UK theme parks from another point of view!

siralgenon
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (**contains spoilers**)

Sat May 26, 2012 9:54 pm

I experience Sub-Terra twice today and I can now safely say the experience finally feels complete. I'll give my experience in bullet points so you don't have to read through an essay:

Queue Line

- A quick negative, most screens were blurry today and most of the audio was either not working or so quite you couldn't hear.

Decent Elevators

-Both elevators (1&2) now vibrate quite turbulently, and actually feel like they are moving, new loud sound effects also add to the experience.

Observation Chamber

-The core now features an all new sequence and show.

-A new 'egg introduction video' welcoming guests to the Phalanx Observation Chamber and describing the latest findings.

-All effects now work, these include:
  - Leg ticklers
  - Back pokers
  - Breathing on the neck
  - In seat speakers
  - Air blasts under seats
  - Water effects

- New countdown to detox and detonation of the chamber with countdown screens.

Exit Elevators corridor and loading

- This corridor is now filled with smoke, air cannons and strobe lighting as if the monster is in the room with you!

Exit Elevators

- Both elevators now feel more realistic and include, smoke and air cannons.
- The panels can now be seen breaking.

'Quarantine' (Exit Corridor)

-Live actors with bloody faces, gas masks, boiler suits and flash lights enter the elevators and shine their lights in everyone's faces (elevators are in total darkness)

-You enter the 'Quarantine' corridor which is filled with strobe lighting, loud bangs, and air cannons which attack you from every angle while actors lurch out from behind walls and mental fences.

-'Escape' announcements are played as guests run from the building.

starbugger1303
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 26, 2012 9:59 pm

I have to say what they have done to the ride is fantastic!

1.Improved descent lift, feels a lot more realistic, with a new sound effect and better vibrations. However, I think the noise sort of drown out the sound of the screens.

2. Lovely atmospheric cave section, feels a lot colder and I love the new dripping sounds...

3. The Central Core is the same apart from the different lights, lighting up the egg.

4.The new audio explaining the egg's origin is a whole lot better. It explains it so much better than it used to.It also explains that is thought to be related to the 'Legendary Nemesis monster' It's a lot longer than the original.

5. Okay, the bottom of the drop section, I have to say is one of the (for me) scariest parts. The eggs are absolutely beautiful, the changing lights inside the eggs are absolutely stunning. The monster roaring around you, was actually quite scary; Great use of surround  sound. Oh my, I was not expecting the air blasts behind your heads! The whole experience down their was a bit like Stitch's Great Escape (I can't say about it's predescer, as I never had a chance to experience it)

6.Back in the main chamber, the lights are very well used, with the strobes going off in time with the sirens. The countdown I have to say is a very good idea! The walkway between the core and the exit lifts, was literaryly filled with smoke and strobes. I have to say it was difficult to see where I was walking.

7. The exit lift was basically the same as before, however there have been more air cannon style devices added to the scene and smoke is being poured it.

8. Right now the exciting part. When the elevator doors open, a quite large man enters dressed in bog standard Phalanx uniform and a gas mask. He is also equipped with a torch, that he shine in guest's faces before he instructs them to leave. As djtruefitt, guests in the left lift are told to proceed straight away, when the people in the right lift are being held back by a Phalanx operative, fitted again with a gas mask and blood on their face. The strobe maze, I have to say is very intense. Felt very much like Boiler House in a way. The use of hanging fabric and black flaps are very well exacuted. The strobes are absolutely fantastic, very strong, and hard to see where you are going in some places.

The experience is 150% better now. It is now my favorite dark ride on park, beating Hex by a mile! It is, for me, 'One of the Resort's most terrifying attractions', as I well knew when I came out shaking the first time....

I applaud Alton Towers for their efforts, and it just goes to show, listening to guest feedback does go a long way!

Thank you Alton Towers.... :) 

Satch

Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (**contains spoilers**)

Sat May 26, 2012 11:53 pm

I agree with Bear. The changes dont sound to me like they will improve the experience, at least for me. The 'addition' of the scare maze at the end seems quite a strange decision to me. If it was meant to be part of the experience then why wasn't it there from the start?

