UK theme parks from another point of view!

siralgenon
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (May Contain Spoilers)

Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:18 pm

Nemesis SH!T-TERRA or Nemesis SUB-TERRA-BLE the choice is yours...

A quick review from me, The outdoor queue, batching, elevators and theming are excellent! But the actually main ride is a joke! It lasts literally 60 seconds if that, and to be honest it's a 3 meter drop and some water effects, hugely disappointed!

NickT04
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:23 pm

Squiggles wrote:
NickT04 wrote:
I know Alton haven't really bigged Sub-Terra to be anything amazing

The problem is that they have.

The park have consistantly advertised the ride as "a psychologically and physically thrilling experience" and "your worst nightmare underground", which are all (currently) untrue statments, which have created unrealistic expectations of the ride and were entirely unecessary for its marketing.

It's like Thirteen all over again. (in soooo many ways)

Ah fair enough then mate. I've not really followed NST like I did with 13 so didn't really pay much attention to the marketing or rumour mill! From this I guess an ignorance made me feel like it was low key but if they've been bigging it up, oh dear! I didn't know what to expect until I rode it today so I was probably one of their easier guests to impress, and they failed massively!

lozzyhickers
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:27 pm

jb19852 wrote:
lozzyhickers wrote:
jb19852 wrote:

I havent ridden it yet so cant actually say whether i like it or not but in response to your comment, no they dont have to make white knuckle rides but they do have a responsibility to entertain all the time, no matter what ride they build. IF (and i say that as again, i havent ridden it) they fail to do this then they paying public have every right to complain

I'm afraid I have to disagree with your comment. There are a few rides at the towers i've never been entertained by, but i've never complained! People have different tastes, and people should respect that.

fair enough, but as wardley once said himself they are entertainers and the aim is to entertain all the time. You are correct when you say people have different opinions i guess my point was mainly aimed at installations over the last 3-6 years.  Put it this way, you wouldnt pay to see a comedian (say Peter Kay) and leave disapointed, and if you did you would complain. In my view same principles apply here

It's not the same prinicples here. You have a WHOLE theme park here. If you were just paying to come on sub-terra, then sure, you have the right to complain! But the whole park ISN'T meant to be for everyone, as long as there's enough for your money, which for the majority, there is.

jb19852
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:32 pm

lozzyhickers wrote:
jb19852 wrote:
lozzyhickers wrote:
jb19852 wrote:

I havent ridden it yet so cant actually say whether i like it or not but in response to your comment, no they dont have to make white knuckle rides but they do have a responsibility to entertain all the time, no matter what ride they build. IF (and i say that as again, i havent ridden it) they fail to do this then they paying public have every right to complain

I'm afraid I have to disagree with your comment. There are a few rides at the towers i've never been entertained by, but i've never complained! People have different tastes, and people should respect that.

fair enough, but as wardley once said himself they are entertainers and the aim is to entertain all the time. You are correct when you say people have different opinions i guess my point was mainly aimed at installations over the last 3-6 years.  Put it this way, you wouldnt pay to see a comedian (say Peter Kay) and leave disapointed, and if you did you would complain. In my view same principles apply here

It's not the same prinicples here. You have a WHOLE theme park here. If you were just paying to come on sub-terra, then sure, you have the right to complain! But the whole park ISN'T meant to be for everyone, as long as there's enough for your money, which for the majority, there is.

to be honest i could debate this all night but will agree to disagree  :D

QTXAdsy
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:32 pm

...Good lord, what I've been hearing so far in the reviews makes Th13teen look like a masterpiece.

UNLESS, and I'm only taking a sneaky guess here, that Merlin made this just to make Th13teen look good...just saying...

