UK theme parks from another point of view!

Dormiens-Dave

Re: Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (May Contain Spoilers)

Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:13 am

The lack of effects in the seats is due to some compressors not functioning. They may get them up at anytime but im not expecting thdm to make a huge difference.

I will do a full review when i get home but its just too short.

oblivious
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:22 am

Blink and you miss it , the ride experience is rushed and over for to quick. will have another ride when they get all the effects working  :(

ATJoseph
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:25 am

Whats The Backstory/Pre show Can someone tell me please? Thanks

Voke
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:26 am

Due to all the negative press and reviews that the ride is getting, do we think they may change the story a little bit like they did in the opening fortnight with Hex? It just seems like as soon as you get into the attraction itself, all story telling has just been lost, and the build-up/tension in the queue-line has just been wasted.

ATJoseph
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:29 am

Whats the story like now? As I already know the old Hex one, So can you tell me please and when I go I will see if its changed. Thanks.

lozzyhickers
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:43 am

I'll be going againn just after Easter so i'll keep an eye out.
I think the problem is, if you know a bit about the comic etc, then the story is quite clear. But the queueline vids don't really mention anything like that so the GP don't really understand the story.

Voke
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:47 am

ATJoseph wrote:
Whats the story like now? As I already know the old Hex one, So can you tell me please and when I go I will see if its changed. Thanks.

I only rode it twice yesterday, but here's what I can remember. It was a vague plot that was extended upon in the queue-line of Sub-Terra.

Basically a network of caves have been discovered, and in one of the caverns, the Nemesis egg has been found.It is now placed in a 'secure' lab, but it all goes wrong and the egg hatches, then we're told to get out of the facility as fast as possible before the monster itself catches us.

Dave

Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:55 am

Voke wrote:
Due to all the negative press and reviews that the ride is getting, do we think they may change the story a little bit like they did in the opening fortnight with Hex? It just seems like as soon as you get into the attraction itself, all story telling has just been lost, and the build-up/tension in the queue-line has just been wasted.

For me the only problem with the story was it was all a little vaige!  the queue line has a lot of TV screens showing videos that make reference to Nemesis and the "restoration work" that was carried out that resulted in Nemesis being uncovered, but after that it gets a bit confusing as to what is actually going on!

Most of us yesterday were able to put it all together simply because we know the story behind Nemesis, but the average guest would probably be left feeling a little confused.  Once you get into the ride the connection to nemesis is more of less forgotten but by that point the story stands up OK on its own because the interior is so well themes.  I just feel that the addition of some sort of pre-show video in the batching area would help to reinforce the story and make a connection between the story in the queue line and the story in the ride. as it is you sort of just stand there and staff shout at you, that space could be utilized a lot better

Basically it just needs a bit of tweaking to bring all the elements they have in place together.   

ryanlovesaltontowers
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:27 am

I agree with the above points, a 'introduction' video in the batching area would work great and would probably help to give more time for the ride as their would be a longer wait time. The 'security scanners' that you walk through when going into the ride should kind of be removed as they have no real purpose and swapped for sliding doors or something to make that batching area dark and 'sinister'. This would make people concentrate on the video. The video could involve a rough outline of what they have discovered and perhaps an alert on the electricity surges they have been having which sets the sinister tone for the rest of the ride.

Also the volume of the videos in the queue line should be turned up or they should get more speakers in situ as some spots of they queue are 'dead spots' and the only thing to look at is a Phalanx themed bin, no audio except Nemesis' queue line entrance speakers can be heard either.
Last edited by ryanlovesaltontowers on Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:39 am

The biggest Mistake was using the Nemesis brand in the first place. Like the story with the egg is it supposed to be Nemesis been born or it's baby.

This is how they should have done it. Forget about the drop towers. I would have had the lifts to really take you down to the pit and here you see the egg and you watch it hatch then a animatronic monster goes to attack you but the staff bring a cage down on him and the lights go out and the room gets filled with mist or light fog. You feel compressed air and loud noices like it escaped. The lights come back on and there a hole in the cage and the staff quickly get you all out of the room. Before you exit you watch a video of the monster heading for the current Nemesis site and that's how Nemesis was born.

It's also very worrying that the 4D cinema is getting very good reviews and this ain't.
Last edited by Themeparksandy1981 on Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

JaykeAT
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:43 am

I hate the face that people are just alton bashing here,sure this isn't what we expected but WE got exited by this, WE thought it would be perfect,if people stopped getting so exited about thing this wouldnt happen,and sw7 probably won't be a joke, next year we will have a multi-inversion rollercoaster in an area that has needed something for years. just please promise me  no-one will get to exited about it then whatever we get will seem good

lozzyhickers
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:48 am

the son on the hole wrote:
I hate the face that people are just alton bashing here,sure this isn't what we expected but WE got exited by this, WE thought it would be perfect,if people stopped getting so exited about thing this wouldnt happen,and sw7 probably won't be a joke, next year we will have a multi-inversion rollercoaster in an area that has needed something for years. just please promise me  no-one will get to exited about it then whatever we get will seem good

For once I partly agree with what you're saying. For some, it was their fault for getting too into the hype.

