UK theme parks from another point of view!

holswilliams
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Size restrictions on Air

Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:33 pm

Hello!

I know this subject has been raised time and time again, but I guess I'm still feeling a little insecure about it!

Having read the previous posts, I realise with Air the issue won't be weight so much as size.... I'm a UK size 18, so not a small girl by any standards!

Bust: 48inch.
Waist: 42inch.
Hips/tummy: About 48 when I'm standing, 50 when I'm sat down.
Thighs: About 28inches.

I've just come back from Disney, where I fitted on everything, quite comfortably. And, I know in the past I've been fine on Oblivion, Nemesis etc (and, I could always go for the bigger seats on these anyway), but I've been wanting to try Air for such a long time!

I really don't want to have to do a walk of shame, and as I'm going with work colleagues, I still feel a tad uncomfortable about trying out the tester seat in front of people I don't know really well!

From your experience, what do you guys think? I feel cheeky asking you to go grab a tape measure and let me know!

Any advice would greatly be appreciated!

Hollie x

Big Dave

Re: Size restrictions on Air

Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:18 pm

As a general guide, anyone over 48" chest will experience problems on air. I would, however, advise you to try the test seat at the ride entrance.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

JaykeAT
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:46 pm

^I think the worry with a ride like air,if they had bigger seats it would be much harder for smaller people like me (1.43 meters) to get into I think

thefatone
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:49 pm

Also think about the poor guy who has to hold the ENTIRE WEIGHT of the person should the ride get stuck and they need to be evacuated out.

Plus the weight of the entire train to go around. Plus trying to make everything physically safe. At the end of the day, guests larger than the restrictions is not discriminating, it should be treated exactly like children under the height. Unless you're saying that's discriminating as well? Your mate won't fit on swarm, it's got same restraint restrictions as Nemesis.

Holswilliams - As big dave says, try out the test seat at the entrance. Would never want someone to miss out on a ride if they could get on!

Kenzie2012
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:17 pm

damos1 wrote:

I do think it is time the U.K. started to introduce bigger seats though as it is kind of discrimination that big seats are not being built into new designs as they know the problem exists.

Why should manufacturers/ designers/ parks go to such lengths for people who can't stay out of the fridge?!?!
Fair enough if it's a Shoulder size issue but calling it discrimination is toff.
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”

thefatone
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:18 pm

Try and fit two people under one restraint to hold someone up.. it's impossible.

Some rides maybe could hold a herd of elephants. Air could not. Too much weight puts the lifting mechanism under intense strain and would more than likely break it. Air has weight restrictions per row.

Although some rides I imagine would be due to forces taken on the ride, such as Nemesis, a fair few would be down to the harness design - designed to accomodate the majority, but not the entire, of the population. There's nothing discriminatory about having harnesses which cannot accomodate for larger or smaller, because it can hold the majority of middle ground guests.

Each restraint is different, for different reasons. I'm sure they are working to accomodate more on newer rides, but at the end of the day, the only rides which'll be able to accomodate every guest will be the ones without a restraint system. That'll always be the case.

Big Dave

Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:40 pm

It is not discriminating as 99.9% of all themeparks make it clear before you even go to the park that the rides have size restrictions. It is also an industry wide problem. Yes some rides in the USA do have bigger seats, but even over there, most of the rides have a standard size and if you don't fit, then there is nothing they can do.

Like mentioned above, trying to make a restraint that is safe to hold a child in as well as holding a large adult is very difficult. In addition, its not the themeparks who come up with the restraint designs, but instead the manufacture and the health and safety groups for each country.

A perfect example of this is Wodan at Europa Park. They wanted to remove the seatbelts that the wooden ride trains normally have to increase throughput. They did this, but then the TUV safety board told them that they would have to lower the locking position of the harness. This means that anyone who is even just slightly overweight will have problems ridding. It was something the park didn't want, but got forced to do!

Mike
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:03 pm

Hollie, if you're concerned about being able to comfortably get in and secure the Air test seat, pretend you're doing it just for a photo opportunity! That way, no-one will think anything the wiser either way :)

Thanks to Ian for the sig!

DanteNero666
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:40 pm

My Dad has a 48in chest and he was able to ride air, in fact, he was able to ride every ride... Enterprise did give him a little trouble, in which the ride attendant forced down the safety harness and crushed the air from his chest, making it difficult to breath.
Give me a coaster handshake!