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:36 pm

I've not been on this ride yet, but you guys are certainly doing a fantastic job of putting me off. It can't be that bad, surely? It was only a few months (even weeks, actually) ago that people were defending this ride, even though we knew all along what it was going to be. Now everyone is just stating their disappointment over the ride section. We knew it was going to contain four Extremis drop towers all along and nothing more or less. Alton built what we knew they were building and people thought it sounded good and now everyone complains once it's open. Oh dear! :roll: :P

So did anyone hear people at Alton compare the ride to Th13teen? I should imagine that people that want the drop aspect will just stick with that and get the bonus coaster bit! :P

I'm glad I didn't get my hopes up for yet another drop ride with effects, as I 1) find drop rides dull and 2) don't understand the decision for a second drop ride after a year of nothing and then Th13teen in the two years prior. Hopefully, this will mean I'll enjoy it a bit more than some of you guys. Hopefully.

MattsDesigns
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:39 pm

Thanks everyone who has rushed on to write a review like the very same day.

Just to confirm, does this ride drop you once? For some reason I got it into my head this would drop you multiple times from different heights (I think it was cause I saw it being compared to Mystery Castle). If they don't maybe could drop people twice and that would make it better.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.

.Will

Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:40 pm

Wasted potential would sum up my experience of Sub Terra.

I loved the queue line and I thought that the TVs and the information given out on the TVs was fantastic espically with the throwback to the original Nemesis advert. I did feel though that the queue line was a little bit bland and could have done with some more going on - high fences, vehicles, service hatches etc.

Upon entering the building I was impressed the actors are really great and the crowd interaction is just fantastic, the first lift is great too the animation on the lift screen is perfect.

The underground tunnel walkway I loved, for me that was the most immersive part of the ride. I enjoyed the core section but going down and going back up again felt like you were in two different rooms which is shouldn't also there is little interaction with Nemesis.

Why not go down see nothing, up and then back down and have something revealed throughout the entire ride you never actually see the Nemesis monster, why? This is the centrepiece of the ride and there is nothing, not a tentacle, not and eye, nothing!

The exit lift is great but still there is so much missing, from entering the main core to exiting it feels like they have missed so much out, I hope that it isn't finished but I servilely doubt it.

Asking around I know that all the effects weren't working and some things were out of sync so at least it will be a little better than today.

I wasn't disappointed by any means as I have said I thought it was more a case of 'could've done more'. The themeing however is top notch, no complaints about that or any of the animations there were all great.

I guess we'll have to give it a couple of weeks.

Jammydodger
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:45 pm

I was kind of expecting these reviews from the moment I first heard Extremis Drop. 
I'm kind of boggled at the reactions though. The only thing people are disappointed with is the ride itself, and we all knew almost exactly what it would be like, based on the dungeons. As such, I was always expecting it to be a disappointment. In fact the only reason I followed construction was in a hope that the rumors were wrong.

There's only so much you can do with a drop tower. It's not like Hex where you can create an audio-visual sensory orgasm. They could theme everything else to the standard of Disney, and the ride is still going to be a mini drop - something that lasts seconds. The only reason it works at the dungeons is because its a nice fun treat at the end of the attraction. It clearly adds nothing of REAL value, or ALL the dungeons would have them.

I just want to know what was going on in their heads when they conceived the ride. It's not like they needed another Dark Ride. They also have two other rides featuring a drop as their main element. Who exactly is the ride meant for, obviously not kids, then Thrillseekers? So they didn't think, okay THE SWARM is out this year too, what can we do to compete with it? 

That's it though I guess. They're not going to rip it out, it will pull in the punters for a bit, and unfortunately will probably be there for a long, long time.

If I were Merlin I would NOT be happy right now. And the next time Alton came to me asking for money I would be very reluctant to invest.
I doubt ABC will be selling many more of their towers now, either.

lozzyhickers
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:05 pm

BigAl wrote:
I've not been on this ride yet, but you guys are certainly doing a fantastic job of putting me off. It can't be that bad, surely? It was only a few months (even weeks, actually) ago that people were defending this ride, even though we knew all along what it was going to be. Now everyone is just stating their disappointment over the ride section. We knew it was going to contain four Extremis drop towers all along and nothing more or less. Alton built what we knew they were building and people thought it sounded good and now everyone complains once it's open. Oh dear! :roll: :P

So did anyone hear people at Alton compare the ride to Th13teen? I should imagine that people that want the drop aspect will just stick with that and get the bonus coaster bit! :P

I'm glad I didn't get my hopes up for yet another drop ride with effects, as I 1) find drop rides dull and 2) don't understand the decision for a second drop ride after a year of nothing and then Th13teen in the two years prior. Hopefully, this will mean I'll enjoy it a bit more than some of you guys. Hopefully.

