UK theme parks from another point of view!

Pennywise
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Movie Concepts Based on Rides

Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:54 pm

There's a nagging suspicion on my part that a similar thread to this one has existed in the past, or remains in existence to date, and I apologise if that is the case.

Inspired partly by this 2010 article in the Guardian, along with the general negativity amongst TTFers towards IP based attractions here in the UK... I was wondering, how would any of you go about producing a film based on an Alton Towers attraction?

Of course, I'm not even beginning to claim that this is a plausible idea, and in many ways a thread such as this is better suited to X-Cite, and so I was genuinely unsure of where to post it. In a ideal world, as head of a film production company, without financial limitations and with full expressed permission from the theme park, do you have any concepts that you believe would be genuinely impressive as theme park ride to movie adaptations?

Of course, we're not looking at attractions such as SAW: The Ride nor Charlie & The Chocolate Factory here and, indeed, some attractions (ie - Hex) lend themselves to such an idea more than others do. Nonetheless, I'd like to share my own views on potential story-lines for ride-based motion pictures and, more so, am interested in your own ideas. :)

A few of mine...

Oblivion - Thriller - Directed by David Fincher - Starring: Samuel L. Jackson, Alan Rickman, Bill Pullman
In the year 2056, with the third world war looming, the American Government is in crisis. In a desperate attempt to establish technological advances, a reluctant President (Pullman) approves the foundation of successful businessman Vector Stallone's (Rickman) controversial "medical" facility. The ultimate goal is to achieve teleportation, but something goes wrong...

Twenty years later, with the threat of war having been eliminated, former army general Rajan Perkins (Samuel L. Jackson) and his team are called in to research the actual goings on at the centre, which has been acting outside the government's radar for the past fifteen years. Delving into the past they discover a series of seemingly unnoticed disappearances, and what they eventually discover is far worse than anybody could have imagined...

Nemesis - Sci-Fi - Directed by Ridley Scott - Starring: Daniel Craig, Chloë Grace Moretz, Sigourney Weaver
A disgruntled father (Daniel Craig) and his daughter Joan (Chloë Grace Moretz) move to the countryside following the death of his wife. The area is peaceful and the land on which their new house is built was startlingly cheap... but before long they start to notice the strange behaviour of the locals, who appear to gather in an abandoned building just outside the village each evening. As time progress, Joan becomes increasingly drawn to the location, she finds herself unable to control her actions. Eventually she can no longer hold herself back... she disappears.

Disgruntled, and with authorities refusing to step foot within the village, he hires the help of an alien expert (Signourney Weaver) to help get her back... but this is a beast which she has faced before, and it didn't end well.

Hex: The Legend Goes On - Horror - Directed by James Wan - Starring: Daniel Radcliffe, Benedict Cumberbatch, Helena Bonham Carter
Shot in the style of The Blair Witch Project, a group of teenagers (led by Daniel Radcliffe) delve into the Hex legend for a school project, with the intention of declaring once and for all whether or not the Hex legend is true. But some secrets are best left undiscovered, and a mysterious presence seems to warn them that their venturing should be discontinued. But the school project is completed and handed in.

Later that year the group of teenagers begin to have "visions", their delusions suggest that they are being haunted by the Earl (Cumberbatch) and the Hag (Bonham-Carter)... but the real question is... what will happen if a branch of the oak tree should fall?

Duel - Fantasy/Comedy - Directed by Tim Burton - Starring: Paul Rudd, Ricky Gervais, Will Ferrell
A 'Ghostbusters' obsessed enthusiast community meet in an abandoned warehouse for their annual goo-battle. Unfortunately, they've chosen the wrong house and awake the undead within... it's no longer just a game, it's a battle for survival.  The group (led by the trio of Paul Rudd, Ricky Gervais & Will Ferrell) must battle their way through the spiritual labyrinth within, in order to escape the ghouls.

