UK theme parks from another point of view!

3T
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (**contains spoilers**)

Sun May 27, 2012 5:22 pm

Went on Sub-Terra for the first time yesterday, and I thought it was amazing! They have put a lot of effort into this ride and the special effects & actors are superb. It felt like I was in one of the Alien films during an action sequence.

I especially loved the countdown and rush to the exit lift. The special effects all worked together really well to make you believe something was actually happening all around you.

There was somebody outside asking for feedback on the ride so I left a very positive review :)

Benzin
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 27, 2012 6:00 pm

Satch wrote:
As for the story, it still seems incongruous that the exit from what was supposed to be a visitor attraction run by Phalanx is a quarantine area with Phalanx staff so ready to act. But hey.

But Phalanx operatives are resourceful, and no doubt would have certain procedures in place just in case the eggs would hatch...

It all makes sense really...

starbugger1303
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 27, 2012 6:06 pm

I hate how everyone is taking everything so seriously, and thinking about unnecessary scenarios.

Look, it's themed attraction with a story. There's no need to think like 'Oh wait that's just not realistic, that so wouldn't happen'. Listen you're in a Theme Park, away from reality. For a few minutes in this attraction, you can become so involved in the whole experience and just forget about 'why is that' and thinking 'that wouldn't happen'.

You're there to have fun and enjoy it.. Just everybody chill out....

*Rant over*

:)

Joelio

Sun May 27, 2012 6:17 pm

*redacted*

That attitude right there is why we got a substandard attraction in the first place, Towers are now striving for realism and believeability and are stepping upto the mark. This is a rhetorical question but, would The Tower of Terror still be as good if it was just 3 shot and drop towers playing 1930's music?
Last edited by Joelio on Sun May 27, 2012 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrbrightside
TT Member
TT Member

Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (**contains spoilers**)

Sun May 27, 2012 6:24 pm

No need to redact what you put... It hit the nail on the head of realism while being tongue-in-cheek xD. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ImageImage

Joelio

Sun May 27, 2012 6:27 pm

mrbrightside wrote:
No need to redact what you put... It hit the nail on the head of realism while being tongue-in-cheek xD. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe, but I found the tone to be a tad harsh! The stuff that remains should add the flavour without the unecessary attitude :)

Satch

Sun May 27, 2012 6:29 pm

By that logic I could do and see THE WORST film in history at the cinema, but for the 3 hours of its duration I would be ecstatic and amazed by how good it is, because I am in a cinema.

I personally am content on being able to look at attractions objectively and form my own opinion as to whether I enjoyed it. Your comment there is exactly what is meant by absorbing the hype

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 27, 2012 6:29 pm

To be fair starbugger does have a point. If the people who have been on the latest version are saying its good then it doesn't really matter how realistic it is. If it's good then it's good. I just wanted to get a clearer understanding of what was going on at the end and see if there was some logical sense to it. It would have been an added bonus if it did make sense but then most theme park rides are built of old clichés and don't make much sense anyway.

CoventryBee
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 27, 2012 6:44 pm

With a scare maze. I'm now looking forward to seeing what they do with Sub-Terra in Scarefest. ;)

Vanessa Feltz
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 27, 2012 6:46 pm

Just to put some people correct in this topic, the actors are not wearing boiler suits, they are wearing the standard Phalanx Uniform, just with an added gas mask.
Previously Site Team!
"Thinks he knows it all"

siralgenon
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 27, 2012 7:28 pm

Tugboat wrote:
Just to put some people correct in this topic, the actors are not wearing boiler suits, they are wearing the standard Phalanx Uniform, just with an added gas mask.

When I went on sub-terra yesterday there was definitely one actor wearing a white boiler suite with a full gas mask, as he entered the elevator. However I didn't see what the other where wearing.

thefatone
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 27, 2012 7:51 pm

mrbrightside wrote:
In fact, anyone who has been on V2, is there a cracking sound when the lights go off before you are brought back up to the surface? If so, something like that is definitely being missed out on.

Yes. There's water suggesting more have cracked open as well.