You seem to have the same sort of outlook as me. At the end of the day, this is an experience, and a drop towers is...well...a drop tower. And i'm not a fan of them at all, I don't like drops, so I never got my hopes up. But the detailed theming and immersive atmosphere made it so worth it for me, and for a fair few people I know. It seems to me that less and less people are interested in theming and more in the 'thrills'. Especially once the extra effects are working again, this in my opinion, is up there with the ex-Alien Encounter at Disney.

The Crab of Nemesis
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:10 pm

I think some people are missing the point when others say they found the ride part disappointing.

I knew it would be a drop and was prepared for that - this wasn't the disappointment.

What was a let down is that the drop felt like it was the first of a few. I expected the nemesis monster to drag us down a couple of times before we got out.

I also thought we might get subtle glimses of the monster - you don't. I understand some effects were missing today (typical Towers), but there was a distinct lack of them and just little things like the leg ticklers could add a lot to this.

So I think when people say the core ride was disappointing, they don't mean the fact it was a drop - we knew this - it's the fact there wasn't a few more of them or some effects.

What I will say is that what is there is excellent IMO. Brilliant concept, great theming, fantastic staff, entertaining queline TV's and a fun pre and post show - I really enjoyed it, but it all just felt like it finished too abrubtly.

I will live in hope that some tweaking can be done this year to bring this up to the standard it has the potential to be at.
ImageSince 2008

CGM
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:10 pm

I rode Sub-Terra this morning and whilst it was clear that a lot of effort had been made with the queue videos, branding, the actors and the general presentation of the ride (although I'm still not convinced that the shipping container-like building counts as good theming), nothing could cover up the fact that the ride really didn't have much substance. It felt more like the pre-show to a bigger ride without the bigger ride at the end.

It's a shame because the story telling was really good as was the theming inside the ride and the on-ride effects. You can tell that a lot of care and attention went into the planning of it but the weak links were the most important parts, the ride system and the ending.

All the main ride provided was a single fairly weak drop. Thirteen has a better drop and that has an entire rollercoaster attached to it! As for the lifts, they were entirely unconvincing. I was expecting something genuinely exciting to happen in the second one, particularly after seeing some of the concept art. There were a few sound effects and shudders but nothing to really give you the impression you were in any danger. I was very surprised when the doors simply opened and we were released back into the park.

This all had the effect of making the ride feel more like a high profile fire evacuation than an event you were actually a part of. The story felt like you were entering a dangerous environment, things start going wrong and then you get out very quickly with very little bother. I was really enjoying the build up but it just ended too suddenly.

As I said it's a shame. I hope they can modify the ride to maybe run a longer drop sequence even if it means longer wait time.

No idea. I saw some people coming off earlier 'boo'ing. Disgusting, just because a few don't like it, it shouldn't be removed. I think the majority expected a rollercoaster or somesort of underground 'ride'. The drop was never meant to be the main part of this attraction. I think some people just don't accept that theme parks don't have to create white-knuckle rides all of the time!

I love dark rides and I don't think that they require the world's most thrilling ride system at their core to be great. However, the fact that this is marketed at a more thrill-orientated crowd makes the drop a little underwhelming particularly compared to Thirteen which is a family ride or even say, a Frog Hopper. Also, it's not just the thrill factor that seems disappointing but where it was used within the ride experience. It feels as though it's right in the middle of it rather than the main event at the end.