It's clearly a revisional change, but to me it smells of 'people aren't scared, what can we add to make it scary?' I know, a 'scare maze'

I'm never going to enjoy Sub Terra in afraid. Poor concept from the start that has now been plastered over no end

aru
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 27, 2012 12:02 am

It is quite defeatist to say 'whatever they do I won't like it' - I would at least ride the thing before making comments like that. Everyone knows that it is a revision to the ride, that is what it needed!

Joelio

Sun May 27, 2012 12:47 am

Really glad to hear about the improvements, but where's the proper 'scare' in the crypt. Should certainly be the focal point of the attraction and it still seems to be neglected...

Will reserve judgement till i've ridden it, as ever :)

garyh
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 27, 2012 12:54 am

Im going to try this out in a week or two but feel somewhat disappointed that Altons answer to this was to just had a brief scare maze at the end with some strobes and black drape.  Seems a bit of a cop out and detached from the rest of the ride and its concept. 

....... I just dont get it!!!! 

mrbrightside
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 27, 2012 1:08 am

I don't get how anybody can be criticising the addition of a scare as the end as a cop out or something that isn't good for the ride. Alton didn't have to go back to the ride and tweak it. They could have left it as v1.5. They certainly didnt have to close it for the best part of a week, spend more money and hire permanent actors.

From the sounds of it, this mini maze finishes the attraction rather than seemingly like a pointless add-on. The idea makes sense too. The effects in the core apparently make it seem much more like the monster has come in close contact with you, thus a contamination theme would make sense. Add to that the idea that Phalanx operatives have been trapped etc in some way while you try to escape makes room for good scares!

While I guess it could all be described as 'a shipping container with some blokes, fabric, air and lights' - if it scares people and adds to the experience then who cares? Anything can be described in a pessimistic way... I'm off to ride some rusty metal that goes through an MDF monster with some peeling paint. Doesn't stop nemesis being awesome though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ImageImage

garyh
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 27, 2012 1:21 am

Brightside your totally missing my point.....

While nemesis may be rusty metal that goes through an MDF monster, its all within the same theme.  I dont get the idea behind the scare maze at the end......  Yeah ok they have improved the actual ride experience, but what the heck has a scare maze with people in gas masks got to do with the "safe" complex and the egg hatching?  Plus, do we really think this maze with the live actors is going to run every single day, all day with the same level of intensity? 

I agree Alton didnt have to go back and tweak it but any idiot can add a quick maze at the end, hang some black drapes and put two actors in gas masks and a strobe light!!!  Anyway, im not saying its bad or anything, im going to try it myself in a week or so, but I cant help but feel that while the actual ride and lift improvements are welcome, this bit at the end maybe (to me) makes the experience feel a bit disjointed.  Will wait to see.

aru
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 27, 2012 1:48 am

Jesus the pessimism on here is rife! I don't get what people expect, even when the reviews are good..

Brazilian13Guy
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 27, 2012 2:44 am

I didn't understand! Last week people were happy about the new scare maze and addition to sub-terra experience. And now, this looks like poor or unnecessary. 

Yeah, i know that the actors will work a lot all the day in the park, but this is their function! Maybe Alton Towers is trying to bring the alien to the people and involve the monster much more in the story.

If the maze can't be so scary, at least the guests will be nervous and worried.

Big Dave

Sun May 27, 2012 4:53 am

Im going on it today all being well so will hold my maun judgements, but I do agree that a maze/scarezone does seen a slightly strange addition to the ride. We said it needed better pacing and more effects inside, but instead got a maze at the end.

Saying that, I know they have done work inside too so maybe it will be better inside too...

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2

AstroDan

Sun May 27, 2012 7:01 am

The 'oh my god it is pessimistic on here' people are as bad as any pessimism itself.

Read through the past few pages. Comments are mostly positive.

I maintain my view that this attraction has been much improved, but they now, as a final improvement, need to give the last part some narrative that makes it link to the rest of the experience.

:)

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

Poison Tom 96

Sun May 27, 2012 7:28 am

I think the actors will improve over time as they can work out what scares people the best :D

Dormiens-Dave

Sun May 27, 2012 8:19 am

Satch wrote:
I agree with Bear. The changes dont sound to me like they will improve the experience, at least for me. The 'addition' of the scare maze at the end seems quite a strange decision to me. If it was meant to be part of the experience then why wasn't it there from the start?

