UK theme parks from another point of view!

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member

Re: 2012 Map & Marketing - Hopes & Expectations

Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:19 pm

I'm sure that with the current Alton Towers map they just let some eager artists attack a canvas and shove as much onto it a possible! Simple can be just as effective, but at the same time, make what's on there look fantastic. Good attractions speak for themselves though. Alton Towers and it's attractions are world renowned. They don't need to make everything as big and in-your-face to make people recognise them.

Maps are usually just thrown away and very few people sit and appreciate the work that has gone into them. I enjoy looking at them and I like to see parks putting as much thought into maps and leaflets as they do with attractions, but most people don't care. Theme park maps are ephemeral. If it weren't for enthusiasts that keep and collect them, they'd most likely be forgotten within a year or two of being replaced.

It is also worth noting that when someone is trying to get as much out of their day as possible, they don't need a map with gaudy images exploding out at them and not be able to see where things are. People shouldn't need to ask where things are because the map shouldn't need to be deciphered in the first place. And a bad map that makes someone angry is more likely to get thrown on the floor and more litter is the last thing that Alton Towers wants, or any park for that matter.

Adam
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:24 pm

To be honest, the only thing that could do with being removed from this years map is the hotel section. It's simply not needed. Would make the whole map look less cluttered and allow room to expand it slightly.

And when you bare in mind, the new Marketing Director is now in place at the resort, so he is going to want to make an impact to the brand in someway, so there could be a few changes here and there this season. :)
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:50 pm

Why don't they trial two separate maps? One for the theme park and another for the rest of the resort? It would free up space for the theme park. If it didn't work then just set the park out in a more simple manner but make sure that the attractions all still look great and the map retains its eye-catching looks.

I'd like to think that Alton would invest in getting free wi-fi available across the whole resort and push the phone app a little bit more. Most people have phones that can now access their app and being able to quickly connect to the interactive park map on your phone might allow them to cut down on the amount of paper maps which end up getting dropped or binned at the end of the day. It's also annoying when you're trying to view live queue times on your phone and you either can't connect or the times are wrong. But obviously, there will always be people without access to these apps, so there will always be a need for paper maps.
Last edited by BigAl on Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charlee
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:33 pm

I don't know what you people are talking about, this map is definitely the best;) Image
I used to think I knew a lot about coasters, but then I joined this forum.

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:53 pm

It would be the best... but Th13teen isn't imposing enough! :P

ATJoseph
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:21 pm

I have made my own map its the 2010 one just edited

Voke
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:56 pm

I think that's pretty much the style, design and format we'll be seeing during the 2012 Season, as I wouldn't imagine a rebranding until 2013, to coincide with the opening of SW7.

But I fully expect the Sub-Terra Logo to cover pretty much the whole of Forbidden Valley, and Gloomy Wood's. An SW7 Advertisement that will pretty much dominate the whole of X-Sector, and a Ice Age 4D Logo that will be much, much bigger than it actually should be on the 2012 map. Oh, the joys! :)

phillipvass
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:20 pm

I would like to see a return to the use of ride logos on park maps, not too sure why they stopped doing that in the first place?!

As for general marketing, i'd love it if they started using the magical bubbles like they did pre-2005. I'm currently doing a study on business marketing/ brand identity and came up with a design that would work well today had Alton Towers kept the 'magic'.

:)

ATJoseph
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:25 pm

I dont know if anyone remembers the old third bush that was on the Alton Towers logo. There used to be three and then when 'Tussauds' was added to the logo they removed the third bush.

Pre Tussards

Tussauds
Last edited by ATJoseph on Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:24 pm

It was probably removed because it looked odd being off centre in front of the Towers.

Anyway, BOTH logos are from the days of Tussauds, its just before 2000 they didn't brand the parks under the Tussauds name.

:)

Poison Tom 96

Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:45 pm

The second logo is much better than the first!

the newest logo has bolts on it as last years didn't

Magrathea
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:07 pm

I'm really not feeling the bolts; for a start they're moderately unsightly, but more importantly most of the logos across the resort won't be edited to accommodate them (thankfully), and therefore the brand will be slightly inconsistent.

I just don't see the necessity for adding them...

Charlee
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:17 pm

Now that is the best map I have ever seen, Disney's California Adventure
I used to think I knew a lot about coasters, but then I joined this forum.

NickT04
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:23 pm

I think the 2011 map was fine, as I've said before all the paths eventually led to where they were meant to or in the rough direction. It's a theme park map not an OS landranger map!

Randomizer462
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:33 pm

Has the map or Promontial Images been released yet? I hope this years map dont or has little of the hotels on!

Boz
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:41 pm

Poison Tom 96 wrote:
The second logo is much better than the first!

the newest logo has bolts on it as last years didn't

sorry what bolts? :?

Poison Tom 96

Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:47 pm

Boz i was  on about the newest logo for this year

Voke
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:08 pm

Randomizer462 wrote:
Has the map or Promontial Images been released yet? I hope this years map dont or has little of the hotels on!

Nope, the only promotional images that have been released for the 2012 Season are Sub-Terra and Ice Age 4D ones which can be fund in the relevant topics. Don't expect the 2012 Park Map to be released until after the February Half-Term event.

I'd say we could expect it at the end of the month. :)

James
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:26 pm

Around the end of February/early March the 2012 resort promotional image and resort map will be released. We usually get the first proper look of the map when it is published in the Sun newspaper (start of March usually).

If Alton have created any new promotional images for other rides/attractions they'll be released around the same time too.

haydn!
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:16 pm

Charlee wrote:

Now that is the best map I have ever seen, Disney's California Adventure

It's a great conceptual image of the park, but it would make an awful map. Once you get past the entrance plaza, it's almost impossible to navigate your way anywhere!