UK theme parks from another point of view!

 
User avatar
The Psychoaster
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 209
Joined: October 2011
Location: Manchester

Re: Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (May Contain Spoilers)

Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:31 am

Loves the strobes they've added as you exit the main ride chamber before the second lift. Really disorientates you, and especially when the Phalanx operative runs in, the strobe makes it look likes he moving in stop motion  :)
 
User avatar
Squiggles
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 2182
Joined: April 2003
Location: The Land of Make Believe! (No... really)
Contact:

Re: Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (May Contain Spoilers)

Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:00 am

Dormiens-Dave wrote:
Okay so i have tried new Sub-Terra and my opinion is.... No longer Sub-Terrible, now Sub OK

The darker batching room has more atmosphere and the video is a much better introduction of the story (and it has a Crab maintaining the multi-legged creature theme for new attractions).


Would you say Sub-terra has moved forward, not sideways?
Edwardo..... move me!
 
User avatar
MattsDesigns
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 701
Joined: March 2012
Location: Somerset
Contact:

Re: Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (May Contain Spoilers)

Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:21 pm

Ok so I do think this ride is essentially quite good but

I wonder if when the gondolas come up; That is a time to give people just a tiny bit of hope in the form of maybe blue lights shining down on them or something? –Just to augment the fact you are escaping, even if it is only to the lifts.

Basically I think the ride is all panic and dread (that’s not to say it’s bad) but when I rode it I wished there was just a moment of hope amidst the red and white lights, the noises and other horrors...
And it seems like the time to do it is when the gondolas are coming back up? I just think it would be more dynamic and give people the short break from the fear.

Also you would get to see some of the ride and the holes in the floor - which I think adds to the experience on a nerdy level.
Last edited by MattsDesigns on Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
 
extremis
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 16
Joined: April 2012
Location: preston

Re: Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (May Contain Spoilers)

Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:03 pm

I was hoping after picking up my stuff from the bagging area, that there might be the photo area, does anyone know if they are going to add one in the near future? love to have seen my face after the ride.
found in the depths of blackpool dungeons, being hung from extremis
 
User avatar
mrbrightside
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1099
Joined: July 2011
Location: Norwich

Re: Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (May Contain Spoilers)

Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:05 pm

The idea of on-ride photos was scrapped due to the bright light of the camera flash detracting from the atmosphere of the ride - as feasibly the only decent place to do it would be the drop, and the flash would ruin the effect of the ride.

A positive I think, in that they have tried to keep some atmosphere instead of going for the cash.
ImageImage
 
User avatar
siralgenon
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1176
Joined: October 2010
Location: Bubbly Wubbly Pool in the Alton Towers Waterpark

Re: Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (May Contain Spoilers)

Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:45 pm

Hark wrote:
Has anyone noticed the Nemesis Pre-Show monster is looking a little Crabby?


I'd been thinking this too! I thought it looked like one of the Japanese Spider Crabs from Sharkbait Reef!  :P (before they all died  ;) )
Image
Image
Image
 
ZenakuShi

Re: Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (May Contain Spoilers)

Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:17 pm

^ It's extreme crab footage!
 
User avatar
Jollylee11
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 284
Joined: August 2010
Location: Stuck at the top of Hex's octagon

Re: Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (May Contain Spoilers)

Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:47 pm

The problem i keep seeing on this topic is people calling Sub-Terra over marketed, it was no way over marketed to me, the 12a rating was from actual people and not made up by Alton themself, their was no silly "pants you have to buy afterwards" because the ride is too scary or age/re-riding restricting, the problem was we didn't know anything about Sub-Terra, so you made up our own ideas on what would happen, and got an idea in what you want and believed it but feel flat on your face when you went to ride it, If alton said "here we have a dark ride, 4 drop towers, 2 pre/post shows and a little show in the middle, people would be expecting that and that be it, but unlike the swarm which showed everything, Alton kept this hush to the last day and that was its downfall
 
User avatar
ATJoseph
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 480
Joined: July 2011
Location: Forbidden Valley!

Re: Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (May Contain Spoilers)

Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:59 pm

Does anyone have the pre-show (a video of it?) because i went when the tv screens just showed the logo.
 
