UK theme parks from another point of view!

smudge.
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (May Contain Spoilers)

Tue May 01, 2012 3:11 pm

I disagree, i would say ( at a guess ) 80% of Alton's visitors have not been to a foreign theme park & would not notice  if a new flat was similar to one in Europe especially.

Yes if Alton took the exact same model as Thorpe people would compare, but even excluding Thorpe, chessies & DM's models, it still leave a very large choice, even with the height issue.

I don't see how it would be risky, as long as it is a 'good' (or better) ride, what is there to loose?

I think maybe 'those days' need to be re-introduced ( that aspect only ) as being a major player means providing lots of different SOLID attractions.

Look how old is enterprise & ripsaw are and they are still regarded as a 'top ride' by guests.

Having more 'top-rides' would help them on their way to become a 'major player' between their 'Secret Weapons'.

Ripsaw Raver
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 01, 2012 3:53 pm

Dormiens-Dave wrote:
smudge. wrote:

Ripsaw wasn't a prototype. Just with added water-jets, it changed the ride experience somewhat.

Except the water jets where first done at Chessie, Towers was a smaller model as well but it still remains Towers best flat ride. It really doesn't have to be that unique if its a filler.

i always beleived ripsaw and rameses were both the same model and as far as im aware there are only 4 topspin models (Giant-Suspended-TopSpin40 Seater and TopSpin2 the 28 Seater) and if were being really picky surely Ripsaw would be the larger model as it has a wider fountain area.

I hope sub terra does get the improvements it needs, the problem is calling a ride psychological is a cop out, you really have to understand your market and what would cause there fears, sat in a room with an egg while your prodded from behind and having you legs whipped is somthing you can pay for in a amsterdam sex dungeon, AT Should have reseached more into AlienEncounter and pulled everything they could have out of that.
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123

Jollylee11
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 01, 2012 4:05 pm

I find it laughable people are saying Sub-Terra is a waste of money and should of been spent on something else, 2011 we got nothing and the money got spent on improving the park and look how that effected the park attendance.
Sub-Terra is bringing people in and the fact people on here are still calling it rubbish isn't funny, i find Sub-Terra a good ride, hardly "50%" of people hate it, everyone on my ride on saturday loved it.
Its good to hear improvements are coming too, the first lift does feel abit fake but, the rest of the ride is fantastic and Merlin aint giving up on it till everyone agrees.
But the GP like it, its just the moaners on here who don't and seem to be dragging the ride down! 
But I don't care because I would ride and rate Sub-Terra over Hex any day

Longy

Tue May 01, 2012 4:10 pm

Has anything come of ABC visiting in a few days?
I heard the rumour, but I wasn't sure whether it was true or not.

Could they be reprogramming the ride system so it has more than one drop?

Poison Tom 96

Tue May 01, 2012 5:02 pm

Or to fix tower 4? It is already broke

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

AstroDan

Tue May 01, 2012 5:04 pm

Whilst I wouldn't object to Alton Towers updating their selection of flat rides, I am far more respectful of them for actually trying something unique.

You can get generic flat rides with loose theming at Drayton Manor, Thorpe Park and many other parks in the UK.

Something like N:ST is far more "custom", special and relevant to the park. I applaud them for trying it out. I hope that we see more "experiences" in the future, where they take backstory, themed staff and special effects more seriously!

The indoor theming on N:ST is excellent. At no stage do you see anything inside that appears remotely "at odds" with the experience. This is in contrast to Charlie and Duel - where if you look closely, you can see corrugated walls and blank sections.

N:ST, as much as it has some flaws, is actually one of the most "sewn up" dark ride experiences in the country.

:)

Longy

Tue May 01, 2012 5:13 pm

AstroDan wrote:
Whilst I wouldn't object to Alton Towers updating their selection of flat rides, I am far more respectful of them for actually trying something unique.

You can get generic flat rides with loose theming at Drayton Manor, Thorpe Park and many other parks in the UK.

