UK theme parks from another point of view!

Dormiens-Dave

Re: Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (May Contain Spoilers)

Wed May 02, 2012 8:42 pm

I think Towers genuinely requested a Thrill ride but that's not what they got.

To be fair to Alton Towers the management and marketing are not ride designers, if the people building it don't deliver then that's for Towers to sort out but not Marketing fault, i trust many of the Towers management to know what a thrill ride feels like and its no secret Towers where not happy with the finished product as unlike Th13teen they have gone back and tried to fix it.

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 02, 2012 8:45 pm

That's a very interesting idea Islander. I'm not sure how much of a factor this could be but I noticed the same as you. However I do agree that a lot of this is down to the media being more excited by thrill rides, making anything not thrill rather hard to market.
ImageImage

Squiggles
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 03, 2012 1:12 am

Sazzle wrote:
Until something gets me in that bottom chamber, I shan't bother with anything more than 10 or 15 minutes queue.

Best.... sentence.... ever!
Edwardo..... move me!

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 03, 2012 2:01 am

Islander wrote:
An interesting thought I've been having recently about Thirteen, and I wonder if it may be applicable to Sub Terra:

The marketing manager behind Thirteen's publicity very clearly didn't have a 'head for thrills', for want of a better term. She was very clear about this at the Thirteen evening, and the video showing her testing the drop mechanism during off-site construction demonstrated it quite well. Therefore, would it be reasonable to assume that, to her, the thrills in Thirteen were greatly exaggerated?

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if that had a bearing on the marketing - she was lovely when I met her, and although her strategies were (exceedingly) questionable, perhaps she did just believe that Thirteen is far, far more thrilling than it genuinely is.

That's what I've been thinking about Thirteen, wonder how much it's applicable to Sub Terra. I know it isn't true of the guy behind the tweets, but I've no idea how much he's behind the rest of the marketing, and if it's a similar person to during the Thirteen era...

I dunno. Just my thoughts, and I realise they're fairly jumbled, in small part to keeping names out :P

I quite agree with you and think you've raised an extremely interesting point. So it begs the question, do these marketing people actually experience the other "thrill" rides for themselves, both at their own parks and others? They would have to have a feeling of all the current rides at Alton Towers to be able to say "our new ride thrills to x amount".

Coming from a marketing background myself, I don't see how you can successfully market a product that you don't have a full understanding of. And this I think is what has happened, and may be happening still.

More importantly, none of that matters anyway if you're going to tell people how they are supposed to feel. It's incredibly bad sales and marketing technique. Any fool can go round shouting about how amazing a product is but you're just setting people up for a fall.

Anyway, the current marketing manager isn't the guy doing the tweeting is it? I'm sure its the woman who was being interviewed about Sub Terra's BBFC nonsense.

Noticed as well how all the current top dogs at Alton Towers keep a low profile. Unlike the days of Russel Barnes, Morwenna etc, amongst others. Perhaps they got too much stick?
Last edited by PeteB on Thu May 03, 2012 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dormiens-Dave

Thu May 03, 2012 2:04 am

The lady being interviewed about the BBFC nonsense isn't the marketing director, we wont likely hear as much from the new marketing director as we did from Morwenna,

I really genuinely dont think Terry is a marketing mistake this time round (Th13teen was), Towers wanted a thrill ride which they didn't get from the ride designers.

Thats not to take responsibility from Towers management as they need to control their projects more vigorously

Satch

Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (May Contain Spoilers)

Thu May 03, 2012 8:22 am

I've offered to get Saz in the bottom chamber many many times, but she always turns me down!

Balb0wa
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 03, 2012 8:28 pm

I went on sub terra on opening day, didnt rate it at all, like all the others getting off it.

Went back today, 25-30 min queue, biggest queue on the park, and thought it was much better, lots of tweaks, really enjoyed it, everyone who got off enjoyed it, well done Alton Towers  :)

Voke
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 03, 2012 8:49 pm

What tweaks did you notice? There was rumours that ABC were on park yesterday doing yet more improvements. Good to see that they're still trying to rectify their mistakes and improve the attraction! :)

thefatone
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 03, 2012 8:52 pm

ABC haven't been on site for weeks.

Candy Holland, and an AV company on the other hand..

Charlee
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 03, 2012 8:53 pm

I don't like how people keep criticizing the drop, the ride isn't really about the drop, in fact its not really a ride, its an experience.

In my opinion, the pre show, staff, drop, effects and themeing all come together to create one of the best experiences the Towers have produced in a while. Sure its not that thrilling, but everyone comes off with a smile, and surely that's the most important thing?
I used to think I knew a lot about coasters, but then I joined this forum.

ukool
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 03, 2012 9:50 pm

Went on this today for the first time, i enjoyed it and i really didnt expect to after reading up on it. The staff were fantastic, the effects on the drop were brill, the lift scared me more then i thought it would.

That said i dont think id que more then 20 mins for it, but its a great filler.

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 04, 2012 5:06 am

Dormiens-Dave wrote:
I really genuinely dont think Terry is a marketing mistake this time round (Th13teen was), Towers wanted a thrill ride which they didn't get from the ride designers.

But that wouldn't really make much sense. Dark rides/experience rides are never thrilling, they're just supposed to be cool, driven by story and effects! Therefore if you take a dark ride and try to market it as a thrill ride, then naturally you're gonna let people down.

So anyways, how does the new Terry compare to Hex?

Benzin
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 04, 2012 10:45 am

Fully working Hex or quiet and unable to park Hex? :P

Hex is the more atmospheric and creepy ride, but to me that's because of the location within the Towers rather than anything else, so it's unfair to take that against Terry because there are very few rides that have the same experience factor as Hex...

MatthewR1990
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 04, 2012 11:02 am

I actually enjoyed Sub-Terra. I found it fun. And it gave me a few scares. What more can you want from an attraction, very well done in my opinion.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.

Keira
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 05, 2012 3:59 pm

I'm disabled so when I go on Sub-Terra on my trip tomorrow, I'll most likely be using the disabled entrance. Does anyone know whether this skips any parts of the preshow or anything out? It would be a shame to miss a part of the ride just because I'm going through the disabled entrance.

Don't_Look_Down
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 05, 2012 4:11 pm

I went on Sub-Terra last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. Really, the effects and themeing were top notch. Great little addition to Forbidden Valley IMO.
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!

Coke
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 05, 2012 4:16 pm

Keira wrote:
I'm disabled so when I go on Sub-Terra on my trip tomorrow, I'll most likely be using the disabled entrance. Does anyone know whether this skips any parts of the preshow or anything out? It would be a shame to miss a part of the ride just because I'm going through the disabled entrance.

I think you still get the full experience so don't worry!  :D

Are you thirsty?

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 05, 2012 5:15 pm

Keira wrote:

My first ride was with someone who was disabled so I can guaranty you won't miss anything. There's just about enough room in each lift for one disabled guest to fit.
ImageImage

thefatone
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 05, 2012 5:18 pm

You'll miss the queueline stuff - but majority of people miss that on park, and they're online anyway :)

lozzyhickers
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 06, 2012 11:57 am

Went on yesterday, first time since openong day where I enjoyed it anyway! The toocklers and pokers really add to the experience, and everyone on our ride was screaming and commenting on how great it was! And this continuted for a lot of cycles. Really happy how opinions are beginning to change.