Poison Tom 96

Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:51 pm

DanteNero666 wrote:
My Dad has a 48in chest and he was able to ride air, in fact, he was able to ride every ride... Enterprise did give him a little trouble, in which the ride attendant forced down the safety harness and crushed the air from his chest, making it difficult to breath.

Enterprise has no bars. do you mean Ripsaw

holswilliams
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:51 pm

Thank you guys! I've not been to Alton Towers for years (perils of a full time job, a full time degree and three children!)... I'm so excited!

DanteNero666 wrote:
My Dad has a 48in chest and he was able to ride air, in fact, he was able to ride every ride...

Thank you :) My chest is all boobs, they're squishy so I'm not too worried about that half of me! However, from what I've read about Air thigh size is really important. I'll still try I suppose! I've wanted to go on it for so long... it seems silly to not even try!

DanteNero666
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:04 pm

Poison Tom 96 wrote:
DanteNero666 wrote:

Enterprise has no bars. do you mean Ripsaw

Yes, I watching a video of Enterprise at the time x) my mistake.
Give me a coaster handshake!

lukaNW
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:23 am

hi holswilliams,

After working on oblivion last year i can tell you the Guideline Maximum chest dimentions for each ride is as follows

Oblivion                52in
Nemesis              52in
Air                        50in
Rita                      50in
TH13TEEN            50in
Sonic Spinball      50in
Submission          50in

^^All of what i found out last year^^

Now its a guideline, each person fits in differently, i had guests come on my rides of different shapes and sizes some i think to myself will he/she wont he/she, hosts will always try there best to help and i can say ive only really had to say that a guest cant ride around 5% of the time when i have been confronted with the issue. oblivion and nemesis have what we called 'double belts' they are seats that are deeper and larger and can accommodate larger guests.

as other people have said, try the test seats, if you can fit the belts to the harness you will be fine.
..::perfection requires a touch of madness::..

aircanman
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:42 pm

If I remember rightly there are slightly larger seats on Air, rows 5/6 and the centre 2 seats?  Not sure. 

The staff are great and it is not just to do with being overweight as people have said on here.  Just keep confident and laugh it off!

thefatone
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:41 am

Row 4, middle seats are *slightly* bigger though they really dont make much, if any, difference.

But yeah, worth a try if you're not too confident!

Anthony
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:44 am

The test seats are there for people like you to use so don't feel embarrassed. That is what they are there for.

You know you are big, you have freely admitted it and I'm sure nobody would think any less of you for doing what is totally sensible. It will take one second and then you will know. Everyone else there is doing their own thing and having a good time. If they are going to think anything of you sitting in the test chair then you can be damn sure they're thinking it anyway when they pass you by. Sitting in the test seat isn't going to make them realise you're big, you're the same person outside of the test seat that they would have walked past or stood next to in the queue or wherever. You know, I know and everyone else who sees you knows...and it means nothing. You are the way you are because you want to be and that's fine.

It'll be like ripping off a plaster. Just do it - quickly. No need to measure yourself or make yourself feel bad if you don't ordinarily feel bad. It will take a few seconds and it'll be a yes or no answer.

Judging by lukaNW's post, you'll be fine anyway.

:)

holswilliams
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:53 am

Hey guys!

So... we went to Alton Towers yesterday, and everything was fine! Weirdly, the only thing that felt a little tight was the bar on Hex, definitely wasn't expecting that!

Despite being so quiet, we didn't get to try half of the things on our list, but I guess that's one of the perils of having three young children with you!

But... Out of the ones we did try... Oblivion, Hex and Th13teen we're fine. I can remember walking up to the loveliest man who was working on Oblivion and rather sheepishly asking whether they had 'larger seats', he took one look at me and said that I wouldn't need it - and he was right! Fitted fine, with room to spare!

Anyway, thank you all for at least putting my mind at ease!

xxx

JadeLeeWright x
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:38 am

That's Great to hear Hols, Was a bit worried about my friend.... You have put my worries to rest

aircanman
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:11 am

Good to hear, I have been through this before and it is one of the most worrying things in the world.

jenbax
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 08, 2012 4:40 pm

Glad everything was ok for you Hollie

I must admit it has been a while since i was at Alton Towers and I was worried about not fitting into the seats on Air (I am a size 18 also and tend to carry most of it on my thighs) but you have really put my mind at rest.

Glad you had a fab time and thanks for the update.

Jen