User avatar
mrbrightside
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1099
Joined: July 2011
Location: Norwich

Re: Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (May Contain Spoilers)

Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:07 pm

Jollylee11 wrote:
The problem i keep seeing on this topic is people calling Sub-Terra over marketed, it was no way over marketed to me, the 12a rating was from actual people and not made up by Alton themself,
That was a publicity stunt. I dare say Alton approached the BBFC and they agreed to do such a thing. Hence why the age restriction is not actually seen on the ride - but was instead plastered over the press before opening.

their was no silly "pants you have to buy afterwards" because the ride is too scary or age/re-riding restricting,
Yep, that was the above BBFC thing.

the problem was we didn't know anything about Sub-Terra, so you made up our own ideas on what would happen, and got an idea in what you want and believed it but feel flat on your face when you went to ride it, If alton said "here we have a dark ride, 4 drop towers, 2 pre/post shows and a little show in the middle, people would be expecting that and that be it
The thing is though, we did know all that. We knew it from the plans. We knew it from what people had been saying. We always knew it would be Extremis with a bit extra... The thing is though, the ride still could and should have been SO much more than it was at opening. Yes, improvements have been made, and will presumably continue, but the ride should have been better.

The majority of people on here did not over-think the ride at all, but instead were let down by the fact that Alton couldn't even get the basics to work on this.

but unlike the swarm which showed everything, Alton kept this hush to the last day and that was its downfall
It wasn't the downfall at all. The fact the ride was poor was the downfall. And now they are making amends. The tagline "your worst nightmare underground" didn't help either...
ImageImage
 
Blaze

Re: Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (May Contain Spoilers)

Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:11 pm

Some people will blame the marketing, but I don't think it's really the case. There's an expectation that when Alton Towers open a new ride that it will be good, regardless of marketing.

The ride was received badly at first because it was bad. Nothing more, nothing less.
 
User avatar
Squiggles
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 2182
Joined: April 2003
Location: The Land of Make Believe! (No... really)
Contact:

Re: Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (May Contain Spoilers)

Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:26 am

mrbrightside wrote:
Jollylee11 wrote:
The problem i keep seeing on this topic is people calling Sub-Terra over marketed, it was no way over marketed to me, the 12a rating was from actual people and not made up by Alton themself,
That was a publicity stunt. I dare say Alton approached the BBFC and they agreed to do such a thing. Hence why the age restriction is not actually seen on the ride - but was instead plastered over the press before opening.


I think it's rather neaty summed up by this cheery little article on the BBFC which refers repeatedly to the fact it's the BBFC's 100th birthday this year.

And of course the fact Sub-Terra isn't a film or video game, so the BBFC wouldn't otherwise be interested.
Edwardo..... move me!
 
starscrea85

Re: Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (May Contain Spoilers)

Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:51 pm

I think the ride was good and the actors but I was not happy with the drop I thourgh it was to small and it should have been bigger but apart from that the ride overall was an excellent ride and I would recommend it to anyone that can go on the ride
 
Dean

Re: Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (May Contain Spoilers)

Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:09 pm

Anyone visited recently?

Are the strobes working again?
 
User avatar
Benzin
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 609
Joined: February 2011
Location: Stafford

Re: Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (May Contain Spoilers)

Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:51 pm

I've been told yes, they've been turned back on...
Image
 
Joel

Re: Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (May Contain Spoilers)

Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:35 pm

And strangely after that request earlier, it looks like Towers has posted the queueline video at least on their YouTube channel...

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N1hOi1UtQo
Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV3yuST40sQ
 
User avatar
starbugger1303
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 836
Joined: October 2008
Location: Phalanx Research Facility - Forbidden Valley

Re: Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (May Contain Spoilers)

Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:57 pm

The queueline video has been put online, for us all. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N1hOi1U ... el&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV3yuST4 ... el&list=UL

*Goes off and learns it off by heart*

EDIT--

Damn it Joel. Beat me to it!

:(
 
Big Dave

Re: Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (May Contain Spoilers)

Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:30 pm

Only part of it. Its missing a few bits.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2
 
User avatar
starbugger1303
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 836
Joined: October 2008
Location: Phalanx Research Facility - Forbidden Valley

Re: Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (May Contain Spoilers)

Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:34 pm

Well it's better than nothing...

:D

Next.... The Pre- show!

:D
Last edited by starbugger1303 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
djtruefitt

Re: Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (May Contain Spoilers)

Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:08 pm

Its nice that the Phalanx control have put the videos online (we just need the whole thing now!).

I do love the 3D Phalanx logo they use on the ride videos, make a pin badge of it please towers? :D

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 61 guests