Something like N:ST is far more "custom", special and relevant to the park. I applaud them for trying it out. I hope that we see more "experiences" in the future, where they take backstory, themed staff and special effects more seriously!

The indoor theming on N:ST is excellent. At no stage do you see anything inside that appears remotely "at odds" with the experience. This is in contrast to Charlie and Duel - where if you look closely, you can see corrugated walls and blank sections.

N:ST, as much as it has some flaws, is actually one of the most "sewn up" dark ride experiences in the country.

I agree with you there Dan!
It's a great experience, but some parts of the experience do not feel right, like the first lift or the bottom of the drop.

And, on Duel, when the strobes flash, look up and you can visibly see the corrugated ceiling, and lights... :|

Dormiens-Dave

Tue May 01, 2012 5:37 pm

First

Ripsaw raver, Rameses is a larger model but has a smaller pool, Basically Ripsaw is a traveling version of the same model. Just look at a picture and count the harnesses.

I just think that if they can't put in the budget to make amazing unique rides (and i can understand in this day and age why they cant) then its better to install very well presented tried and tested thrill rides instead. They lack good flats and it would have been a better use of 4 million.

When they are in a financial position to put in budgets for amazing dark rides with unique concepts then i will be at the front of the queue. And jolly Lee, all i will say is stand at the exit for a couple of ride cycles, its not very well recieved by the GP i was also there on Saturday and the responce was poor.

And i love the inside theming and the videos but its not the best sown up dark ride experience in the UK, basically because the basic ride system is very very dull and the ride time way too short, i like the story and i love the basic idea but it just isn't working. They call it a scary ride, it was intended to be a scary ride (don't dare just lay this at marketings door though they are also at fault) yet it isn't. It is a positive for good internal theming and the use of a decent story but thats about it.

On the other hand they nailed ice age on the head so there is hope yet for the future.
Last edited by Dormiens-Dave on Tue May 01, 2012 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AstroDan

Tue May 01, 2012 5:48 pm

When I say "sewn up" I refer to the fact that at no stage are you departing from the experience. You are constantly involved in the storyline from the moment you watch the pre show to the moment you exit the lifts. On many rides, there are sections where there is either nothing to do and/or no theming.

I didn't mean it's "sewn up" in a - "it's perfect" way, as it isn't. I still think it's pretty good, now, though.

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 01, 2012 6:06 pm

Jollylee11 wrote:
2011 we got nothing and the money got spent on improving the park

I'm sorry did you really just say that?! [/shock]

Fanta?

mrbrightside
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 01, 2012 6:07 pm

It's so close to being 'all there' but it just disappointingly falls short. I really am encouraged to see that Towers are trying hard to rectify the experience, and I really hope that reactions to this don't put them off installing any more experiences like this in the future.

Whilst solid flats would not be an objectionable addition to the park, there is only so much theming and detail that can be given to them. However, a dark ride or experience-type attraction can be anything that a park wants it to be. It is clear that Merlin/Towers are aiming high and want to be taken seriously - why else would they go for the hard option when a couple of flats would have been easy? However, it is clear that they are still finding their feet in terms of making attractions like this.

Their theming is coming up trumps in terms of The Swarm, Ice Age 4D and the internal parts of S-T and their storytelling is clearly good. The experience itself just lacks, for want of a better word, magic.

In other words, they should always hold off from installing a flat ride when they have ideas for an experience - but need to quickly learn from mistakes so that something so bad doesn't happen when something like this opens.
ImageImage

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 01, 2012 6:11 pm

I think the problem with Sub-Terra is it feels a little stale and lacks in any unique fantasy element.

Dormiens-Dave

Tue May 01, 2012 6:15 pm

I think the problem is the ride hardware is poor and non of the effects all that scary. Its now an Okay ride, if merlin where aiming high it could have so easily been a very good ride. Its a shame to hear so many people coming off the ride hating it.

