across the theme park operations). It will not be noticed highly by guests and will make a very minimal impact on a guests' experience.

Try not to take too much truth into my post, I could be way off the mark - I'm thinking realistic here of possibly how Alton/Merlin might have gone about this.

James
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:38 pm

Charlee wrote:
If this is purely for budgets cuts, why re they shutting down two rides that are next to each other? Why not Enterprise and The Blade to share out the in creased queue lines in FV and XS?

The Blade is in the center of Forbidden Valley, it is a highly visible ride from both side when you walk through the area. In 2012 we will be seeing Sub Terra, this will bring a high volume of guests to Forbidden Valley. The managers will want this area to be operating at it's best and look full of life.

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:39 pm

If this is money related, perhaps it will be a wake-up call to Merlin to make the stop them purchasing so many bloody things in the first place, *cough* ski-resorts on the other side of the globe *cough* ?

joshc807
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:44 pm

If these rides are SBNO for budget cuts and are opened in 2013, I'm scared to think about what they might shut in 2013 for budget cuts if they have to.

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:00 pm

The biggest worry is that they might just decide the keep them closed after 2012 and scrap the planned refurbishment.

Poison Tom 96

Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:02 pm

i am just praying it is just a rumour.......

dan_pmbo
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:04 pm

I cant help but have a small snigger well quite a big one actually at 3 possible SBNO rides at awful flowers after all the flack BPB got over it due to budget cuts a few years back. axing 3 rides and putting up prices here there and everywhere is always going to leave a sour taste in the mouth for the paying public. Not good times. :-)
Pleasure Beach Blackpool Europes Leading Amusement Park!

mezza
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:04 pm

If this is the case, surely it'll be related to SW7 construction.

The covering letter of the planning doc says that for delivery of larger items, the access road between Submission and Oblivion will be used.  I was wondering if they'd do that:  keep X sector basically as a pathway to Oblivion, and that's it.  It's a big construction project, and there's not a lot of space in the area.

Remember during thirteen's construction, Ug Land was basically access to Rita?

I really don't buy this 'saving money' thing.  Ultimately, AT want to keep as many rides open as possible - they'd only shut those 2 rides down if there was good reason to do so.
EXIT THROUGH THE SHIPPING CONTAINER