Hex uses its ride system to much greater effect. I rode it later and it really shows N:ST how it should be done. Although, I seem to remember that Hex changed its story telling style after a few months of operation and improved vastly. Maybe that will happen again in this case
Last edited by CGM on Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mathmos
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:12 pm

[quote="lozzyhickers"]
[quote="jb19852"]

[Quote]
I'm afraid I have to disagree with your comment. There are a few rides at the towers i've never been entertained by, but i've never complained! People have different tastes, and people should respect that

Sorry I have to disagree that people should respect huge companies that fail to impress.
I am sure Alton Towers are big enough (one would think and hope) to take peoples reviews on board.
People make it sound like reviewing something badly is like insulting the brand, this is far from the truth.
Yes people have different tastes but I think it is wrong to remain quiet and give these places the impression that what they are presenting us with is good, this is exactly why we are being dished up substandard attractions on the crest of grossly over hyped facts, it is just setting itself up for a big fall every time.
The reviews on Facebook today said it all for me,  the majority were general members of the public airing their disappointment at something that has been poorly put together and failed to live up to expectations, at last we may see these places pulling out the stops to bring us truly impressive attractions instead of cheap lacklustre efforts!
Last edited by mathmos on Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lozzyhickers
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:30 pm

CGM wrote:

All the main ride provided was a single fairly weak drop. Thirteen has a better drop and that has an entire rollercoaster attached to it! As for the lifts, they were entirely unconvincing. I was expecting something genuinely exciting to happen in the second one, particularly after seeing some of the concept art. There were a few sound effects and shudders but nothing to really give you the impression you were in any danger. I was very surprised when the doors simply opened and we were released back into the park.

I'm guessing you missed the metal of the lift ceiling and side splitting apart then?

The Crab of Nemesis
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:35 pm

lozzyhickers wrote:

I'm guessing you missed the metal of the lift ceiling and side splitting apart then?

I'll be honest, I didn't see that either and I did both sides of the lift - don't remember that at all  :?
ImageSince 2008

lozzyhickers
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:36 pm

mathmos wrote:
Sorry I have to disagree that people should respect huge companies that fail to impress.
I am sure Alton Towers are big enough (one would think and hope) to take peoples reviews on board.
People make it sound like reviewing something badly is like insulting the brand, this is far from the truth.
Yes people have different tastes but I think it is wrong to remain quiet and give these places the impression that what they are presenting us with is good, this is exactly why we are being dished up substandard attractions on the crest of grossly over hyped facts, it is just setting itself up for a big fall every time.
The reviews on Facebook today said it all for me,  the majority were general members of the public airing their disappointment at something that has been poorly put together and failed to live up to expectations, at last we may see these places pulling out the stops to bring us truly impressive attractions instead of cheap lacklustre efforts!

You're assuming that I don't? I have complained to towers on a couple of occasions, but only where I believe it's due. Sure,some people don't like the experience, some do. Have you ever been disappointed by a ride before? If so, did you demand the park to shut it down and 'build something better'. I'm guessing you haven't because this is what some people are doing, and it's wrong. People have the right to comaplin, but within reason. There are different types of people who complain, some do it in a fair understandable way, but some, like some on the fb page, take it very personally, and don't take into consideration about those who do enjoy the ride. I don't like Rita, Submission or Enterprise, but I don't go and attack towers for it and tell them to close it.

Your comment highlighted in bold is rather contradictory. You say we have different tastes, yes. But what you say next is that if we don't complain we're giving them the impression what they have given us is good? What about those of us who do think it's good?

lozzyhickers
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:37 pm

The Crab of Nemesis wrote:
lozzyhickers wrote:

I'll be honest, I didn't see that either and I did both sides of the lift - don't remember that at all  :?

You should pay more attention next time, it's a good effect!
As far as i'm aware, that effect has been working all day, at least all the times I went on it.

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (May Contain Spoilers)

Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:39 pm

AFAIK, it was working in the right hand lift (as you enter), but not fully on the left hand lift.

lozzyhickers
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:43 pm

Islander wrote:
AFAIK, it was working in the right hand lift (as you enter), but not fully on the left hand lift.

I went on both today and it was working fully in the left while I was on it at least, approx 4pm.

CGM
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:50 pm

lozzyhickers wrote:
CGM wrote:

No, I didn't notice that I have to say. I was looking at the floor as I thought that's where the Nemesis hatch-ling was supposed to be coming from. But next time, I'll know to look up
Last edited by CGM on Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.