AstroDan

Tue May 01, 2012 7:27 pm

The actual responses have improved since opening, and there are more improvements to come.

It's just a case of continuing to give it time.

Shoot me but I quite enjoyed it when I rode 2 weeks ago... actually screamed slightly when some of the effects kicked off!

:P

garyh
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 01, 2012 8:08 pm

I enjoyed it as well when I rode it - ok its not mega but its fun.  Dont forget Alton is aiming for the family market, not the thrill seekers, its a family resort.  Maybe as thrill seeking enthusiasts we are expecting too much.

Personally, overall, I think its pretty good and getting better.

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 01, 2012 8:11 pm

garyh wrote:
I enjoyed it as well when I rode it - ok its not mega but its fun.  Dont forget Alton is aiming for the family market, not the thrill seekers, its a family resort.  Maybe as thrill seeking enthusiasts we are expecting too much.

Personally, overall, I think its pretty good and getting better.

I wasn't aware that 'family' didn't include thrill seekers?

Pennywise
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 01, 2012 8:12 pm

garyh wrote:
Dont forget Alton is aiming for the family market, not the thrill seekers, its a family resort.  Maybe as thrill seeking enthusiasts we are expecting too much.

OK, I really like Sub Terra, but this is an absolutely ridiculous thing to say! The park could have targeted the family market, quite easily, with this attraction. Instead they've given it a "your worst nightmare, underground" advertising campaign, along with giving it a 1.4M height restriction and apparently a 12A certificate.

This ride is not aimed at families. This is aimed at the same audience as Nemesis itself, thrill seekers. It might be a different type of experience, but the target market is what the target market is.

Ice Age was the family installation for this year. :)

Dormiens-Dave

Tue May 01, 2012 9:28 pm

AstroDan wrote:
The actual responses have improved since opening, and there are more improvements to come.

It's just a case of continuing to give it time.

Shoot me but I quite enjoyed it when I rode 2 weeks ago... actually screamed slightly when some of the effects kicked off!

:P

I enjoy the crab video :)

Seriously though if more major improvements come in then it may become a great ride, after all Hex did. And if they do make improvements it will demonstrate that Towers finally are wanting to be top of their game. Shame its taking half of the seasons worth of bad PR to get there.

mrbrightside
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 01, 2012 9:31 pm

@Whoever mentioned the family market.

Alton isn't simply a family market. Yes, THORPE PARK caters almost exclusively for thrills but that does not make Alton the 'family' park. It is a park for everyone, it's the UK's best park and thus it needs to cater for all tastes. Hence the addition of Ice Age alongside Sub Terra.

If Alton was just for families, what are the plans for SW7 meant to represent?

Claiming Alton is now for families is no excuse for the ride's failings... it was designed to be a thrill or at least scary and was marketed as such. The ride has fallen short of its target market.
ImageImage

garyh
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 01, 2012 10:21 pm

I know its not simply a family market, but its the direction Alton are heading.  Its marketed as a family resort, with family hotels, a family golf course, a family waterpark, and with mostly family rides.  Thirteen was aimed at kids and younger teens, and Sub Terra the same. 

Forget the marketing.  Frightening marketing sells, just look at Scarefest.  Alton market it as a scary attraction and thousands turn up to be scared.  The hotels are fully booked with families wanting a scare.  Whether you get the scare or not doesnt matter because Alton have achieved their goal of selling tickets.  Look at scary movies, the more scary it sounds, the more people go to see it.  Same with theme park rides, advertise it as they scariest thing since Vanessa Felps and people will turn up in their droves.

Ice Age was a family attraction yes, and so is Sub Terra.  Nothing to say Alton cant introduce 2 family attractions in one year.  And Alton isnt "now" for families, its been the direction of the park for years now and will continue to be in the future.  You will have SW7 next year but dont expect any further white knuckle attractions for another 3-4 years after it.......