So... err... I don't believe any of those ideas to be particularly special, I just thought I'd use them to found this thread and see how you would all go about translating Alton Towers' attractions into films. :)

DiogoJ42

Re: Movie Concepts Based on Rides

Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:58 pm

:lol: I'd watch all of them :P

SpinballEdders

Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:01 pm

Rita Thirteen:

People driving in a van accidently Take a wrong turn into the Dark Forest. They meet a nice little girl called Rita who tells them "they must escape" and beware of wraiths, while doing this they speed off at 60MPH and find a abandoned building, Not knowing that they are aware of a 50FT vertical freefall drop and get trap, they then must find a way out of the dark forest

sounds like a crap idea TBH :P

Dingerbell

Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:08 pm

SW7-the movie

14 years after the successful mission of Oblivion- and the "medical" facility being closed down- and Vector Stallone's release from prison, the police have failed to identify the people going into the facility late at night. Every time the police enter the facility, it is as if no one has been there.
Trying to break the mystery, an old hand (Rajan Perkins) is brought in to try and stop the madness once and for all. However, once the truth about the facility has been discovered, Perkins disappeared- without telling anyone about his findings. Can anyone solve this mystery of Perkins disappearance or the villains inside the facility?

Benjy Alton Towers Kid
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:25 pm

Escape    Starring: Drake Bell, Josh Peck, Jaden Smith, Sairose Ronan and Chloe Grace Mortez
Director: John Carpenter                        Certificate: 12A/15      Genre: Horror

Five teenagers take a road trip to an abandoned forest. Messing around and thinking it'll be a laugh, the teens delve deeper into the forest. However, the forest soon reveals its supernatural powers and takes the teens as its victims.

The teens try to escape but a string of mysterious events happen, their car is possessed *cough Rita *cough! And trees are coming to life and haunting them. As the teens run for their lives, the Forest begins to take its victims one by one in the strangest and spookiest ways.

Great topic. Tell me what you think
Last edited by Benjy Alton Towers Kid on Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Theme Parks are my way of life.

Benjy Alton Towers Kid :)
Keep smiling!!! :)

sku11dude123
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:09 pm

Squirrel Nutty, Director: Chuck Norris, Starring Johnny Depp

Rabid squirrels take over the world and Johnny Depp fights against them like in pirates and the Caribbean

=D

Stelios7
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:15 pm

Old MacDonald's Slaughterhouse - Genre: Tragedy Director: Tim Burton Starring The Voice Talents of: Jack Black, Courtney Cox, Tom Hanks and Brian Blessed 

A outbreak of foot and mouth has swept over a small Staffordshire farm. Crap. Watch a cow's tragic journey from paradise to parasites.

What a topic!
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.

Benjy Alton Towers Kid
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:24 pm

Berry Bish Bash: A genius professor invents a new gun and opens a fun house for kids to come and play in. However, it all goes wrong when the guns are used to fire live amuntion.

Charlie and The Chocolate Factory: A young boy wins a golden... Oh yeah, it's already been done :)

ATJoseph
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:33 pm

Does this have to be towers?
Film: The Swarm Genre: Found Footage/ Thriller Director: Matt Reeves

The year is 2012 a group of teenagers from up north have decided to come to London for the week and vist THORPE PARK. As they drive down the M25 they can see black flying creatures in the sky then the disapeare.
When they arrive at THORPE PARK they see an old church on an island west of the enterance. The black flies are back they suddenly destory the church a pasenger plane falls from the sky it crashes on the island,it picks up the teenagers and people surrronding them and flings them through inversions and near misses....
3 of the 5 teenagers survive and drive to london only to discover news reports from around the globe of apoclyptic devastation London's destroyed and the film ends with them going through The Swarms layout and the [email protected] song playing

RyanY
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:46 pm

It's not a movie concept, but I've always thought that's theres a good Dr Who episode to be made that could use the nemesis legend.

Delta79
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 19, 2012 11:48 pm

not a ride. but i think it may work.

upsellers the movie.