Longy

Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:57 am

Hang on a minute, everyone is saying the ride theming and the actors are amazing, yet the ride mechanism itself is rubbish.
So you're saying this is Hex, which is good in most people's books?

I for one, feel that this is a great addition to AT, and it will be improved once all the effects are working and are synced properly!

mrbrightside
TT Member
TT Member

Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (May Contain Spoilers)

Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:00 pm

It's such a shame when I see all these negative reviews. Especially when the advert came on last night in a roomful of non-'enthusiasts' and got people going 'that looks cool' and someone even saying how they watched/read the whole Nemesis backstory comic... The ride has really captured the imagination of the GP and it's clear that it's letting everyone down.

Using the Nemesis name was always risky as it sets the bar high. Too high in fact. People know Nemmy is the best ride on park so they expect something incredible...

The lack of multiple drops sounds disappointing but I assume an extra drop or two could always be added within the next few weeks - particularly if queue times aren't peaking too high.

What kind of (realistic) life span do we think the ride will have then anyway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ImageImage

Stelios7
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:20 pm

I think the criticism it's getting is a little too harsh. Besides it's only a filler attraction, not a rollercoaster. It's a shame that the heavy marketing for a small ride, the Nemesis brand had to be used right as many associate Nemmy with the Towers. The expectation of many drops is a letdown, but overall I think that this is a decent attraction. They should of associated some of the ride in the advert as many may of thought that it was a rollercoaster.
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.

TB2
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:41 pm

the son on the hole wrote:

People keep saying this as if TTF members are hyping this ride beyond all the recognition but they aren't. I never was personally excited or hyping up Thirteen and it proved to be only mildly average and I am doing the same with Sub Terra. Majority of posts I've read are people doing the same thing.

At the end of the day though, people are allowed to get excited, it's all part of the joy of theme parks and if a ride doesn't meet whatever expectations people may have then they have that right to say it wasn't up to scratch. The park will take away the feedback from all of its guests that bother to say something and the park will alter the ride accordingly, as they see fit. This ban on negativity that you seem to want is counter-productive.
1. Expedition Everest 2. Hollywood Tower of Terror 3.Superman De Acero 4. Katun and Nemesis 6. OzIris 7. Blue Fire 8. Black Mamba 9. Manta 10. Oblivion

ohirome
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:46 pm

TB2 wrote:

At the end of the day though, people are allowed to get excited, it's all part of the joy of theme parks and if a ride doesn't meet whatever expectations people may have then they have that right to say it wasn't up to scratch.

But to judge something based on your own skewed expectations is a tad unfair. Thats like saying 'I went to X and expected to do this, that and the other but didn't do any of that so it was bloomin' awful'.

phillipvass
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:55 pm

So you're saying this is Hex, which is good in most people's books?

The difference being that Hex has a fantastic storyline, has not alienated under 12's, is set in beautiful surroundings which has real atmosphere, has a fantastic soundtrack and ride itself lasts for nearly 3mins...

I really wanted Sub-Terra to be good, but it's poor by Alton Towers standards (Well, the Alton Towers of yesteryear), and the fact people are trying to justify it by saying 'at least it's better than the climbing wall' says it all really.

TB2
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:03 pm

ohirome wrote:
TB2 wrote:

At the end of the day though, people are allowed to get excited, it's all part of the joy of theme parks and if a ride doesn't meet whatever expectations people may have then they have that right to say it wasn't up to scratch.

But to judge something based on your own skewed expectations is a tad unfair. Thats like saying 'I went to X and expected to do this, that and the other but didn't do any of that so it was bloomin' awful'.

Unfortunately that is life though isn't it. Like when you go to a new park, say Parc Asterix, regardless of what Oz'Siris does differently, it will be a B&M inverter and everyone holds some kind of idea what it will do through its layout.  We can go with as open a mind as possible but we will always have a viewpoint before we go on it. Take Swarm for example. The majority of reviews end up saying something like "in comparison to Nemesis" despite the only similarities between the rides being they are B&M and they are at Merlin parks. Thats a skewed mind, regardless of what it is trying to do.
Last edited by TB2 on Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1. Expedition Everest 2. Hollywood Tower of Terror 3.Superman De Acero 4. Katun and Nemesis 6. OzIris 7. Blue Fire 8. Black Mamba 9. Manta 10. Oblivion

Voke
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:37 pm

Rumour has it that ABC Rides will be on-park tomorrow, trying to sort a few things out.

As ABC don't actually look after the effects, we can only presume that this is regarding the drop itself. It'll be good to see where this goes.