Wish people would actually slate the attraction after riding it instead of just presuming what will happen now or in the future? Then again, you cannot go a few weeks without being reminded how negative ttf members really are ;)

JoshC
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 27, 2012 8:27 pm

thefatone wrote:
mrbrightside wrote:
In fact, anyone who has been on V2, is there a cracking sound when the lights go off before you are brought back up to the surface? If so, something like that is definitely being missed out on.

Wish people would actually slate the attraction after riding it instead of just presuming what will happen now or in the future? Then again, you cannot go a few weeks without being reminded how negative ttf members really are ;)

Nobody seems to have mentioned the extra eggs that have been added in the nest, which are cracked open aswell showing that more than one has escaped.

Anyway, even if people on here arent impressed with it, the public sure are now, loads of people i've spoken to in the park have said it was awesome, and after standing outside the exit watching guests come out in floods of tears, i guess that means it lives up to it's reputation.... finally :P

Joelio

Sun May 27, 2012 8:38 pm

thefatone wrote:
mrbrightside wrote:

Wish people would also understand that not everyone is within a stonesthrow of the park and so rely heavily on accurate retellings of attractions to get a better picture of events...

oldgitBEN

Sun May 27, 2012 8:41 pm

Huh, it seems that the lower scene is still rather hit and miss for experience.

Is the lighting set properly now so people see the eggs? As I found with v1.5 frequently the lighting didnt come on, and I wonder if it is still an issue now.

Im glad to read there is something additional to see down there, but still, it appears there isnt a defined 'event' to see. To be dragged down there you expect there to be some magnificent scene, a few pokey eggs whether split or not, isnt really it.

I know the ride is still under another observation period, and I am *thrilled* Alton towers have taken so much time and effort to re-do the ride, so Im hoping that perhaps they can still re-sort the lower scene, just to add further to what is becoming a very good experience.

Satch

Sun May 27, 2012 8:50 pm

Joelio wrote:
thefatone wrote:
mrbrightside wrote:

Wish people would also understand that not everyone is within a stonesthrow of the park and so rely heavily on accurate retellings of attractions to get a better picture of events...

I would also wish that people realise discussion involves positive and negative comments. It's well known I can't be doing with all the enthusiast fapping, but if TTF was full of easily please 'yes' people, then it would be a very dull place indeed.

Sometimes it bothers me that members seem to hold a superiority complex over people who have something negative to say. You may not have meant it, but the way words are constructed have a very powerful meaning.

I'm on the whole not a negative person. But I I have something to say that is negative and goes against the grain of other opinions, then I am free to say it. It's still constructive, and if you read my posts you will see I have been very clear that it's a personal opinion, and I am happy of other people enjoy the 'experience'. I however am not so easily taken in by it

mrbrightside
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 27, 2012 8:54 pm

It appears then, from reports, that the ride is now popular and feels 'complete' - although something is still missing from the core after the drop. I'm encouraged by the extra water and cracking sounds (as well as static open eggs) as this allows the effects on the way back up to make more sense, however I'm interested to know whether those who have been on it think the core actually needs something extra? As so far it seems as though it is us that have not yet ridden V2 who want there to be something extra...

The park will still be tweaking the ride before summer though.
ImageImage

AstroDan

Sun May 27, 2012 8:54 pm

Again, the general response on this forum is positive. Please, I wish people would stop with the 'look how negative TTF are' rubbish. I was with 18 others off this forum on the ride today and everyone was feeling positive about it.

Ben - the lighting in the pit has been entirely reworked!

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

Big Dave

Sun May 27, 2012 8:55 pm

I enjoyed the ride experience today. Ok its not perfect and STILL feel something needs to be done un the lower drop section (smoke/eggs lit from inside/blood red background lighting), but all in all there is a lot more panic. People feel they have to escape, which is exactly what they ride is trying to achieve. So clearly something is working right! As for the scaremaze, its a bit hit and miss, as later when I was on, the guests in front were holding the black drapes up and letting loads of light in, but yet again, its something that can be tweaked.

All in all I love the improvements. A million times better than it was.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2

Squiggles
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 27, 2012 9:04 pm

What.... an... improvement.

It no longer feels like a ride in desperate need of updating. It no longer feels like a clunking failure. It has moved away from "alright" and is something closer to the ride the park were wanting it to be and a satisfactory small scale addition.

After all who doesn't love DISCO EGGS!!
Edwardo..... move me!