It's clearly a revisional change, but to me it smells of 'people aren't scared, what can we add to make it scary?' I know, a 'scare maze'

I'm never going to enjoy Sub Terra in afraid. Poor concept from the start that has now been plastered over no end

Yup its a revisional change but why is that bad, other parks do it all the time. The concept was a good one but badly executed... if they have improved the execution then im sure i can enjoy the ride. I just think for some Towers will never win, if they had left it alone people would have moaned. They have improved it and people are moaning before actually trying the change.

Anyway i'm riding it today and i was never a big fan of Terry so lets see if they can change my mind.

Satch

Sun May 27, 2012 9:11 am

I wouldn't say I'm pessimistic, I just don't think this 'experiences' is ever going to work for me. I commend them for making additions, and I know that for a lot of people this will be brilliant.

However I don't really get scare mazes, ad I don't get Sub Terra. Mixing them for me will not be a winning formula. I was expecting changes in the central chamber to create scares, but instead it seems to be "well the main ride isn't scary, let's add something on the end that might work instead"

xxTrixxx
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 27, 2012 9:49 am

I think what I wanna see is the actual MONSTER! Maybe a hologram or something, or like shadows.... and stuff

She wears short skirts I wear t-shirt's!

James
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 27, 2012 10:33 am

mrbrightside wrote:
I don't get how anybody can be criticising the addition of a scare as the end as a cop out or something that isn't good for the ride. Alton didn't have to go back to the ride and tweak it. They could have left it as v1.5. They certainly didnt have to close it for the best part of a week, spend more money and hire permanent actors.

From the sounds of it, this mini maze finishes the attraction rather than seemingly like a pointless add-on. The idea makes sense too. The effects in the core apparently make it seem much more like the monster has come in close contact with you, thus a contamination theme would make sense. Add to that the idea that Phalanx operatives have been trapped etc in some way while you try to escape makes room for good scares!

While I guess it could all be described as 'a shipping container with some blokes, fabric, air and lights' - if it scares people and adds to the experience then who cares? Anything can be described in a pessimistic way... I'm off to ride some rusty metal that goes through an MDF monster with some peeling paint. Doesn't stop nemesis being awesome though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree completely.

The add on finishes the experience off. It adds what was missing from the start, an ending.

Originally you escape the Nemesis monster (how?) and stroll out the exit (how?) without it coming up to kill us all as we walk out. It was a loose ending, it didn't make sense and it left guests confused as to what is (or what is meant to be) happening.

Now you do not escape the Nemesis monster as you enter a contamination area, an area where Phalanx operatives have been fighting the creature, trying to detain it from the public. However the creature is still around you, it's in this area, being fought off. You leave the ride on what you could say is a 'cliffhanger', one that leaves you (the guest) to use the imagination as to whether the creature has been killed/detained, or if it's killed all the Phalanx operatives upon your departure.

I feel it gives the experience the ending and completeness it was once missing. It lengthens the experience and no longer leaves guests with a 'wait, what just happened' look on their faces.

starbugger1303
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 27, 2012 11:23 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG_Z7uOK ... ature=plcp

I have uploaded a video showing the exit of the added scare maze. Also you can see the reactions of some guests...

:)

Bunbury
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 27, 2012 11:58 am

Looks like they've got a winner on their hands to me...

garyh
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 27, 2012 12:27 pm

Satch wrote:
....... Mixing them for me will not be a winning formula. I was expecting changes in the central chamber to create scares, but instead it seems to be "well the main ride isn't scary, let's add something on the end that might work instead"

Exactly my point I was trying to make.  Im not slating the ride and I am appreciative that AT have done more to the experience, but for me, I just dont see the connection between the two.  Now.... maybe if this happens it would follow up the experience nicely:

- return back up to the chamber after the drop
- egg is open and clouds of "gas" are bellowing out from it
- announcements warn of poision alien gas filling the room and 30 seconds to evac

At least then operatives in gas masks at the end "might" follow on the Nemesis alien story a bit better..... 

edit : just watched the YouTube exit video and yeah people do seem genuinely scared and happy to be out - but this makes me think, are they feeling like this from the actual original ride , or just because of the scare maze at the end.....  if its just the scare maze (which I think is the case) then AT could have saved a hell of a lot of money and just built a scare maze with no ride experience!  If you watch people coming out of any of the Scarefest mazes you'll see similar reactions.
Last edited by garyh on Sun May 27, 2012 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.