Joseph Swan, An owner of a advanced technology company, takes his family to Alton Towers. they unknowning eating a nanobot filled lunch made by this evil competitor Stephen van de-graphs. 

His closes friend and head researcher, Stafford Warren, finds out about van de-graphs plans and phones Swan with the worrying news, the nanobot are designed to explode killing them at 8 pm or if they get within 15 feet of a Alton Towers upseller explode immediately.

With park closing time almost upon them, upsellers gathering in towers street. They must escape the park and find a way to neutralize the nanobots, without falling foul of Van de-graphs evil plan.

will they all survive or will Van de-graph and the upsellers win the day.

haydn!
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 20, 2012 12:06 am

I know it's not related, at all, but the new Tim Burton film, Dark Shadows, at points reminded me of the Hex Story.

saxineno
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 20, 2012 12:17 pm

I've often thought it would be fun to write a gothic children's story, where squirrel nutty is forced to leave his home in the dark forest because someone disturbed an old crypt, but he doesn't trust the sinister bookworm that's offering all the woodland creatures a better life...  Not sure how well it would translate into a movie though!  :lol:

Stelios7
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 20, 2012 3:50 pm

saxineno wrote:
I've often thought it would be fun to write a gothic children's story, where squirrel nutty is forced to leave his home in the dark forest because someone disturbed an old crypt, but he doesn't trust the sinister bookworm that's offering all the woodland creatures a better life...  Not sure how well it would translate into a movie though!  :lol:

After recently watching The Woman in Black. It could revolve around a dead family from the crypt who were all criminals or victims looking for revenge in some way themselves. The crypt collapses and their awaken and left to roam and haunt visitors of a Dark Forest, and some budding ghost hunter explores it.

Benjy Alton Towers Kid
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 20, 2012 4:06 pm

Yeah and that budding ghost hunter just happens to be a squirrel...

Stelios7
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 20, 2012 4:09 pm

Benjy Alton Towers Kid wrote:
Yeah and that budding ghost hunter just happens to be a squirrel...

...minus the squirrel part I'd imagine/hope.

Oblivion movie seems to be the best so far.

MattsDesigns
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 20, 2012 8:24 pm

Hx would make a brilliant film.
Strong bits would be like the Earls struggle
The old women - did she survive her powers when they turned Chaotic by calling upon the name of Jesus?
Their childhoods and the whole thing where the Earl almost developes OCD. He would have ended up praying and stuff aswell, going to the Church.

It would be a great movie. I'd write it if I thought 1 person in the industry would look at it for 1 minute.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.

Rowe

Mon May 21, 2012 12:23 am

MattsDesigns wrote:
The old women - did she survive her powers when they turned Chaotic by calling upon the name of Jesus?
Their childhoods and the whole thing where the Earl almost developes OCD. He would have ended up praying and stuff aswell, going to the Church.

It would be a great movie. I'd write it if I thought 1 person in the industry would look at it for 1 minute.

Then it would be worth your look at this topic about the Hex film that has been in production for some years now. I'm sure there is another topic confirming the future release by Dean Maynard recently too.

:)

MattsDesigns
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 21, 2012 1:09 pm

Rowe wrote:
MattsDesigns wrote:

Then it would be worth your look at this topic about the Hex film that has been in production for some years now. I'm sure there is another topic confirming the future release by Dean Maynard recently too.

:)

Ok, had a look at his official site and ended up here which is dated March 14 2012 http://riderater.co.uk/?p=1581
I guess that means the projects still on. That article says its expected to come out early next year. Looking very forward to that, hope it doesn't fizzle out.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.

dominoes
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 26, 2012 11:54 pm

Flume.

5 friends go on a fact finding boating trip for Imperial leather, when they come across a house in the middle of the woods. What they don't know about is the horrible creature within.

X:NWO

A group of friends build a super computer, when one night lightning strikes the house, and end up in the computer. Sadly, due to a lack of funding, the robots and environment within has fallen apart and stopped working. What follows is disappointing.